Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 01:47 PM

6 posts, read 14,110 times

Advertisements

Hello we are moving to Indianapolis. My husband will be working off Shadeland Avenue. Can anyone tell me what neighborhoods are good to live in around there? I've not been there yet. We can't afford $1000 rent, so I'm needing to know good areas with affordable housing.

What is the crime like in that part of the city? What problems are there? Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 02:39 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Shadeland Ave is a pretty long road, broken into two sections. What part of Shadeland are you wondering about? The northern part of Shadeland, between 82nd Street and Fall Creek is a nice enough area. Between Brookville Road and 46th Street it tends to be more mixed as far as what is good and what is not as good. Between 30th Street and 46th Street, you will get mixed reviews as far whether or not it is a good area. The only reason I ever stop there anymore is because there is a Dunkin Donuts at the corner or 38th and Shadeland. Convenient to my morning commute.

South of 70 to Brookville Road, it is better.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:54 PM

Thank you for your quick reply! Warren Park seems to be pretty close by where he will be working. What do you think of that area?

Old 03-10-2011, 08:16 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Warren Park is pretty quiet. There is a Kroger at 10th and Shadeland that I occasionally do my grocery shopping at when I am in the area. You probably will not have a problem finding something in your price range. I am not fond of the apartments over there, but you can probably find a rental house.

As far as crime, it really is not as bad as most people seem to think. The east side gets a bad rap from non-east siders. I am surprised the usual suspects on this forum have not arrived yet to tell you how scary they think the east side is. Anyway, Washington Street is a main drag east of 465, target, chain restaurants. Washington Square Mall is over there too, but it has seen better days. I personaly only visit for the Target and the AMC movie theater.

How close to Warren Park are you looking to stay? You could also look further into town in areas like Irvington and Little Flower. You could also go further east into Hancock County if a more rural setting suits you.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:03 AM

355 posts, read 911,757 times
If Warren Park is the neighborhood between 10 and 16th, and post and franklin then that is where I spent years 5-21 of my life. My brother still lives in the neighborhood. Quiet Quiet Quiet, the neighborhood accross 10th toward Washington is not near as good but the one I grew up in had some of the nicest housing stock and yards in this direct part of town. Lots of old people. The only thing is, it is the East side and while I have absolutely no problem in any area around here (won't go to the west side mostly) people who havent grown up here will tell you a different story. Lately I don't think either side is wrong it all depends on what surrondings you can deal with. But I would honestly say that neighborhood and some of the surronding areas are some of the best you will find around, so if you are going to choose the eastside the area you picked is good. We need more upstanding folks to make a difference out east so come on over

Old 03-27-2011, 03:06 PM

We found the perfect spot on the Marion/hancock County Line. It's only 8 miles to my husbands work. PERFECT area for us!! Thanks y'all! You were a great help. There were some areas on the east side that were not for me but the far east side is excellent! We love it!!

Old 01-16-2014, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,010 times
hi im need help trying to find a place that go off your income in Indianapolis i dont care what side it b on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis