Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 09:36 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,404,962 times

Advertisements

We're thinking of relocating to one of the north Indy suburbs, from a Chicago suburb. Chicago has been wonderful, but it's just gotten too crowded, too expensive and we've seen it all now - ready for new adventures. I know Indy isn't Chicago, but it looks like it has plenty to offer. We were thinking about moving to Bloomington, but we'd rather have more options, and Bloomington/Brown County is close enough to visit whenever we want.

Made our first trip yesterday, drove all around Carmel (the main focus) and then took 116th across to Fishers, nosing around neighborhoods along the way. We also drove around (I think) Clay Terrace and Westfield some. Won't conclude anything based on one day, but we thought all of it was very, very nice - certainly not dissuaded based on the first exposure. I can imagine living in any of those areas. Cost of living looks more than reasonable. What is the downside?

Didn't get a look at Zionsville, ran out of time and the Bentley dealership scares me away (that level of conspicuous consumption isn't our cup of tea).

Random observations: The Carmel City Center area was unbelievable, I can't imagine who's paying for that (yes, I can)! Noticed a lot of seriously dead grass around town, evidently it's been very dry down there compared to up here. We ate lunch at Shapiro's, best pastrami I've had in at least 15 years. Loved that there is a Whole Foods nearby, and the outdoor shopping center near there looked like fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 10:57 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,715,196 times
yea, we're in a pretty bad drought right now ... it rained down here for the first time in almost 8 weeks, yesterday morning ... not enough rain ... everything is still dry.

glad you enjoyed! Hope you come back for good!

Old 09-12-2010, 11:36 AM

436 posts, read 951,444 times
That pastrami at Shapiro's comes from Vienna, made in Chicago around Fullerton and Damen and sold all over the city. You didn't need to drive down here to get it.

Since you're from the Chicago suburbs, make sure you stay North of 96th Street. It's Little Chicago up there. The Cubs might be more popular than the Colts in those parts.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:33 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,603,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking357 View Post
Since you're from the Chicago suburbs, make sure you stay North of 96th Street. It's Little Chicago up there. The Cubs might be more popular than the Colts in those parts.
You may mean the Bears, but definitely not. Anyway Carmel is a really nice suburb, but I actually prefer Zionsville. Don't let the Bentley dealership scare you away, it would probably fit in better in Carmel anyway.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:48 AM

30 posts, read 97,324 times
If you are looking to relocate to one of Indy's north suburbs, definitely look at Zionsville. If you are moving away from Chicago to get away from the crowds, Carmel, in my opinion, is where you DON'T want to live. Everything I know about Carmel is congested. It's nice to be able to go into Carmel and then escape the hustle and bustle of that area.

Depending on what you are looking for in home options, I recommend Zionsville, specifically southwest Zionsville. You are close enough to highways and can be to major attractions in less than 30 min. Airport, malls, fine dining, Carmel, etc.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:32 AM

96 posts, read 195,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mheller1704 View Post
If you are looking to relocate to one of Indy's north suburbs, definitely look at Zionsville. If you are moving away from Chicago to get away from the crowds, Carmel, in my opinion, is where you DON'T want to live. Everything I know about Carmel is congested. It's nice to be able to go into Carmel and then escape the hustle and bustle of that area.

Depending on what you are looking for in home options, I recommend Zionsville, specifically southwest Zionsville. You are close enough to highways and can be to major attractions in less than 30 min. Airport, malls, fine dining, Carmel, etc.
While I think Zionsville is a very lovely town I would hardly call Carmel congested, hustle and bustle and so on. Once the folks who work in Carmel head out for the day I'd say it becomes just as tranquil and easy-going as any other burb of Indy. Maybe even moreso than most.

And since the OP is coming from Chicago, our idea of a congested area and their idea are going to be vastly different.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:01 AM

891 posts, read 2,449,285 times
Yeah, carmel is not congested at all.

Zionsville is really nice though and yes living there does get you closer to airport and closer and easier route to downtown.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:30 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,404,962 times
We are most definitely going to visit Zionsville too, hopefully next week. Thanks for your insights everyone. And as one poster noted, after Chicago I can't imagine any suburban city/town/village that will seem at all congested to us.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:52 AM

30 posts, read 97,324 times
Zionsville is the way to go! All those things in Carmel and Fishers are nice, yes, but Zionsville has it's perks too. Especially for schools. Zionsville is not far from Carmel, maybe 15 if you don't take the interstate. Fishers is even more congested than Carmel and it's very difficult to get around (in my opinion) even with I-69. Always congested. Zionsville is close to 65 and IN-334 which can get you to the south (downtown) and west (Carmel, Fishers, Noblesville) quick as that's where the main attractions are. Check out Eagle's Nest. Just south of 334 and I-65. Nice, large homes without the Carmel/Fishers price by a very good builder, Ryland Homes.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:36 PM

2 posts, read 4,065 times
What are Real Estate tax rates in Carmel, Fishers, etc?

We currently live in Illinois in a $250,000 house and pay $5,400 per year in real estate taxes. How does this compare?

Are there any other taxes such as personal property or auto?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis