Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 10:53 AM

196 posts, read 697,190 times

Advertisements

Sometimes there is a great deal of humor in the Indiana public university system. my favorite is in the IUPUI graduation ceremony which goes something like this "Will all those stand who are candidates for the Indiana University degrees of ... in Earth Science from the Purdue School of Science"

Purdue granting IU degrees - priceless.

IU and Purdue have joint campuses in Fort Wayne - administered by Purdue
and Indianapolis - administered by IU.

Then there's the IU Purdue campus in Columbus administered by IUPUI. Second cousin once removed sort of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 11:08 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,358,184 times
Somewhere in this post someone asked about the name of Ball State. The Ball brothers, of glass jar fame, donated the land where the campus stands today.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:56 PM

52 posts, read 191,972 times
Actually, the original Ball State campus consisted of the current Administration building built in 1898. It opened as Eastern Indiana Normal University and closed in 1902. It reopened and closed several times with different names over time before closing for good sometime in the 1910's. The Ball brothers then purchased the campus and buildings, which consisted of the "Ad" building and Forest Hall, a dormitory that stood between "Benny" and Lucina Hall. They donated the campus to the state, and Indiana State Normal School Eastern Division opened in 1918. Because of their generosity, it was renamed Ball Teachers College in 1922 and then Ball State Teachers College in 1929. In 1965, the Indiana General Assembly renamed the college Ball State University.

Last edited by BCLead; 09-17-2009 at 08:18 PM..

Old 12-15-2009, 03:45 AM

37 posts, read 61,601 times
I think I might have to agree with you, LazyT. It's not so much WHAT was said, as was HOW it came across. In other words, I feel that the "tone of voice" was rather arrogant and downright mean. I just feel there could have been a more cordial way to speak to someone who is interested in the town and college. I know I would have second thoughts about attending IU if I thought this was the norm in Bloomington and on campus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyT View Post
You definitely should take a long hard look in your personal mirror of reality. And then take a highly potent chill pill.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:50 AM

37 posts, read 61,601 times
Are you KIDDING??!! I checked out some real estate listings for your area and, believe me, the housing is dirt CHEAP in Bloomington! Try coming to CA and experiencing OUR housing market. Particularly on the coast. And, that's even with the lower home prices now. Nope---you just don't know how good you've got it when it comes to the cost of homes, new or otherwise. ENJOY it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeahMon View Post

The housing market is nuts. If you don't earn a decent six figure salary, you can just about forget trying to afford a brand new home here. And that's pretty much all they are building, are luxury homes.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:04 AM

265 posts, read 964,795 times
Don't forget though, that wages are higher in California. No, the difference doesn't make up for the disparity in home costs, but it's a consideration.

I am a registered nurse. When I moved from California to Indiana, I interviewed at a local hospital. When the conversation came to salary, I was stunned. It was half of what I had made in the Bay Area. Way back then, the cost of living wasn't as high in California either (this was before the real estate boom and Prop. 13 changed everything). Salaries have gotten better, but they still aren't the same (around a 20k to 30k per year difference, on average).

I love Indiana and glad I'm here, all things considered. Over time, we've come out ahead financially and we'll have more security in our old age. I have a lot of friends in California who are leaving because they simply cannot afford to retire there.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:12 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,302,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RescueAPet View Post
I think I might have to agree with you, LazyT. It's not so much WHAT was said, as was HOW it came across. In other words, I feel that the "tone of voice" was rather arrogant and downright mean. I just feel there could have been a more cordial way to speak to someone who is interested in the town and college. I know I would have second thoughts about attending IU if I thought this was the norm in Bloomington and on campus.
I think some of you folks need to stop being so sensitive

Old 12-15-2009, 12:14 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,744,693 times
ok rescue ... real estate in Bloomington, compared to the rest of the state is FREAKING EXPENSIVE. When we were considering bloomington, we couldn't believe what was to be had for the money. So yea, coming from California, it may look like pennies on the dollar, but for average state citizens, Bloomington is probably one of the more expensive places to live. Same thing with West lafayette.

As for tones and attitudes ... well, you get what you give and if there's a problem, let me know.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,298 times
Bloomington is a great place to buy. More expensive than the rest of southern Indiana, but it's also a much more stable market. Prices here were hardly touched by the recession; it's all about IU keeping home sales stable. <mod cut ... can't advertise real estate here>

Last edited by domergurl; 11-17-2010 at 04:40 AM..

Old 11-27-2010, 11:10 PM

30 posts, read 121,246 times
I'm glad someone created this thread! I have been accepted to graduate school at IUB for the spring and will be starting classes on January 10. My husband and I will be moving from Albuquerque, NM. We are in our 30's and are looking for a quiet place to live, but are unfamiliar with the neighborhoods. We're looking to rent a small house, duplex or townhome or would consider an apartment if it's above a homeowner's garage or some similar arrangement. I am done living in apartment complexes, so that's not an option. Anyone have any neighborhood recommendations?
Also, I've been reading about the noise rules in Bloomington and how the city has devoted additional funding to get police out to enforce the ordinances. Is this true or is it just lip service? Is Bloomington quiet or are there students partying it up on the lawn of their rental house every night of the week? I appreciate your opinions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana