Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 09:02 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,677,562 times

Advertisements

^ Ditto... I live near the beach & I can tell you, that "love" for the beach wears off quickly. Just like most things, it gets old when you see it everyday. My toes haven't hit the sand in over 2 months. I enjoyed FL so much more as a visitor than I do a resident.

Just about everyone moves to FL with rose colored glasses on I think... then when "real life" sets in (the issues mentioned in the above post..) a little more sun & sand don't always make up for it.

I miss the midwest a lot...in IN I could see me family whenever I wanted, let my kids play in the yard without having to worry about tourists, drunks, strangers walking on my property (happens regularly), or them being bit by a scorpion or rattlesnake (we've had both in our yard.) There is no way I could let my kids camp in our yard...or even ride bicycles due to the traffic hazards. It makes me sad.

I enjoy the seasons & the changing landscape in IN. Although I know it's cold & dreary right now, all my kids can talk about is getting "home" for Christmas & playing in the snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 10:35 AM

363 posts, read 1,043,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixiStix View Post
^ Ditto... I live near the beach & I can tell you, that "love" for the beach wears off quickly. Just like most things, it gets old when you see it everyday. My toes haven't hit the sand in over 2 months. I enjoyed FL so much more as a visitor than I do a resident.
Double ditto - I feel the same way about the beach states, as when I lived in the mountain states of CO, NM, WY & MT. To me Indiana is home and I'm very happy to be back.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:10 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
My one tip for the Southerners moving North: do your cold-weather clothes shopping now, before you move.

I bought allllll of the cashmere sweaters at my local (Austin TX) high end thrift store before moving here, and I am glad I did. Those puppies just don't turn up at the Goodwill here quite like they do in the warmer climates .

Shop your local dept. stores' "after Christmas" sales for all of the unsold fleece, down outerwear, and mittens, gloves, and knit caps. You can find them here, but not in the same quantiiy and selection and low price point as you will in the warmer states.

A knit scarf is an "accessory" in LA or Houston. In Indy or Chicago, it's a necessity.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:02 AM

28 posts, read 56,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSlass View Post
Congrats to your wife for being one of the finalists. And, Good Luck to her. My neighbors go to FL for the winter but say they wouldn't want to live there year around. There are so many fun things to do in the Snow... making Snow Angels comes to mind first! And, snowmen. And, sledding & drinking hot chocolate. You will love living where you actually see a change in seasons. I love the smell of Spring. The air just seems so crisp & clean.
I can't wait to experience all these new things with my little girls. I've only ever been in the snow twice, once when I was 15 a day or so after it fell, and then again at 17 where I got to see flurries but nothing substantial. Recently, my 3 year old had an evaluation for school, one of the exams was a photo recognition quiz, and one of the photo's was a snow shovel, how is a 3 year old in Florida going to recognize a snow shovel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
how was her trip to Indiana????
Her trip went well, exhausting, she got there Sunday at midnight and took a taxi to the hotel, which was only 3 blocks from where she needed to be the next morning at 9:00am, then from the interview back to the airport where she was delayed for an hour, landing in Atlanta with only 10 minutes until her connecting flight took off. She didn't get to see much, but was quite impressed by the steam coming from the street grates. Something we don't see here. She did notice the lack of homeless people, but being it was so cold, maybe they where in a shelter for the night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmlrtime View Post
Since it is now Dec 3, I'm most interested in knowing what has transpired since your last post. I'm hoping your wife got the job and you're making plans for your furture here. I've lived in Indiana all my life (except for one year in Coral Gables, FL as a 12 year old) and have several family members who have lived in Venice, FL for the last 20 years, and we all agree that there is no better place to live, work and raise a family than the Indianapolis, area. I've lived in Noblesville and Fishers (both suburbs just north of the "big city" and can honestly say the opportunities for enjoying the ultimate in family life, not to mention the relatively low cost of living, make this a perfect place to call home.
I have a good friend who lives in Brownsburg and while he likes the proximity to the city, doesn't think the school system and amenities are comparable to Noblesville, Carmel or Fishers, all three being in Hamilton County. I am retired from real estate sales so can't speak with credibility on the job oppportunities in your or your wife's field, but I certainly recommend pursuing other possibilities in the Indpls area if her desired position is not offered to her. Please know I wish you the best in making this difficult decision and then transition. I might also mention, incidentally, that our beautiful weather prevails from the middle of March to the middle of Nov. and the winter months are almost always fairly mild so you shouldn't avoid Indiana because of the difference in temperatures. Having 4 seasons, 3 of which are absolutely lovely and the 4th (winter) sometimes a little dreary, makes Indiana living quite enjoyable! Good luck and let me know what happens!
We haven't heard anything definitive yet, she was told that they would make their decision this week and if she didn't hear anything by the end of this week then she didn't get the job. It's going to be a long 5 days. However, last week (Thursday), she recieved an email from them asking her for updated phone numbers on two of her references because the numbers she listed had been changed. She provided them the new numbers but they have yet to try and contact them. We also know that another of her references is currently playing phone tag with them. This of course is a good sign, but she is one of 3 finalists, so chances are, they are checking those references as well. Still a toss up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessnaairplane784 View Post
Goodbye Florida, I was reading your posts here, and you're one of the only few people I heard of who would give up living near the beaches. But you have to go where life leads you, and if Indy is the place, I wish the best for you and your wife. I live in a suburb about 20 miles due north of Atlanta (equivalent of Carmel to Indianapolis) and am sure ready to get out of here. Traffic here in Atlanta is torture, and after living here for 20+ years, I don't understand why so many folks are flocking here to Atlanta and its suburbs. I guess the weather is a factor.

Similar to you, one thing I probably have to adjust to is the bitter cold. It sometimes gets pretty cold in the Atlanta area but its every Hoosier's dream if you have lows in the mid 20's in the middle of January for several days. You can barely find temperatures in the teens in Atlanta, but on rare occasions, it has happened before.
I have no interest in the beaches to be honest, I've been here all my life, it's just water with some sand to me. I WILL miss bikini's, but not the beaches, I hardly ever go. Don't get me wrong, I've had some wonderful times at the beach, especially during holidays, but it's not worth dealing with all the other problems. Cold is going to be hard to get used to, as far as 'snow', I grew up in Miami during the 80's, I'm familiar with 'snow' just not the cold kind.

Good luck to you as well, it's tough out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybemover96b View Post
I am 56 years old and moved from Florida to Indianapolis in the summer of 2009. I couldn't be happier.

I have traded third world pay scales, bugs, dealing with grouchy old people (present older people reading this excluded), traffic lunacy, dumb and dumber and humidity that makes people melt for at worst two and one-half to three months of real cold in Indiana. Keep in mind first year here you'll probably think it's cold in October. I grew up in Maine so it's all relative to past experience I guess. LOL

But it was worth it moving to Indianapolis.

Indianapolis is filled with friendly, courteous, considerate and thoughtful people who will make you feel welcomed. Are there problems — of course. There is no place that I know of the can call itself Utopia.

Despite what some in Florida may tell you, there is much to do in sports, arts, music, family events.
OMG, the pay scale here totally stinks, it's so expensive to live here yet we get paid pennies. My wife would be jumping over 20K if she gets this job AND it would be much cheaper to live there. It's disgusting the way employers treat us here. Luckily, for the last 12 years, prior to being let go, I worked for one of the few good ones, who adjusted us annually and distributed the profits among the employees. My wife is on year number 2 without a christmas bonus. Her raise, considering she got a degree, was an insult. In the meantime, the company, this year alone purchased at least 5 other companies nationwide.

You left out the crime from your list. A few years ago, we where voted more dangerous than Compton (we've all seen the movies). Gangs are around every corner, drugs are abundant (for kids it's easier to get them than a pack of smokes). You can't even switch lanes on the highway without fear that someone might think you cut them off and shoot you. And yes, it IS that bad sometimes.

I know we'll freeze our butts off, but hey, this morning it was 42 here, tomorrow we'll be in the 30's. We do get cold snaps here, but they only last a few days and don't leave a white playground in its wake. The one thing we are most looking forward to is actually experiencing a white christmas. Last year, we had a wet Christmas, but I don't think rain counts.

Thank you all for your comments, I will try to keep you updated as this process moves forward, but this is the week, and it's going to be a long 5 days. As of noon Monday, we have not heard from anyone, including any of her references...Thank you all for the good wishes, and if you don't mind, up the prayers a little this week. We've known that this job was a longshot from the get-go, but we never thought that she'd get this close....anything is possible..

Last edited by Goodbye Florida; 12-06-2010 at 10:17 AM..

Old 12-06-2010, 02:26 PM

63 posts, read 205,625 times
Thinking good thoughts for you!

When we first moved to Indiana decades ago, we did so just before a hideous cold snap - temps were double digits below zero without even considering the wind chill. My mom was preparing to move away at the first opportunity until her new coworkers assured her that it was very unusual weather. While the winter is definitely not my favorite time of year (I am quite thin blooded) the utter giddiness of watching the world reawaken in spring is rather magical.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:43 PM

28 posts, read 56,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandboo View Post
Thinking good thoughts for you!

When we first moved to Indiana decades ago, we did so just before a hideous cold snap - temps were double digits below zero without even considering the wind chill. My mom was preparing to move away at the first opportunity until her new coworkers assured her that it was very unusual weather. While the winter is definitely not my favorite time of year (I am quite thin blooded) the utter giddiness of watching the world reawaken in spring is rather magical.

One of the benefits we might have (if she actually gets the job) is that she wouldn't start until after the background check, which we are told could take 4 to 6 months. Which would put us at mid-spring / early summer. That's when we would be moving. Which is when we'd take advantage of off season sales for winter clothes, which we have none, and give us a few months to research and prepare as well as gradually move into the cold season. It would be quite a shock to go from 80 to 20 overnight like that.

Now, I just hope she gets selected, if not, then we'll probably end up staying here.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:45 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybemover96b View Post
I am 56 years old and moved from Florida to Indianapolis in the summer of 2009. I couldn't be happier.

I have traded third world pay scales, bugs, dealing with grouchy old people (present older people reading this excluded), traffic lunacy, dumb and dumber and humidity that makes people melt for at worst two and one-half to three months of real cold in Indiana. Keep in mind first year here you'll probably think it's cold in October. I grew up in Maine so it's all relative to past experience I guess. LOL

But it was worth it moving to Indianapolis.

Indianapolis is filled with friendly, courteous, considerate and thoughtful people who will make you feel welcomed. Are there problems — of course. There is no place that I know of the can call itself Utopia.

Despite what some in Florida may tell you, there is much to do in sports, arts, music, family events.

As far as jobs are concerned I found sites that might be helpful to you.

Indianapolis Accounting Jobs at Jobs.net : Jobs in Indianapolis, Indiana and the surrounding area

Accountemps - Home

http://www.indianacareerconnect.com/...=&zip=&radius=

(This last one is Indiana Career Connect job site. Shows jobs ranging from $29K to $74K for one job.)

Good luck in whatever choices you make and Happy Holidays

Florida is VERY overrated. I love it when people complain about winter. Do you know what people in FL do most of the year? Sit inside in A/C and avoid the outdoors. Do people in the midwest or northeast sit inside for 7 months? I don't think so.

I have lived in 5 states(currently in the dumshine state), right now it is beautiful in FL, but not worth the 7 months of horrific heat and humidity with very violent thunder storms you have to suffer through for four or five months of nice to semi-nice weather.

And there is nothing refreshing about going to the beach when the water is like bathwater.

And you're right about rude people and really bad drivers.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:20 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Florida is VERY overrated. I love it when people complain about winter. Do you know what people in FL do most of the year? Sit inside in A/C and avoid the outdoors. Do people in the midwest or northeast sit inside for 7 months? I don't think so.

I have lived in 5 states(currently in the dumshine state), right now it is beautiful in FL, but not worth the 7 months of horrific heat and humidity with very violent thunder storms you have to suffer through for four or five months of nice to semi-nice weather.

And there is nothing refreshing about going to the beach when the water is like bathwater.

Hmmm - so now you are bashing Florida in this forum too? Well, some of us are outside 12 months of the year. I personally love Florida, the state I was born in. I would not live anywhere else. My in-laws live in Indiana but they love Florida, and only stay in Indiana to take care of a relative. They come down every chance they get. They are world travelers and have lived in some beautiful countries. There is nowhere they love more than southwest Florida where me and my hubby currently live.

I am not knocking Indiana, it's home for a lot of folks, home is where the heart is, and can understand that since it is how I feel about Florida. People love different areas for different reasons. I just hate to see the wholesale bashing that goes on, especially from people who who do not live in, or have anything to do with Indiana but just want to come and troll the forum to bash Florida, since apparently bashing and telling lies in the Florida forum just doesn't seem like enough for them.

There is a reason why Florida is the third most populated state in the country - for everyone who wants to leave there are 10 more that want to come here.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:40 PM

231 posts, read 701,050 times
Goodbye Florida:OMG, the pay scale here totally stinks, it's so expensive to live here yet we get paid pennies. My wife would be jumping over 20K if she gets this job AND it would be much cheaper to live there. It's disgusting the way employers treat us here.

Seain Dublin:Florida is VERY overrated. I love it when people complain about winter. Do you know what people in FL do most of the year? Sit inside in A/C and avoid the outdoors. Do people in the midwest or northeast sit inside for 7 months? I don't think so.

I totally agree with the both of you!!!

gypsychic: Hmmm - so now you are bashing Florida in this forum too?
^^^^^^STALKER!!!! Why do some people feel the need to follow other posters around???

Old 12-06-2010, 07:19 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Hmmm - so now you are bashing Florida in this forum too? Well, some of us are outside 12 months of the year. I personally love Florida, the state I was born in. I would not live anywhere else. My in-laws live in Indiana but they love Florida, and only stay in Indiana to take care of a relative. They come down every chance they get. They are world travelers and have lived in some beautiful countries. There is nowhere they love more than southwest Florida where me and my hubby currently live.

I am not knocking Indiana, it's home for a lot of folks, home is where the heart is, and can understand that since it is how I feel about Florida. People love different areas for different reasons. I just hate to see the wholesale bashing that goes on, especially from people who who do not live in, or have anything to do with Indiana but just want to come and troll the forum to bash Florida, since apparently bashing and telling lies in the Florida forum just doesn't seem like enough for them.

There is a reason why Florida is the third most populated state in the country - for everyone who wants to leave there are 10 more that want to come here.
I'm entitled to my opinion as you are yours. FL is very pleasant in the winter months, and hot and miserable for the rest of the time. For me, four months of nice weather isn't worth eight months of torture.

And I don't "troll" the forum. This post happened to be on the main board and it caught my eye.

I get very tired of hearing about the " awful" cold weather, there is another side to it. Like dreading running errands in the heat and humidity for months and months, and unlike other places, even after it gets dark it never cools down.

I would take a dry heat any day over this.

There are much nicer places in the US than Florida.

But unlike you, I don't get nasty to the poster who has a different point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis