Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2007, 09:16 PM

3 posts, read 10,838 times

Advertisements

I am considering a job in Indianapolis. I am a single, 30 yr old woman. I moved to Denver earlier this year and love it. I love to ski, try new restaurants, concerts, etc. I am pretty social. I am financially secure and will be able to purchase a home. I will want a yard for my dogs.

Any thoughts on how I would fit in in Indy? Any information or other websites I should look at?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 10:20 PM

53 posts, read 350,612 times
Oh, to be 30 again !

Within the city of Indy, and depending on the finances, the area called Broad Ripple, and the area south of Broad Ripple, and the area called Meridian-Kessler seem the most likely locations you'd enjoy. Fairly pricey per sq ft, compared to other parts of town, but easy access to the social scene carries a price tag. Maybe you could check out Broad Ripple on a Saturday afternoon and drive around the neighborhoods there.

I've lived downtown and I think it's less "hip" then the above areas. It's getting better but slooowly. If you were to live in Herron-Morton or the "Old Northside, which are 1-3 miles north of the center of the city, there's a social scene but nothing like Broad Ripple. The downtown areas that are closer in, like around Massachusetts (sp ?) Avenue, etc, don't tend to have yards of much size. For example, the ritziest downtown neighborhood, Lockerbie Square, has fairly dinky yards.

Depending on your work location you could also say the heck with the city and move out to Carmel, which is burgeoning growth-wise. It's crammed full of restaurants but also carries a nouveau-riche aura.

Real (snow) skiing in the midwest means a trip to Michigan.

I think with this post I will generate cat calls from downtown folks and Carmel folks, but that's my opinion, ymmv.

Old 07-04-2007, 04:30 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
I pretty much agree. Depends so much on what you want to be near and how you feel about spending time and money driving.

My single female boss lives in BR as does one of her analysts who recently got married. They liked the small size of the homes and the fact they were single family ones. There is Broad Ripple Park for walking the dogs, the Monon Trail for biking and walking that runs right thru BR, organic/natural/farmers market in the middle of BR, eye/md/dentist close. Library branch about 1/2 mile or less away. Several grocery stores, heaps of restaurants, bars, French Bakery, and on and on. More than 3 different coffee shops (Starbucks, Einsteins, Scholars Inn Bakehouse) within about 3 blocks.

Cons, cost and rowdiness on weekend nights on the BR main street.

House prices are about 150,000 and up. There is a gorgeous fully renovated!! brick with two car 3b/2b with finished basement for $199,000. It is on the edge of BR but on a quiet street a little off the main body of BR.

There is a little Arts and Crafts bungalow (previously on the Home Tour with a fenced backyard and 2 car garage (1 1/2 maybe really) with an attic that has been finished as an extra room 3b/2b for $229,000. This may be a little high for it but I have not seen the inside, just read the brochure. About 3 blocks off the main drag on a one way tree lines street with alley.

Lots and lots of others. Meridian Kessler (a big name neighborhood association) borders BR. On the other side of the mall on Keystone are houses with much bigger lots. The Broad Ripple Village Assoc. works hard to keep the village nature of BR going.

It is not the only place to live in Indy. There is everything for everyone. Everyone just has their own likes and dislikes when it comes to housing. I like the BR area a lot and currently live downtown. I feel a single person would truly enjoy the community of BR. It would be hard to have any yard and have the same intensity of community downtown for a young single.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:31 PM

63 posts, read 391,388 times
I cannot disagree with what has been posted. You need to come to Indy and check it out for yourself though. Broad Ripple is would be a place you should check out, as is the Meridian-Kessler area. Broad Ripple is hipper and there is a lot more going on. Meridian Kessler is nicer and more expensive, but still very close to BR and downtown.

I also would recommend Carmel - which is where I live as a single male in my mid 30's. Sure it is a suburb but it has more of an urban feel (in certain parts) than most suburbs - traffic might be a little worse at times, but you are closer to grocery stores - I live within 5 minutes of 6 different grocery stores and I live within a few minutes of an outdoor mall and many restarants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis