Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 02:50 PM

100 posts, read 237,019 times

Advertisements

Is it a ghetto undesirable school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 07:39 PM

198 posts, read 910,396 times
I dont know what you mean by ghetto but Pike is a good school nevertheless. It has many programs for students and you can do a search on 'MSD Pike Township' on google and get more info. In terms of demo's, Pike is 59% black, 22% white, 10% Hispanic, 4 % Asian, and 5% multi-racial. Many of these students black, white, asian, -all come from a middle class background. Kids will be kids and you find many students at Pike learn, excel and go on to further their education outside of school. While this school lags in the middle and at times slightly behind in test scores I know of no one calling Pike "ghetto" unless they are referring to race, which by no means takes away the quality of the school. It all depends on your view. I have a child in Pike township and I have also heard that Pike is "ghetto" but that was back when there was a large influx of black neighborhoods and subdivisions arising. This does not mean that "ghetto" people dwell there, if you will. The son my school goes to is primarily white (it was the assignment from my house) and the school is excellent, however I was concerned about the lack of diversity and my son coming home with some unfavorable views about his own race, which could be very damaging to his self esteem. I am relocating next month, and I made sure where he is going to next (in the south) is much more racially diverse with a good mix of all people. Hope this helps.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,249 times
I Heard from many places and schools that its pretty bad. Well as for teaching and what not its pretty good but as for students they are pretty bad there.

And yes possibly ghetto and undesirable. : (

Old 08-13-2010, 07:16 AM

82 posts, read 346,054 times
Pike was a desirable district until the early 90's. With the spread of Indy's ghetto area further north, Pike is now in the class of undesirable inner-city schools. Yes, ghetto. . .and will only get worse.

I don't think they have major guns / drug problems yet, but violence is starting to occur more frequently (i.e. bathroom rapes). I personally would look into Zionsville or Carmel if the commute is practical. Good luck! :-)

Old 08-13-2010, 01:39 PM

369 posts, read 681,717 times
The problem with Pike is a black culture problem. Too many black families (not just mom and dad, but maybe mother and grandma, etc.) aren't doing enough to stem the tide of out-of-wedlock births. Too many young black teens and adults seem to want to follow the advice of Too Short, Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre., Ludacris, etc.. Their message is lots of sex, with lots of people, lots of partying, fast money, etc.. These idols of many black youth are preaching a horrible message. They may have nice sounding songs, but the message is one that if following, will almost always lead a kid to a gutter lifestyle. If the parent(s) in the household can teach their kids that all those idols are about one thing, money, then all hope is lost.

Here is an Indiana report, done by Black Expo a few years back, showing the problems facing the black community in Indiana. You will see a shocking statistic: 77.9% of black babies that were born in Indiana were born to a single mother. We have lost an entire generation of African-Americans, and we will likely lose at least another given the narcissism of young people today, of all races, cultures, etc..

I personally believe that all hope is lost, and there is nothing but despair at the end of the tunnel. Some folks think stealing more money for others, and giving it to these types of folks, or schools, will solve everything. It won't work, and will only hasten the coming collapse.

BlackAmericans.com : About 80% of black babies are born to unwed moms

This is likely why Pike gets a "ghetto" attachment. My guess is that Pike is likely where a lot of black babies are born to married parents as well, but obviously given the almost 80% figure of out-of-wedlock births, something tells me there are a lot of folks living on some sort of welfare in Pike Township.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:14 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravekid View Post
The problem with Pike is a black culture problem. Too many black families (not just mom and dad, but maybe mother and grandma, etc.) aren't doing enough to stem the tide of out-of-wedlock births.
Well assuming you are white, I'm sure a lot of blacks would say you have no clue what you're talking about. I am half black and I completly agree with what you said. Having kids at such a young age is the main problem. If this problem could be solved incomes would likely skyrocket in the black community and districts like Carmel and Zionsville would become more diverse. Urban districts like IPS and Pike would have test scores skyrocket too, which would bring huge redevelopment throughout urban neighborhoods across the country.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:20 AM

30 posts, read 97,379 times
Pike is a very large school district which covers about 14 schools total. That right there tells me I don't want my children to go there. I am 100% open to diversity but not to problem-prone students/kids. Sure kids will be kids, but it is quite different at Pike from what I've heard. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

There are good kids and things that come out of Pike, unfortunately it's the bad apples that make us all think that Pike is ghetto. IPS is ghetto, not Pike Township. Pike simply just has more problems since the school district is so large and kids come from MANY different aspects of life.

Last edited by mheller1704; 08-19-2010 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: Forgot to mention...

Old 08-19-2010, 10:24 AM

Corporation Snapshot, M S D Pike Township #5350

Pike MSD stats

Old 08-19-2010, 11:14 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,678 times
Lightbulb Boy Oh Boy...I Have No Words For This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravekid View Post
The problem with Pike is a black culture problem. Too many black families (not just mom and dad, but maybe mother and grandma, etc.) aren't doing enough to stem the tide of out-of-wedlock births. Too many young black teens and adults seem to want to follow the advice of Too Short, Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre., Ludacris, etc.. Their message is lots of sex, with lots of people, lots of partying, fast money, etc.. These idols of many black youth are preaching a horrible message. They may have nice sounding songs, but the message is one that if following, will almost always lead a kid to a gutter lifestyle. If the parent(s) in the household can teach their kids that all those idols are about one thing, money, then all hope is lost.

Here is an Indiana report, done by Black Expo a few years back, showing the problems facing the black community in Indiana. You will see a shocking statistic: 77.9% of black babies that were born in Indiana were born to a single mother. We have lost an entire generation of African-Americans, and we will likely lose at least another given the narcissism of young people today, of all races, cultures, etc..

I personally believe that all hope is lost, and there is nothing but despair at the end of the tunnel. Some folks think stealing more money for others, and giving it to these types of folks, or schools, will solve everything. It won't work, and will only hasten the coming collapse.

BlackAmericans.com : About 80% of black babies are born to unwed moms

This is likely why Pike gets a "ghetto" attachment. My guess is that Pike is likely where a lot of black babies are born to married parents as well, but obviously given the almost 80% figure of out-of-wedlock births, something tells me there are a lot of folks living on some sort of welfare in Pike Township.
Just unbelievable...something tells ME that you may spend an inordinate amount of time with your head firmly lodged in your armpit, getting soundbites and things from cable tv, and then emerging to give your supposedly 'enlightened' take on 'what's wrong with black America'...or in this case 'why is Pike High School ghetto?'

Sitting like some fat and sassy king on a chat forum, dispensing a gaggle of BS stereotypes based on your own fears and prejudices is not good...the porblem with people who think like yourself is that you come across like some ersatz latter-day Archie Bunker, telling all who willl listen 'I'm tellin' ya, Meathead...them coloreds is the devil!'...

I am thankful that I had two (yes TWO) hard-working, educated, loving parents, who raised myself and my siblings to work hard, achieve, succeed, and basically not live like a stereotype...but gee, according to you, if one black person is 'like that', then they must ALL be 'like that'... but if you actually took time to pull your head from your armpit, and realize that you can't paint all blacks with one brush, you might change your mind...

But no---that's too easy...you'd rather sit here and spout a bunch of nonsense, and act like you're revealing a Lost Gospel Of Jesus to an uninformed populace...if you want to act like a petulant high school gossip and spread a load of manure, that's your business...but realize that there are a LOT of black folk who are NOT ANYTHING like what you allege here, and are like that EVERY DAY...and that's up to and including every black person in Pike Township, and every black kid at Pike High School, whom you do a great disservice with the utter crapola you've spread here

Old 08-19-2010, 02:43 PM

We should not be only focusing on black kids. Ghetto doesn't necessarily mean black -which is a huge stereotype coming from ravekid. I "like" your post captaincatfish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana