Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 05:03 PM

8,941 posts, read 17,173,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Actually, there is literally no construction from 10th street to the Sam Jones Expressway. I noticed this today as I went to the airport and had no idea why the speed limit was 45. All that needs to be done is the opening of the left lane and it would be complete. Anyway the speed limit is ridiculous. 55 MPH should be the construction zone speed limit and the rest of the freeway should be 65 MPH.
There are giant orange signs for miles, warning people that 465 on the west side is under construction. It is ludicrous to think someone can claim there were no signs or indications that there is a work zone over there. To think someone would try to fight that is beyond ridiculous. I am sorry, it is. If someone does not notice, they are not paying enough attention and SHOULD be ticketed. Pay attention next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 08:04 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,589,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
There are giant orange signs for miles, warning people that 465 on the west side is under construction. It is ludicrous to think someone can claim there were no signs or indications that there is a work zone over there. To think someone would try to fight that is beyond ridiculous. I am sorry, it is. If someone does not notice, they are not paying enough attention and SHOULD be ticketed. Pay attention next time.
I understand that there are signs before the construction, but other than maybe one or two 45 MPH signs there is no indication of construction once you are in the area I mentioned. It is just an area for the state police to make some extra money. And I forgot to mention every city in Ohio as a place where urban speed limits are 60 or 65.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:11 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,480,695 times
Quote:
And I forgot to mention every city in Ohio as a place where urban speed limits are 60 or 65.
Ohio's rural speed limit on interstates is 65, not 70 as in Indiana.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
I understand that there are signs before the construction, but other than maybe one or two 45 MPH signs there is no indication of construction once you are in the area I mentioned. It is just an area for the state police to make some extra money. And I forgot to mention every city in Ohio as a place where urban speed limits are 60 or 65.
The speed limit on I-65 in Southport, which is in Marion County, is 65.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:50 AM

47 posts, read 168,631 times
Quote:
Actually, there is literally no construction from 10th street to the Sam Jones Expressway. I noticed this today as I went to the airport and had no idea why the speed limit was 45. All that needs to be done is the opening of the left lane and it would be complete. Anyway the speed limit is ridiculous. 55 MPH should be the construction zone speed limit and the rest of the freeway should be 65 MPH.

Exactly! There are NO work signs on the south side of 465, no work cones, 3 lanes open, etc. Up near 38th street and north of that there are orange cones, and obviously a work area. Where I got pulled over, south of 10th street near the airport there is nothing. Not a single thing as the person above stated as well. You would never know it was a work area if it was your first time driving through that section.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:10 PM

245 posts, read 680,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoax2 View Post
My family just moved here a few months ago from GA and seeing as how I'm not familiar with snow/ice I don't drive often. I only drive to and from work, by taking back county roads and it's only 15 minutes from my house. Last week I had to drive my daughter to Greenwood from Zionsville to a doctor appt and I drove on 465. I NEVER drive highways. However, I got pulled over for speeding. He clocked me doing 69 and the speed limit is 45. Yikes! I didn't if know I was speeding though. The speed signs are posted but every highway I've ever driven on the speed limit was 70 and I have NEVER heard of a speed limit being 45 on an interstate! That's just crazy. Not to mention I was going with the flow of traffic. Regardless, I was speeding. My ticket also stated it was a construction zone! Ouch! I know that is going to be double or triple a ticket now too. BUT....there were/are no work zone signs posted, no construction signs, no cones, no trucks, no workers. NOTHING to tell you it was a work zone. I took photos. Is it worth fighting? Someone told me something about a Traffic Ticket Diversion or Safe Driver Diversion or Defensive Driving Classes that may reduce it? Anyone familiar with any of that? Thanks for the help!
465 is under construction on the west side right now. It's not worth fighting. Pay the deferral fee and be glad your insurance premiums aren't going to shoot through the roof.

I used to fight tickets in court all the time and had a winning record, but apparently they caught on to people doing that and changed the rules for the cops, so they always show up to court now.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoax2 View Post
Exactly! There are NO work signs on the south side of 465, no work cones, 3 lanes open, etc. Up near 38th street and north of that there are orange cones, and obviously a work area. Where I got pulled over, south of 10th street near the airport there is nothing. Not a single thing as the person above stated as well. You would never know it was a work area if it was your first time driving through that section.
But you all are talking about maybe a 3 mile stretch of highway sandwhiched between obvious work zones. Why would the speed limit need to fluctuate for that short stretch?

Bottom line is this. If you do not realize you are in a work zone over there, you deserve the ticket. Pay attention!

Old 02-27-2011, 08:10 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,589,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
But you all are talking about maybe a 3 mile stretch of highway sandwhiched between obvious work zones. Why would the speed limit need to fluctuate for that short stretch?

Bottom line is this. If you do not realize you are in a work zone over there, you deserve the ticket. Pay attention!
It really wouldn't matter if the construction zone speed limit wasn't insane anyway. If the speed limits on 465 were 65 MPH in the first place, the construction zone limit would be 55 MPH. The bottom line is that people will drive what they feel safe driving and the state needs to adjust to that. I do agree that if you get a ticket you deserve it simply because you should realize you're in a workzone, but if the OP had gotten on at 10th street or further south, I would have a different opinion.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:42 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,480,695 times
Quote:
If the speed limits on 465 were 65 MPH in the first place, the construction zone limit would be 55 MPH.
Not necessarily. I've seen speed limits in construction zones on rural interstates drop to 45 whereas the normal speed limit is 70.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:18 PM

780 posts, read 1,537,345 times
Contact the police and inquire about the diversion program. If it was a construction zone, you will have to darn near beg for forgiveness. They are looking out for the safety of the employees who work the roads as there have been accidents in the past. I agree with Toxic, you have to play attention. The last time I travel on the west side of 465 the speed limit was 55 so you were still a little out of bounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis