Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 07:30 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,748,087 times

Advertisements

loads of parties on and around campus .... beware Little 500 weekend ...

where are your classes going to be? IU's campus is huge. There are nice home rentals on the south side of campus, off 3rd street, but they are coveted and it would be a stinking hike if your classes are at Kelly or SPEA, but would be very convenient if you are law students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 883 times
Default Moving to Bloomington in Jan '11

I was born & raised here in Blgt (Bacon, Lettuce, Garnish & Tomato) Having been both a landlord & a student here at IU ( I read earlier in this thread about the University of Indiana- Like in the movie " Breaking Away" it's called the U of I because if you say IU you have to Pay IU a fee for using their name. Even the Local Paper (Herald Times/there is also the Indiana Daily Student) can only afford a picture of a IU logo thats on the outside of a old building like the way a gargoyle sits on top of a building. I would say 1st see the movie (its about all that was good in Blgt) About noise the further you are away from your neighbors the better. I would personally find a free standing house just outside the city limits to avoid all the red tape. In the city you get ticketed if you park in your front yard, if its not graveled or blacktop.& you get fined if you don't shovel your snow w.in 24 hrs.Outside the city you have to put up w/ open burning. Check the local papers for housing, or wait until you get here. If you work it you can probably get a lease for just as long as you want. 1yr or 1 sem. or 1 sem + summer until Aug 15.>most leases run from Aug to Aug but most allow subletting (kinda hard to do though) Parking is a bear on campus & off though. You have to get a permit to park in front of your own house & a separate permit to park anywhere on campus. You could just get a bicycle or park at the football stadium & catch a IU bus.(Like every 10 min) the city buses can only go on the perimeter of campus. All private cars are banned from campus unless u r a prof. yes there are cops on top of noise but still...my 2¢

Old 12-30-2010, 01:57 PM

4 posts, read 8,951 times
Please don't be offended or put off by all posters here about IU. I'd like to apologize for the rudeness.
IU is a great school. It's also very large. The community without the students is quite small. So, when you have tons of 18-24 year olds running around, you will have noise and problems. I lived on campus my first year and then got the heck out of town. I rented an apt on the outskirts of town and loved it. I rode the free city bus to class everyday but was away from the parties. There are parties, but realize that it's only because there are thousands of bored college kids.
The staff and faculty typically love their jobs and are very interested in their field. Maybe they are thought of as boring because they tend to have fun relating to their career. A fun event for some campus staff is to go to conventions and meet up with staff from other universities. Boring, right? They might sit at home at night and share a bottle of wine with friends. These are not the same people who climbed the street lamps when IU beat Duke and went to the final four. Those were the crazy students (myself included).
There are plenty of activities compared with the rest of Indiana. But, be forewarned. Some are alcohol related (Little 500), many are educational. Cool bands visit from time to time. Traveling shows visit as well. Indy is about an hour away if you wanna see NFL or NBA, or NASCAR.
Hope this helps. Feel free to post any specific questions and I can try to answer best as possible.
-IU grad and staff at regional campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana