Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,324 times

Advertisements

We are an Indian family and palnning to move in carmel from california. But we have few concerns:
1. How many Indian families are there?
2.Want to know about the diversity in schools. My son is now in 8th grade, but his height is short. What are the acceptance chances in school for a short Indian boy.
3. What is the total cost of owning a house including property taxes, sales taxes, utilities.
Please help me in getting the answers so that we can plan our move from california to indianapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 11:41 PM

386 posts, read 258,773 times
So where did you end up moving?

On the traffic thing, I always laugh at folks that think Indianapolis traffic, especially I-69 is bad. Having lived in Arizona and Vegas, I-69 is childs play in comparison.

---
Jason

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 05-14-2011 at 09:47 PM..

Old 05-13-2011, 01:15 PM

245 posts, read 680,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravita View Post
We are an Indian family and palnning to move in carmel from california. But we have few concerns:
1. How many Indian families are there?
As of the 2010 census, there were roughly 3,200 Indian people living in Hamilton County, which includes the suburban towns of Carmel, Fishers, Noblesville and Westfield. They make up 1.2% of the overall population of that county.

In Marion County, which includes the City of Indianapolis, there were 3,300 Indian people as of the 2010 census. They, however, only make up 0.4% of the population. If I had to guess, I would think Washington Township has the greatest number of Indian families.

Quote:
2.Want to know about the diversity in schools. My son is now in 8th grade, but his height is short. What are the acceptance chances in school for a short Indian boy.
The most diverse schools are in the city. Hamilton County is a very homogenous place; it is 90% white. As a former resident that went through school there, I can tell you that being different in any way will often make a child a target. Of course, kids can be cruel anywhere, but when nine out of ten kids are white, it's a lot easier to stick out if you're non-white.

Again, I would suggest Washington Township for a balance of quality education and diversity. North Central High School is among the best in the state. Also, if you're interested in private schools, you might find the International School would suit you:

http://www.isind.org/

Quote:
3. What is the total cost of owning a house including property taxes, sales taxes, utilities.
Please help me in getting the answers so that we can plan our move from california to indianapolis.
This is a tough question to answer because it depends on a lot of variables like the size and value of the home, which utility companies serve the area, and so on. You can buy a lot of house in Indianapolis for under $200,000, so I'll use that number as a point of reference. Property taxes, by law, can't exceed 1% of the value of the home. In this case, it would be no more than $2,000 annually. Sales tax on most things in the Indy area is 7%, but there are added taxes on bars and restaurants. I think the highest is 9%. Utility costs, of course, also depend on usage. If you have a huge house, naturally it will cost more to heat and cool. Here are links to some of the major utility providers in the area:

Indianapolis Power and Light: Indianapolis Power & Light Co. (http://www.iplpower.com/ipl/index?page=IPLLanding&Menu=01000000&category=Resid ential - broken link)

Citizen's Gas: For Homes | Citizens Gas

Producing clean, safe, quality drinking water for customers in and around Indianapolis : Indianapolis Water

Hope that helps, and good luck with your move.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
If you can find something in carmel west of 31 the better. You wont go wrong in either city school wise. In those 2 cities i would work with a realtor and look for what you like.
Hi Mike,
I know this is an older post...I also find myself with the possibility of moving to the northside of Indy. A friend of mine also lives west of 31...can you tell me why you believe west of 31 is more preferable than east of 31?

thanks so much!

Old 01-24-2012, 01:34 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,481,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregongal3 View Post
Hi Mike,
I know this is an older post...I also find myself with the possibility of moving to the northside of Indy. A friend of mine also lives west of 31...can you tell me why you believe west of 31 is more preferable than east of 31?

thanks so much!
East is more developed than the West side of 31 however either side is great and you can't go wrong with Carmel's schools which are the best in the state.
Also the close proximity to Indianapolis helps and when events like Super Bowl 46 come to town its not a long trip to reach downtown.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:15 AM

1,705 posts, read 3,052,831 times
Quote:
From what I can tell, west of 31 has more newer homes and more pricy subdivisions. East of 31 definitely has their upper end subdivisions, but it seems the west side was just recently developed.

Check out the Village of West Clay for info:

The Village of WestClay®

Old 01-25-2012, 02:53 PM

891 posts, read 2,440,567 times
I would look in West carmel, East Zionsville. there are several new neighborhoods being built just east of 421/Michigan road starting 146th street on the north edge to about 121st on the south along West Road and Shelborne road. You can just drive the area and see new subdivision after new subdivision. Homes in the 300-400K range

Old 01-26-2012, 06:42 AM

3,392 posts, read 3,427,791 times
Quote:
Hi Mike,

thanks so much!
West of 31 has less traffic and is still building. Huge homes that is. East of 31 is for the most part already developed and has more traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis