Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 04:26 PM

5 posts, read 18,922 times

Advertisements

Hey,

new to here. My husband will work at Louisvile, and I am working at south inner town of Indianapolis. We are thinking about find a house, closer to me, but not too long travel time for my husband. The closer to I-65, the better. We are thinking about either very south of Greenwood, or whiteland, Franklin, or Columbus. Could someone give us some suggestions and informations? Such as community, living quality, hourse market, school system, property tax and more

great thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 04:58 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,078,282 times
Given the drives for both you and your husband, I would say Columbus for sure. Even with Columbus, your husband is going to have a long drive. I just checked and Google maps say the drive is around an hour and 20 mins, with the distance being 72 miles. The current speed limit on Indiana interstates is 70MPH. I have driven this drive a few times in the last few years. I think it will only take him about an hour before he gets to downtown Louisville. Set the cruise at 72-74 and he likely won't get stopped for speeding.

I think the schools in all the places are good. There are tools at the state website that can give you info on the schools. That being said, I think as long as you are involved, and your kids don't turn out to be losers, they will get a decent education at any of the public schools in the areas you listed.

Your property taxes are capped at 1% of your home's assessed value. Assessed value can be manipulated by local government, so if you buy a non-foreclosure, make sure you fight for a correct "market value" assessed value. There are some exceptions that voters can vote to go over the cap, but it likely won't be by much.

I really like the entire area. Greenwood, and even New Whiteland is going to have a more urban feel, just because you are so much closer to Indy. However, Columbus is big enough, and if you enjoy the outdoors in terms of woods, hiking, and camping, Columbus and Franklin are much closer to that sort of stuff. All the communities listed have housing near I-65 on/off ramps.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:23 AM

261 posts, read 501,009 times
I think you have to go with Columbus. I couldn't imagine commuting to Louisville from Greenwood or Whiteland. That would just be too far. I know that drive like the back of my hand and chopping off the 30 miles from Greenwood to Columbus will make a huge difference for your husband as traffic can get pretty congested through that stretch given that it's only two lanes (65 in Indiana should be three lanes in the rural areas like it is through much of Kentucky - at least the Columbus to Greenwood stretch).

Like 317 said, that area is pretty nice. I really like the far south-side from south of 465 through Greenwood (haven't really spent much time in Whiteland or Franklin, Columbus is nice too). That area has everything you need and isn't nearly as congested as the north-side suburbs. Plus getting to downtown Indy from the south side via 65 is an absolute breeze compared to the commutes people have from Hamilton County. Greenwood offers direct interstate access to downtown, something those places don't.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:02 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Driving to L-ville from Columbus is going to be a haul. You could look a little further south to Seymour too. If there is any chance you or he could telecommute, that would be for the best because, as you may or may not know, the winter driving here can be very dangerous. Last week, we had an ice storm in Columbus, rain in Louisville and a blizzard in Indianapolis with ice added in ...

Old 02-07-2011, 02:04 PM

96 posts, read 195,232 times
Of those three choices I'd have to go with Columbus. Domergurl is right, the commute to Louisville will be a rough haul but Columbus is a great small city that you wouldn't regret calling home.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:21 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
Given the drives for both you and your husband, I would say Columbus for sure. Even with Columbus, your husband is going to have a long drive. I just checked and Google maps say the drive is around an hour and 20 mins, with the distance being 72 miles. The current speed limit on Indiana interstates is 70MPH. I have driven this drive a few times in the last few years. I think it will only take him about an hour before he gets to downtown Louisville. Set the cruise at 72-74 and he likely won't get stopped for speeding.
I would even say that 75 MPH is completely safe as far as speeding tickets go, although I average about 80 MPH.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:39 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,078,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
I would even say that 75 MPH is completely safe as far as speeding tickets go, although I average about 80 MPH.
75 is likely safe. I just forgot that the area just north of Louisville is considered a metro area, and the speed limit drops back down to 55. I have always seen a lot of state troopers in that small six mile or so stretch before the state line. The lower limit is likely why they add about another 20 mins or so to the drive.

While the drive is long, I have heard of people (and have a relative) that drives 1 hr 45 to work, and a 2 hour commute from work. Thankfully they get every other Friday off and travel a lot so the commute isn't every single week. Hopefully the husband can flex his time every so often, or fly out of Indy if he travels.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:03 PM

317 is right. As a New Albany, IN native, I can tell you that the I-65 stretch from about mile marker 9 in Indiana (Sellersburg) to Louisville is one of the worst areas around as far as state troopers are concerned. In fact, I remember reading in the Louisville paper a couple years ago that that area is the most heavily ticketed in the entire state They are CONSTANTLY hanging around that area and will nail you for doing something like a 62 in a 55. They have no mercy. I don't think there's ever been a time I've been on that stretch of road without seeing someone pulled over.

It's a lot different there than it is when you're on 65 heading into Indy. I've driven 65 into Indy from the south a billion times and I never see speed traps. You can float into Indy on 65.

I usually drive 80 on 65 in the rural parts which is probably pushing it a bit.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:19 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,413,339 times
Columbus in a heatbeat considering the commute. It's not a bad town at all. Solid schools and an incredible architecture heritage.

It can not be said enough: your husband can cruise down 65 going close to 80 most of the way, but he really needs to be careful at around Scottsburg all the way south to the river. The troopers are merciless there. My dad was busted when we were kids for going 7 over on the way to FL, and I warned a buddy of mine driving to Nashville through there to no avail: another ticket for going 6 or 7 over.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:25 PM

Yeah, I always feel sorry for all of the out-of-towners who are used to driving fast in major metro areas (like Indy) and get burned near the river for doing 7 over. I'm usually pro-police officer, but what they do down there is borderline harassment if you ask me. It's a waste of taxpayer dollars to pay cops to camp out on the interstate so they can bust people doing 62 in a 55.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis