Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 05:57 AM

245 posts, read 448,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
You're right about Bloomington. Notre Dame is the same way. More people know what Notre Dame is than where it is located. Most will say it's in South Bend, but if you as alumni, they will say it's in Notre Dame Indiana ... which technically, is true.
Way to hijack the thread. And since you have, is South Bend still a disappointing city to live in? Most Big Ten towns such as Bloomington, Ann Arbor, Madison, Champaign-Urbana and Iowa City are much nicer towns to spend your college years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 06:20 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,756,420 times
Dang Lazy ... what's your problem. I didn't go to ND (grew up near there). In fact, sweetie. I not only went to IU for graduate school, I also worked at the law library (we may know each other). So please take a little time to regroup and chill.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:59 AM

245 posts, read 448,176 times
Quote:
Dang Lazy ... what's your problem. I didn't go to ND (grew up near there). In fact, sweetie. I not only went to IU for graduate school, I also worked at the law library (we may know each other). So please take a little time to regroup and chill.
You actually may want to follow your own advice and "...take a little time to regroup and chill.". I was only joking about hijacking the thread.

You didn't answer my question?

Old 08-10-2009, 07:14 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,756,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyT View Post
You actually may want to follow your own advice and "...take a little time to regroup and chill.". I was only joking about hijacking the thread.

You didn't answer my question?
Lazy ... sorry, the emotion button on my computer must be broken.

Blowhard ... hijack ... just reading at face value, friend.

what was the question ... about South Bend being disappointing? Ummmmm ... no? I did ok.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:58 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,367,100 times
No panties in a perpetual bunch. I simply think if someone is seriously considering a university, at the very least one should be able to get the name correct. This is even more the case when one says one is going to be a grad student. If someone can't get the name correct, I must assume that one is not serious about the place. Given that, I won't waste valuable time answering questions and thus recommended the search function. I've spent lots of time answering serious questions and addressed the exact issues the OP asked about. I happily repeat myself for serious posters.

Name calling is never appropriate LazyT. It truly shows a lazy mind.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:14 AM

5,478 posts, read 12,255,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnsoftheMoon View Post
Bloomington is the best place to live in Indiana. You will love it. I grew up there, went to IU for both degrees. IU is a great school to attend, just not to work for.
Could you expand on this? I'm considering a position at IU (not a teaching position)

Old 08-15-2009, 03:33 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,847,753 times
Quote:
I always think it's funny when people who went to the University of Kansas refer to the place as KU ... wha??? Huh???? Ok .. plaidmom ... it's IU, not UI and and and ... if you go to Indiana University ... nowhere does it state University of Indiana. Meeeoowww!!!

I guess Indiana is quirky with school names. But I dare anyone to say Michigan University ... you think we Hoosiers got prickly???
The only parallel in names to IU is West Virginia University.

Three states use "state" in the name of their primary public flagship:
Ohio State, Penn State, LSU. And only one, Ruters, goes with no mention of the state's name or the word state in anything but its extended name.

KU just follows the old Big Eight Conference system of reversing initials which, when the Big Twelve came into existence happily didn't have us calling the Univ of Texas "TU"

Old 08-15-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickp View Post
We have much of the same thing in Evansville. We're so close to Illinois, that the IU/UI mixup is common. Add USI (formerly ISUE), which gets mixed up with ISU up the road in Terre Haute. IUSE is a couple of hours east on I-64. Go west a couple of hours and you'll come to SIU. U of E doesn't really get mixed up with anyone, except for the running debate about whether it should be called "U of E" or just "UE."
You think that is bad as is, crickp. It is even worse in the Three I's region (IN, IL, IA) back at the time when Iowa State went from college (ISC) to university (ISU). Back then, the school in Iowa City was the State University of Iowa. When mail for ISU and SUI was getting hopelessly mixed up, the Big Ten institution dropped the "state".

Old 08-15-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
You're right about Bloomington. Notre Dame is the same way. More people know what Notre Dame is than where it is located. Most will say it's in South Bend, but if you as alumni, they will say it's in Notre Dame Indiana ... which technically, is true.
and Stanford is in Stanford, CA, not in Palo Alto. Same deal goes for Penn State: State College is the town; the university is legally in an invention called University Park.

BTW, rather than add another post on this thread I just put on overload:

IU may be the most "unpublic" like state university campus I have ever seen. Through scale of building size, integration into its natural setting, and just an overall mellow feel, it is the opposite of the virtually urban packed and sterile enivornments that sadly too many public universities have become.

And the IU set up is strictly win/win: it gets all the advantages of humanly designed place where architecture (the limestone buildings adding such distinctiveness) and nature create such beauty without removing the feel of being on a totally major and advanced university campus.

Old 08-15-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyT View Post
Way to hijack the thread. And since you have, is South Bend still a disappointing city to live in? Most Big Ten towns such as Bloomington, Ann Arbor, Madison, Champaign-Urbana and Iowa City are much nicer towns to spend your college years.
I like your list. Bloomington, Iowa City, Ann Arbor, and Madison are total gems. but as for Illinois, I'd give Evanston a definite nod over Champaign-Urbana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana