Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 10:12 AM

22 posts, read 130,178 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me anything about Sullivan Indiana?
We are looking around that area and mostly at the Sullivan Lake area, as my husband and I love to fish. I would appreciate any comments. We are retiring and have no children so schools don't matter but we like to live in a nice area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 04:22 PM

148 posts, read 459,196 times
Depends what you are looking for. Sullivan advertises itself as a center of outdoor recreation, and there are a lot of fishing areas in the area - Turtle Creek Res. to the west; reclaimed mining areas to the east. Many other (artificial) lakes nearby. Sullivan is not a particularly happening place; not many good restaurants or stores, but Terre Haute is about 30 minutes north, and has about everything. Bloomington is about an hour away, and has great restaurants, and good shopping. Good luck with your move!

Old 06-16-2007, 08:52 PM

Thanks for your reply. I was beginning to think that no one lives there.
We don't need lots of entertainment and like a rural type of setting. No big business or lots of traffic. We're transplanted from Indianapolis and N.Ky and have been in the Western suburbs of Chicago for the past 18 years or so. Looking forward to getting closer to home without all the "extras" that we have here.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:57 AM

148 posts, read 459,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donbo50 View Post
Thanks for your reply. I was beginning to think that no one lives there.
We don't need lots of entertainment and like a rural type of setting. No big business or lots of traffic. We're transplanted from Indianapolis and N.Ky and have been in the Western suburbs of Chicago for the past 18 years or so. Looking forward to getting closer to home without all the "extras" that we have here.
Sullivan could be a nice place for you, then. The housing prices are quite reasonable, and there is a lot of good fishing in that area. There is a Walmart in Sullivan, and a small local grocery store. The town square is nice too, if a bit empty. Sullivan was hit hard in the late 1990s by the closure of several coal mines, and has subsequently suffered from an increase in methamphetamine. However, local and state laws restricting the purchase of Sudafed and other ingredients has halved the problem, so I think things are improving. Coal mines are doing well there, and Terre Haute has been looking up recently. You should check out the area and see what you think. Best of luck!

Old 06-22-2007, 12:36 PM

18 posts, read 66,726 times
My fathers family is from Sullivan and we still have land there. He would like to build on it and retire there also, but my mom is stopping him.
There really is nothing to do around there. Everything closes by 5. The 5 & Dime closed in town a few years back and so did the main grocery store (don't remember the name), but if you like BINGO, it's a place to be.

Best of luck,
CrazyMomDaze

Old 06-24-2007, 01:57 PM

Default Thanks for the reply

It sounds like that's the town for us!!! We don't need much "stimulation" any more. We are real home bodies and love to fish in the nice weather, sit by the fire in the bad. We don't need much to entertain ourselves. Just as long as I can get to the grocery and Walmart once a week, I'm a happy camper. That's what being retired has done for us. We just want to sit back and relax.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,777 times
Default Sullivan

I have lived in sullivan all of my life. The people here are very nice. It is a small town one where everybody knows you if you just move in. You always have something to do here there is good restraunts like patricks, old 41 diner, uptown deli, China wok, bobes italian, joes, backstreet...exc we have a wall mart, a dollar general, mcy d's, hardies, subway, BK, DQ, news stand, a save alot, angells, movie gallery, trend video and tanning, caseys general store, 500 express, a lake, a jiffy mini mart, a park and you can always drive 30 miles to terre haute they have everything. if you have kids the schools are great they have great food. at night during the summer all of the high school students like to hang out on the square. you might see them having a watter baloon fight around the court house you never know about them they always find something to do, but if there is a football game or basketball you can count on the school yard will be packed especialy if they are playing there rivels the linton miners. If you move to sullivan u can count on liking it is a great little town atleast i like it.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:15 PM

32 posts, read 187,850 times
I am curious, if you aren't from Indiana, why would you pick Sullivan based strictly on fishing? I don't mean to knock the area, but there seem to be more desirable fishing locations to retire within this area. Patoka and Lake Monroe come to mind in Indiana, KY and Barkley Lakes in Western Kentucky...etc..

I just never thought of Sullivan as a retirement fishing mecca.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:51 AM

3 posts, read 7,930 times
Default Baby sitter

Hey everyone. First post here. I am moving to Sullivan around the 17th of July. I need a daycare/babysitter for second shift hours. Can anyone help me find information for this. Will be working in Robinson, Il. transfering from the memphis area. Have 2 kids one is 2 and a half and the other is 1.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:17 PM

3 posts, read 7,930 times
Thanks for the fast response. Hoping to get someone a little more local and or on the route to or in Robinson. I have looked these up and they make work on a temporary basis till something a little more closer comes available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana