Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 05:59 PM

157 posts, read 341,083 times

Advertisements

hello,
I am considering going to this university.
Can someone tell me how that area is. is it safe for kids?
Please list any pros/cons that you have about area.
I am from cA and have never been there so just want to get a feel for the area.
Thanks
P.S. also do you think one needs a car there to get around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 08:14 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
Before you even consider the university you should get the name correct. It's INDIANA UNIVERSITY. It's not now, nor has ever been, the Univ of Indiana.

Yes, it's safe for kids.
Whether you need a car or not depends upon where you live. There is a fine public transportation system that runs within the city limits, but it does not go our into the county areas.

I've written lots of responses to posts regarding the pros/cons. Use the search function.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:23 PM

Default no need to be rude

I apologize for getting the name slightly wrong but there is no need to be rude. i am from California so I am not familiar with Indiana at all.
I searched other posts but didn't come up with info.
In the future I would suggest to be more polite!!!

Old 07-25-2009, 04:21 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
rrah, like myself are Indiana University grads. If you go to IU's website, you'd see it as well, www.indiana.edu . I get irked when people say Notre Dame University too ... there's alumni pride in this state.

There are many threads regarding Bloomington/IU, here are a few to peruse:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=14484120

Old 07-25-2009, 05:03 PM

423 posts, read 1,248,054 times
Katerinaver, don't mind the people getting upset about you saying "University of Indiana" and I'm sorry they weren't exactly diplomatic--however, it is a local pride thing and considering that even the national media routinely botches it, people do get touchy. It's the same when people often think that Stanford University is one of the Ivy Leagues. Or when folks get Penn State and University of Pennsylvania mixed up, thinking they're both big state schools (the latter of the two actually IS an Ivy League).

Bloomington is a generally very safe and welcoming place, and many of IU's programs are top-ranked. I'm sure someone else can answer better than I can, but if you are moving to be a student, I don't think a car would be necessary at all (it might even be discouraged or outright forbidden for the younger undergrads). It's a bike friendly city and the campus is right next to the downtown; even the more suburban outer areas tend to have good sidewalks and trails though a car of course would be useful for large-scale shopping out there.

Last edited by chalcedony; 07-25-2009 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: misspellings

Old 07-27-2009, 12:16 PM

Default thanks

thanks all for your comments!
It was a big help!
yes I am a student graduate though!

Old 07-29-2009, 10:37 PM

607 posts, read 1,216,463 times
I just graduated from grad school at IU. I loved Bloomington. Hope you decide to go!

For a small city, Bloomington has a lot of cultural events and a variety of good restaurants. Cons are that its not a great place for shopping and difficult to get out of the city without a car (no bus or train station and the nearest airport is an hour away).

I think you will need a car to get around, especially if you have kids. It is difficult to park on campus so its easier to take the bus to class (and its free!)...but bus service ends at 6pm on the weekends, some city buses only run once an hour and you can't ge everywhere by bus.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:47 AM

196 posts, read 696,710 times
Actually, it's pretty easy to get from Bloomington to the Indianapolis Airport. There are a couple of shuttle services that make the trip several times daily with multiple pick-up points downtown and on campus.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:44 PM

thanks , any more comments about this area?

Old 08-07-2009, 07:12 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
I went to graduate school at IU and it was the best 2 years of my entire education experience. It's very family friendly ... it's beautiful, especially in the fall ... I don't know ... I'd move back to Bloomington in a heartbeat if I could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana