Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2010, 02:08 PM

5 posts, read 18,914 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am new here, will relocate to Indianapolis at Fall. I would like to live close to University of Indianapolis since I will be studying there. Would anyone suggest some safe neighbourhoods so that I can look for some apartment? Some detailed apartment choices will also be appreciated.

Will Southport or Franklin Township area be a safe place to live? I am a female, and will communicate between the apartment and the university at night with evening classes.

Thanks for your help!

kikki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 12:41 PM

212 posts, read 615,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houhouhou View Post
Hi all,

I am new here, will relocate to Indianapolis at Fall. I would like to live close to University of Indianapolis since I will be studying there. Would anyone suggest some safe neighbourhoods so that I can look for some apartment? Some detailed apartment choices will also be appreciated.

Will Southport or Franklin Township area be a safe place to live? I am a female, and will communicate between the apartment and the university at night with evening classes.

Thanks for your help!

kikki
I moved from near there last year. I was just east of the University at Hanna and Keystone (Cherry Glen Apartments). When I moved in 1999 it was nice. It definitely went downhill in the last few years. Also stay away from Madison Park Village on South Madison. The further south you go into Southport the better. Franklin Township is better still.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:27 PM

423 posts, read 1,248,263 times
The neighborhood of University Heights immediately south of the University has attractive older houses and is in good shape. North of the university is not as desirable.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:28 PM

32 posts, read 81,329 times
I also am relocating to Indianapolis this fall! I got an apartment in woodruff manor which I was told was a nice and safe neighborhood. Some people have said that the Canal Apt.'s which are very close the the university are nice but those were out of my price range. Good luck on your search! I was misled by many dishonest leasing agents.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:01 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Just so we are clear, University of Indianapolis is on Hanna Ave on the southside; IUPUI is downtown. Two seperate universities. Though you could live downtown and commute to UIndy with relative ease.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:57 PM

32 posts, read 81,329 times
Oh oops! You're right! Actually where is Purdue University? IUPUI is in conjunction with Purdue right?

Old 07-07-2010, 04:58 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happypig View Post
Oh oops! You're right! Actually where is Purdue University? IUPUI is in conjunction with Purdue right?
IUPUI is Indiana U and Purdue. Purdue's main campus is an hour or so northwest on Indy in West Lafayette.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:36 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,759,518 times
I have two recommendations for you.
Indianapolis Apartments for rent at Thompson Village Apts Managed By Barrett & Stokely Good area and ten minutes from campus.
Another area is the area of Bluff and Southport Roads. Lots of apartments, everything you need except a Walmart or hardware store. Taverns, food stores, pizza, restaurants, banks, etc all within walking distance. This is about 15-20 minutes from campus.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:16 AM

These are the apartments at Bluff and Southport which is six miles from campus.
murphy's landing apartments indianapolis - Google Search

Old 07-13-2010, 05:11 AM

These are older and probably less expensive but my wife and I comment when we go by it that they seem to be well cared for. We have a friend who has lived here for forty years. The surrounding area is very nice.
It's about 2.5 miles from campus.
Regency Park South Apartments For Rent in Indianapolis, Indiana - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis