Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which college team has the largest following in Indianapolis?
Indiana Univsersity Hoosiers (Bloomington, IN) 14 58.33%
Purdue University Boilermakers (WL, IN) 5 20.83%
University of Notre Dame Fighting Irish (SB, IN) 5 20.83%
Other (specify in a comment) 0 0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 03:34 PM

174 posts, read 521,773 times

Advertisements

Indy is a big market with a lot of great sports schools in the area. Which team has the most fans? Make sure to vote in the poll!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 11:30 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,588,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBurbs View Post
Indy is a big market with a lot of great sports schools in the area. Which team has the most fans? Make sure to vote in the poll!
I feel like it's IU most likely with Purdue slightly behind. I would also say that Butler is above Notre Dame.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:29 AM

17,763 posts, read 39,583,552 times
Butler may be above ND down here, but go north of US 30, it's all ND ... they don't even know what Butler is up there unless they have family going to school there. The only reason Butler is known now is because of their basketball team last year. Not hating either. I love that Butler is extremely competitive. The more college competition in this basketball mecca, the better, say I.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:04 AM

355 posts, read 907,232 times
Depends which sport, basketball is IU and Purdue obviously, ND being in the Big East hurts this, but with football, its ND above all others unless some specifically went to IU or one of the years Purdue is good.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:15 AM

912 posts, read 1,327,304 times
IU Hoosiers I am a huge fan .

Old 12-13-2010, 06:30 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,588,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krsheely View Post
Depends which sport, basketball is IU and Purdue obviously, ND being in the Big East hurts this, but with football, its ND above all others unless some specifically went to IU or one of the years Purdue is good.
Yeah I always feel like the only football that matters to Indianapolis is the Colts. Yeah, people do follow college football, but it isn't really taken too seriously like it is in other cities with major universities.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:08 PM

454 posts, read 691,866 times
Coming as an outsider to this area with no Big Ten allegiances, I'd say based on conversations and people I know, as well as indicators such as university-logo license plates and clothing worn in public, I'd say it's IU first with Purdue a close second, as you would expect from two public universities. ND is probably third.

And I agree partly b/c of how IU and Purdue have done recently, not too many people here care about college football, it's all about the NFL.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:17 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,714,097 times
In the southern half of Indy it seems more IU-oriented while the northern half seems more Purdue-oriented. ND is more of a Chicago team than an Indy team, at least where football is concerned.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:19 AM

355 posts, read 907,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
In the southern half of Indy it seems more IU-oriented while the northern half seems more Purdue-oriented. ND is more of a Chicago team than an Indy team, at least where football is concerned.
What other sports of ND would anyone in Indy follow? Indy is BigTen Basketball country all the way, PU and IU are good at those.

But college football no one here cares about, but if they do they watch ND games, period. I found this true especially among "working class whites" they feel some sort of alligence to the team for some reason.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:54 AM

8,940 posts, read 17,164,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krsheely View Post

But college football no one here cares about, but if they do they watch ND games, period.
I completely disagree.

I know plenty of Purdue football fans who live and die with that team every Saturday.

I have met people at the Applebee's on East Washington Street to watch late night Pac-10 college football.

College football may not be as big a deal around here; but plenty of people care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis