Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 12:09 AM

2 posts, read 5,701 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband and I have been wanting to get out of Southern CA for quite some time now(born and raised in CA but we are just done with the SMOG, the PEOPLE, and the high cost of living)....A year ago we visited a bunch of different cities all around the country and loved Carmel, IN and Eugene, OR the best. My husband JUST got a job offer last week in Indianapolis, and he will be moving out there on his own while I keep working here until we get our townhouse rented out. Hopefully I can join him soon.

Im getting a little frightened - I've been reading some negative things about Indiana, like the SNOW, and the HUMIDITY...and the cloudiness that people get depressed about (almost sounds like seattle?????) When we went to visit the weather was great and Carmel looked like such a nice town.....

Questions:
Should I be terrified of the snow/humidity?

Any recommendations for apartments by the monon trail????

How is the Air Quality???

What do YOU think about Carmel/Fishers/Noblesville?

Appreciate the comments everyone!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 03:55 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,477,418 times
Well, it is not California or Seattle. Neither is is Alaska where we moved from. I moved with my husband with only 24 hours knowledge of Indiana and have been here 30 great years.

However, it is a normal part of the US with friendly people (if you are friendly). We have four seasons, normal cloudiness, and do have heat and AC . It can be humid like a whole lot of the US but it will change with the seasons. Today it is feeling quite nice outside. It snows like most of the US but it only does it for a short time and it can be appreciated as just another season. Not as much as Minnesota and more than Mississippi. I had my husband put on snow tires (many do not use them) and have no issues.

Air quality is better than LA. We live downtown and close to the interstate so we have a bit more smog but Carmel is flat and the breeze keeps it away.

Carmel is as close to southern CA as you can get here. Still small though which is nice but trying to be "big city".

A pretty safe adventure and a very low cost place to live if you make the right choices. Remember what you are trying to get away from and appreciate your husband's new job.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:05 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcinabon View Post
Questions:
Scores of millions of people manage snow and/or humidity just fine. It will be an adjustment but there's no reason to be "terrified" of either.

Quote:
A lot better than SoCal.

Quote:
Carmel and Fishers are a little snooty for my tastes and prominently feature the "Keeping Up With the Stepfords" mentality that you may be trying to get away from in SoCal. Noblesville, at least the main part of town, is more down-to-earth and not so conspicuously pretentious. Also, Noblesville has a cohesive "town" feel to it with prominent core/downtown area while Carmel and Fishers are largely just disjointed collections of subdivisions. Yes they have downtown areas too but they are small in comparison to the sprawl around them. Noblesville is more "real town" and less "sprawling subdivisions" compared to the other two.

Last edited by Drover; 08-16-2010 at 04:17 AM..

Old 08-16-2010, 06:34 AM

891 posts, read 2,450,102 times
Quote:
Questions:
I would highly recommend each of the following. Both are very high end. The prices might be a lot lower than what you are used to, but for around here, both are high end. Old Towne is in the downtown Carmel area that is being re-done, very nice, you can walk to some shops some restaurants. The Retreat is in south Carmel, but it is also on the Monon.

Couple of other points: There are two brand new apartments complexes being built, (one right across the street from Old Towne) both are going to be extremely nice, with retail on street level and then apartments and condos above. Not sure there is a website for either yet, probably won't be ready to rent until winter. Although I don't know that

Old towne on the Monon
Old Town on the Monon Apartment Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Carmel apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com
Carmel Indiana Apartments for rent at Old Town on the Monon Loft Apts of Carmel Managed By Barrett & Stokely

The Retreat
Retreat Apartments Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Carmel apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com
Retreat, The Apartments For Rent in Indianapolis, Indiana - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com

As far the the weather goes. I would just not recommend you move in the middle of January, the shock might be too much. If you move in summer or fal , the cold and cloudy weather slowly comes on us and you will get used to it like everyone else here does every year.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 3,200 times
I lived in Carmel for 30 plus years and raised 3 children there. Carmel is the best place to live in Indy with superb school system. The city was actually voted as one of the best cities to live in the whole nation. I have a rental house in carmel. If you are interested it is 3 bedroom and 2 bath 1400 Sq. feet one story older home in heart of west carmel surrounded by half million dollar homes (which is a lot for Indy) and it will be available by the end of may and the rent is $1300 per month. Let me know if you are interested. Good luck with your move.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:47 PM

3,405 posts, read 3,449,324 times
We lived at carmel center for 2 yrs. i recomend it. You can find townhomes for rent off the monon too. Just stay away from mohawk hills. All other apts are fine in carmel.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:01 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Humidity won't kill you … being terrified of humidity is a bit dramatic. I found the worst humidity I ever experienced was in St. Louis. This almost lifelong hoosier wasn't terrified, but I was sure uncomfortable.

Snow is great. You'll love it. We've had a lot of it this year. The only thing that annoys me, really, is the fluctuations … On tuesday, I wore shorts because it was 70 degrees and on Wednesday, it was back to bundling up because the temps went into the high teens.

Just prepare yourself. If you move here during the summer, you can get winter gear pretty darn cheap.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:26 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,291 times
Quote:
Hi all,

My husband and I have been wanting to get out of Southern CA for quite some time now(born and raised in CA but we are just done with the SMOG, the PEOPLE, and the high cost of living)....A year ago we visited a bunch of different cities all around the country and loved Carmel, IN and Eugene, OR the best. My husband JUST got a job offer last week in Indianapolis, and he will be moving out there on his own while I keep working here until we get our townhouse rented out. Hopefully I can join him soon.

Im getting a little frightened - I've been reading some negative things about Indiana, like the SNOW, and the HUMIDITY...and the cloudiness that people get depressed about (almost sounds like seattle?????) When we went to visit the weather was great and Carmel looked like such a nice town.....

Questions:

Deliberately moving from So Cal to Indiana? LOL

Old 03-15-2014, 08:42 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,979,768 times
Quote:
Hi all,

Questions:

I use to live out west and other parts of the country. It will be more humid out here but nothing like what you'll find in places like Florida, Louisiana or many parts of the deep South. The air quality as sweetana3 mentioned is much better. The last time I was out in LA was back in 2007. The smog was horrible. Reminded me when I use to see the dirty brown air clogging up the urban street corridors of Manhattan back in the mid eighties when I was there (Of course, NYC has cleaned up their air since then). We don't have the kind of extreme heat like you'll find out in Palm Springs or in the Mojave. You guys have the dry heat. The worse place in the country for me is the heavy humidity and 100 + temperature combined in Dallas. However, Indy's climate isn't that extreme. As for Carmel, it's a pretty reasonable place to stretch your dollar further (cheaper homes and lower taxes) and the schools are great. Carmel would be one of the desirable suburbs to live if it were in LA except with cleaner air and without the high cost of living. Now if you're a Lakers fan I can't help you there.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:35 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,660,936 times
It's hilarious that people are offering advice to someone who was moving here 3 1/2 years ago.

It's even funnier that the thread was bumped by someone trying to rent out a house to a person who was in the market 3 1/2 years ago and the home won't even be available until the end of May.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis