Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 01:01 PM

625 posts, read 1,801,968 times

Advertisements

Woke up this morning to read the news and was literally shocked when I heard this about a proposed Holiday resort located to the east of American Countryside in Elkhart. However, upon more thinking I began to realize that Elkhart/South Bend really lacks a vacation destination of their own. I actually think the idea will do wonders.

I was also shocked that they are planning to break ground this summer. What do you guys think of this? Will it come to fruition. I definitely have my doubts considering Elkhart County has gained notoriety as the poster child of the recession.

Here is the story! Enjoy!

Holiday Resort to Bring 500 Jobs to Elkhart County - Newsroom - Inside INdiana Business with Gerry Dick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 01:08 PM

912 posts, read 1,327,488 times
I hope it does come to pass Elkhart could use the jobs .Maybe they will eventually be known for something other than the RV capitol of the world .

Old 01-11-2010, 01:10 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,463,078 times
I thought they were getting rid of those recession posters. What's all this I've been hearing about Elkhart County area bouncing back with jobs coming back in the RV and Electric Vehicle fields?

Old 01-11-2010, 01:56 PM

625 posts, read 1,801,968 times
Elkhart is definitely getting jobs back, it is just a question of when. Nearly over 3,000 jobs have been announced with companies such as Electric Motors Corporation, Navistar/Monaco RV, Energy Inc., and Th!nk North America. Many of the RV companies are beginning to hire, just to mention a few like Keystone, Heartland, Jayco, and Dutchmen. Also, many start up RV companies have came in to fill a void such as Livin Lite, Evergreen RV, and some other small ones.

All of this in addition to over 15 companies who have committed to expand in the Elkhart area such as Cequent Towing Systems, MSC INdustrial Supply, Kem Krest, and Specialty Heat Treating just to name a few.

And then we have 500+ jobs, but I don't really count these as primary jobs besides management because they are mainly in the service sector. However, anything can help!

Hopefully, the companies that locate here can promise what they came for! jobs, jobs, jobs!

Old 01-11-2010, 04:39 PM

265 posts, read 961,179 times
I think it's wonderful! I would love to see Elkhart rebound and tourism is always a healthy boost to any town's economy.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:39 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,589,217 times
Not sure how this will work for Northern Indiana since a group is planning to build a water park, resort hotel, restaurants, retail, and an IMAX movie theater in downtown Fort Wayne.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:21 AM

2 posts, read 15,901 times
Elkhart desperately needs jobs and that’s a fact. I am quite certain that if the Hispanic illegals were all rounded up and deported every American in Elkhart who wanted a job would have a job.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:16 AM

55 posts, read 228,732 times
Default Like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Not sure how this will work for Northern Indiana since a group is planning to build a water park, resort hotel, restaurants, retail, and an IMAX movie theater in downtown Fort Wayne.

I think the two can actually work together very nicely. The more you get people to an area the more they want to see.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:45 AM

17 posts, read 47,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Really? That would be great!

I think that whatever efforts are made toward more family entertainment, the better. I hope it works out for Elkhart, and for those of us needing a nearby destination...Cedar Point and Holiday World are so far ~

Old 12-14-2010, 11:19 AM

52,219 posts, read 33,940,879 times
having moved out of the area, i found out only today that American Countryside shut down back in september, so i guess that whole area is just sitting vacant now. really a shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana