Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should i buy a rentail in knox ind.
yes buy as you can make cash 0 0%
no 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 11:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,745 times

Advertisements

what do you think about knox ind, ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2006, 08:45 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofchicago
what do you think about knox ind, ?

There are a lot of Chicago people who buy houses at Bass Lake. Most people I ever met who weren't weekenders from Knox were pretty rough and tumble.

Old 08-07-2006, 07:55 PM

6 posts, read 23,274 times
I live in a town near Knox, and while I don't know how this would apply to the rentail bussiness, the town has a reputation as having a ton of hicks. All of the other towns that are filled with hicks themselves constantly make fun of the place. Starke County in general is like that. I think there are a lot of poor folk, and when I say folk, I mean folk.

Old 08-13-2006, 11:19 PM

3 posts, read 18,553 times
I live in Knox, and I love it. As far as buying a rental, just like anywhere else, you have to screen your applicants carefully, and insist on a decent-sized security deposit. That screens out a lot of people that wouldn't be able to pay their rent consistently. This area has a significant drug problem, but in general is a nice small town. Low crime rate, and church on just about every corner.

Linda G.

Old 08-22-2006, 09:33 AM

4 posts, read 26,595 times
Bass Lake is near Knox, yes? is it mainly a vacation area, or is it year round residents?

Old 12-29-2006, 08:52 PM

2 posts, read 6,323 times
I have lived in Knox for the last 6 years and in starke county for the last 12. You do NOT want to move to Knox! This is the most hillbilly, red-necked, corrupt place. Seriously from the courts and cops to the schools. There are about 5 last names that own the county. If your daughter isnt pregnant by the time she's 15 u get a prize. Want Meth? Ask just about anyone walking down the street. Want to be in or see a fight? Stop in at any of the area taverns and say hi to any guys "woman" and u got a good one coming. Have fun! Oh and make sure you travel through town with a few hundred and u can get out of anything when stopped by one of Starke Counties finest!

Old 03-06-2007, 11:57 PM

65 posts, read 295,023 times
I know someone that lives in Knox. He told me that ccknox is right on the money.

Old 03-16-2007, 08:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,708 times
I have to tell ya, I grew up in Starke Co. Knox is also known as Little Kentucky.ccknox couldn't have said it better. I laughed so hard it brought tears to my eyes. It's also one of those everybody knows everybody towns but it made me who I am today. I wont take any sh.. off anyone, but if I see you are in need of a helping hand I'll be there. Most of Starkcountyans are this way. Just treat others the way you want to be treated and things will work out fine. But, if you can't stand people who tell ya how it is, ya better stay away. Don't pi.. em off cause they will get revenge.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:57 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
Does anyone remember an infamous tavern in Knox, or San Pierre or North Judson called the Bloody Bucket? I remember hearing stories so lurid that I thought the place was urban myth.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,205 times
Default 100% correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccknox View Post
I have lived in Knox for the last 6 years and in starke county for the last 12. You do NOT want to move to Knox! This is the most hillbilly, red-necked, corrupt place. Seriously from the courts and cops to the schools. There are about 5 last names that own the county. If your daughter isnt pregnant by the time she's 15 u get a prize. Want Meth? Ask just about anyone walking down the street. Want to be in or see a fight? Stop in at any of the area taverns and say hi to any guys "woman" and u got a good one coming. Have fun! Oh and make sure you travel through town with a few hundred and u can get out of anything when stopped by one of Starke Counties finest!
I wish I could say that this was not 100% correct. However I have had the unfortunate experience of marrying into one of those 5 last names. And the schools in Knox have failed to meet Indiana standards for 3 of the last 5 years, and as a Title 1 school are close to being put on a correction plan. The graduation rate is very poor and the ISTEP scores are below the state average. The teen pregnancy rate is one of the highest in the state of Indiana, as is the drug addiction rates. In December of 2008 one of the larger employeers announced that they were looking for a buyer or would close and another of the largest manufacturing facilities is in financial and legal trouble (EPA). The area is taking a significant downturn, and it didnt have much further down it could go from where it started.

I was lucky to get out of the area, but still cannot escape the problems of the corrupt systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana