Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 09:18 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,029,877 times

Advertisements

This state has such a pervasive inferiority complex. Not even Michigan is as cynical about themselves.

To the OP: I normally come to Indy's defense as I feel it is an underrated city, but I think it would be an insult to the intelligence of the people in that city if I actually answered your question. Instead, I have a question for you: why would you ask in the first place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 02:01 PM

22 posts, read 69,021 times
I've found that people forced to live in Indy or who are too scared to leave Indy tend to make themselves believe that it is a good "charming" place with "values" in order to make themselves feel better.

Truthfully, Indy is one of the dullest and least charming cities of any size in the U.S.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:05 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,170 times
What is charm, exactly?

If you want quaint, go to a suburb.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:16 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inmylife View Post
Indy is one of the dullest and least charming cities of any size in the U.S.
What are you looking for in other places? People love to complain, and people love to rip on places they deem "dull," but they are never able to form a coherant reason other than "they are miserable." Bad news, you can run to Chicago and still be miserable and bored.

We could have a discussion where quality criticsm is leveraged, but calling anyplace dull and accusing its residents of making stuff up is silly.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:05 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
I've found that people forced to live in Indy or who are too scared to leave Indy tend to make themselves believe that it is a good "charming" place with "values" in order to make themselves feel better.
You speak as if no one lives here by choice and/or everyone here is originally from here and, therefore, has no basis of comparison. What an idiotic statement.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:35 PM

88 posts, read 273,622 times
I moved to Indy from a city with more "charm"....Chicago. I prefer Indy.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:44 PM

22 posts, read 69,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
You speak as if no one lives here by choice and/or everyone here is originally from here and, therefore, has no basis of comparison. What an idiotic statement.

Actually you should read more closely and realize that I did not say or imply any of those things. I was referring to those who are either forced to live in Indy due to circumstances beyond their control or who would like to leave Indy and could but are afraid to branch out. I am basing this statement upon people I know in both circumstances who come to justify their geographic position once it becomes clear that they will not be leaving.

Those groups do not include every person living in the area nor did I say such a thing.

In my opinion Indy is boring, bland, and cookie-cutter. Property prices seem to dictate that most other people feel the same way.

I certainly NEVER said that there aren't people who WANT to live there or who have never lived elsewhere. In your blind haste to defend your cornfield you lashed out in agitation and misread my post.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:50 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
In my opinion Indy is boring, bland, and cookie-cutter. Property prices seem to dictate that most other people feel the same way.
Property prices in Indy reflect the fact that there's seemingly endless land upon which to develop and, unfortunately, a growth policy that's too permissive.

You're entitled to your opinion, I'll grant you that. Sounds like you either currently or previously lived in North Florida. There are many on C-D who think much less of that area, BTW. But it is very easy for someone to read your post as I did, and if you'd pay attention to this forum, then you'd know that most of the posters here come from elsewhere and are very happy to be here. Your experience with a handful of people is not indicative of the majority of the population here, IMO.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:13 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,274 times
Ok I would like to say that Indy does have culture. Dave dawsn listed a lot and I would 100% agree with Symphony on the Prarie. It shocked me because I don't generally care for the Symphony, but it is really impressive.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:37 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
there is charm to be found in Indianapolis. You may need to read Indianapolis Monthly to find the gems, or peruse these forums. If you look, you will find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis