Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 08:19 AM

3 posts, read 26,154 times

Advertisements

I know this post has been here a while however, in the event that someone may read this who is considering a Beazer house, I want to say that we have the misfortune of living in a Beazer home. The house is full of shoddy workmanship.
  • The entire bottom floor of our house seems to have no heat whatsoever while the upstairs bakes
  • Nails were used where screws should have been
  • Drywall was not hung properly
  • We could see daylight between the bottom of the downstairs wall and the foundation
  • We have lived in this house less than three years and the floors are already creaking
I could really go on and on here, but I will spare you that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 11:41 AM

260 posts, read 1,345,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zig'sbird View Post
I believe it was Beazer or it's parent company that was sued by some home owners in Carmel for mold in their houses.
I know the fromer Trinity was in the news big time regarding this a few years back, and I think Beazer bought them out AFTER all of that. I don't know specifically of any issues with homes built by Beazer though

Old 12-17-2007, 01:42 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
You have to keep in mind, when purchasing a production home, crews get paid extra if they finish the job quicker ... so chances are, there was a drywall crew who did several houses on the day yours was done, hence the shoddy workmanship. Sorry for the trouble you're going through ... did you have an inspection?

Old 12-17-2007, 01:56 PM

260 posts, read 1,345,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmtmsAlwys View Post
I know this post has been here a while however, in the event that someone may read this who is considering a Beazer house, I want to say that we have the misfortune of living in a Beazer home. The house is full of shoddy workmanship.
  • The entire bottom floor of our house seems to have no heat whatsoever while the upstairs bakes
  • Nails were used where screws should have been
  • Drywall was not hung properly
  • We could see daylight between the bottom of the downstairs wall and the foundation
  • We have lived in this house less than three years and the floors are already creaking
I could really go on and on here, but I will spare you that.
The upstairs being hotter than the downstairs is a common problem in ALL multi level homes, and may or may not be anything more than a "convetction" related problem. You know, the whole "hot air rises, cold air settles" thing? A couple "quick fixes" is to close off the upstairs supply registers during the winter...more hot air will be distributed to the downstairs rooms, which will eventually find its way upstairs anyway. In the summer the opposite is true, you can close off the downstairs registers and open the upstairs registers, because again, that cold air you pump upstairs will eventually find its way downstairs.

In addition to these tricks, it is also helpful in a multi level home to set the blower fan to run continuously (this is the Auto/On setting on your thermostat). This allows the air in your home to be continuiously circulated throughout the house and HELPS to maintain a more consistent temperature on all levels. This will not drasticly run up your electric bill, as the A/C or furnace will still cycle on and off as needed, only the blower fan will continue to run. It would not be much more different than leaving a box fan or ceiling fan running, and actually electric motors require more juice on initial start up than they do once they get going, so the trade off is minimal. Obviously this will somewhat shorten the life of the blower motor, and you may need to change your filters more frequently, but it can help with overall comfort.

With that said, I personally find the best method in my house is to do as I suggested with closing off the upstairs registers in the winter, but leave the blower fan on Auto while in the heating mode (i just think that keeping the air moving will tend to cool the air and cause the furnace to cycle more frequently). ***I have also opted to leave the registers in my kids rooms open to allow more heat into those rooms because they are still young and tend to unknowingly kick their covers off in the middle of the night and I want to make sure that they are warm and cozy *** In the summer time however I go ahead and leave all registers open and the blower fan continuously ON. I try to turn the fan to AUTO when no one will be at home for extended periods of time just to give it a break, and trun it back to ON when I return.

Try these tricks and see if it helps, it can make more of a difference than you might think. You may also want to check and see if you have dampers that are closed off, this should be suspected if you are noticeably having problems with little or no airflow in some areas of the house. Dampers are typicaly installed in the ductwork close to the supply plenum (that metal box on top of the furnace where all the distibution ducts branch out of) and can be manually opened or closed to control airflow to specific areas of the house. If you have them, you will simply see a small lever on the duct(s). Loose ducts could also be something to investigate in the attic or in the basement / crawl space, if applicable.

Beyond these tips, about the only other thing you can due is go to a "zoned" system that utilizes 2 or more thermostats to control temperatures in different "zoned" areas of the house without requiring additional heating or cooling equipment. Of course this all assuming that the problem is indeed not due to an improperly engineered or installed system to begin with, but what you describe is a very common problem in multi level homes.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 11,379 times
Default Call "The Realty Co."

I am a Realtor with "The Realty Co." My broker, Barry Haley, has sold homes in the Indianapolis area for more than 20 years. He was the #1 sales counselor in Indiana for many builders to include Deluxe Homes, Crossman Communities, C.P. Morgan and Beazer where he also served as one of their sales managers. He now brokers his own Realty company and has no business ties to Beazer. He would be able to give you a very thorough, honest and neutral opinion concerning Beazer and Davis. You can contact him at [EMAIL="realty@indy.rr.com"]realty@indy.rr.com[/EMAIL] or on his phone at 317-910-6666. I can also be contacted through that email or at 317-946-6229. I personally live in a Beazer home as well. I went through the entire construction process with them and would be able to answer any of your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robroy View Post
My wife and I currently live in Indy on the north-east side. We are looking at taking a step up from our current 1900 sq ft home. We are looking at Davis and Beazer homes -- primarily on the north/north-east side but we are willing to consider communities on the west side. I know Davis has a pretty good reputation. However, I also realize that over the past several months, Beazer's reputation has sunk dismally. The problem we're having is that we've found a home with Beazer that my wife and I both believe could be "perfect" for our needs. We're having a harder time finding a Davis home that fits our needs as well.

If it wasn't for all the bad word-of-mouth that I hear about Beazer, I'd go with them. Does anyone have any informed opinion or experience with Beazer -- Good or bad?

btw, regardless of who we build with, we will have it thoroughly inspected before close.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:04 AM

2 posts, read 22,458 times
Angry Beazer Experience/Opinion

Go with A DIFFERENT builder!! Search the Internet for Beazer Customer Reviews/COMPLAINTS! Then take these under SERIOUS advisement!!!

I would not recommend Beazer to friends, family or anyone I honestly care about!!!!!!

Dissatisfied Indiana (mid-higher end 'NON-Vinyl homes, and STILL they do less than quality workmanship).

Old 08-03-2009, 10:17 AM

2 posts, read 22,458 times
Unhappy Beazer Customer - Unfortunately

If you don't care about quality, and or have loads of extra time on your hands, in order to be your own Quality Control/Inspector/Project Manager over the build of your home, then you would be making the decision to build with Beazer, 'UNDER SERIOUS ADVISEMENT', from one of many disatisfied Beazer customers.

I would NOT recommend Beazer Homes (even their 'mid to higher-end' style & price-point homes; which I built!!) to friends/family or anyone I honestly CARE about!

Hope my candid and sincere feedback will be helpful to you and other people who will be considering building a home with Beazer; especially if you are thinking it will be (or closely reflect) your DREAM HOME. 99.9% chance of you being heartbroken and disappointed.

Indiana Beazer Customer

Old 08-12-2009, 04:56 PM

29 posts, read 88,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiserhomeowner View Post
Go with A DIFFERENT builder!! Search the Internet for Beazer Customer Reviews/COMPLAINTS! Then take these under SERIOUS advisement!!!

I would not recommend Beazer to friends, family or anyone I honestly care about!!!!!!

Dissatisfied Indiana (mid-higher end 'NON-Vinyl homes, and STILL they do less than quality workmanship).
While you are looking for other builders, you may want to pass on Weiss Homes based upon our experience. They are big on the marketing but they have fared very poorly on customer relations, if you ask me. They didn't follow the contract specs and wouldn't talk to us when we had questions about it. They stopped construction and we still have a half-built house after 2 years! We felt they were absolutely vicious to my family.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:04 AM

1 posts, read 11,029 times
Exclamation Weiss Homes Sux

Quote:
Originally Posted by XrayEyes View Post
While you are looking for other builders, you may want to pass on Weiss Homes based upon our experience. They are big on the marketing but they have fared very poorly on customer relations, if you ask me. They didn't follow the contract specs and wouldn't talk to us when we had questions about it. They stopped construction and we still have a half-built house after 2 years! We felt they were absolutely vicious to my family.
XrayEyes - You have NO idea how NASTY Weiss Homes can be. In my opinion, they are evil and they don't care about anything except money. Once Rita Weiss gets involved be ready for some of the most dirty tactics and lies ever. Rita Weiss is a lawyer (and a pharmacists before that) and is extremely controlling. She often gets away with intimidating people buying their $150K cr*ppy vinyl boxes. Dave Weiss is a very nervous fellow and a bit creepy in a nerdy sense. They are all about marketing and sneaky...beware trusting that Kym Baker too (VP of marketing). They will hold you to every letter of their contract...and you should do the same to them.

I also know of two parties that has them scared and on the run... Add a large class action lawsuit to the mix and hopefully we'd do the community a favor and have them pack up shop. They have screwed over many many many honest and trusting families.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:05 PM

52 posts, read 191,813 times
Domergurl,

I seem to remember reading that you lived in a Centex home when you lived in Fishers (Royalwood?) What was your experience with them? We are currently looking at a 4 year old Centex at The Highlands of Stony Creek. We currently live in a Ryland, and it has been an excellent home quality wise. Were you happy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana