Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 09:17 PM

386 posts, read 261,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan75 View Post
I looked at some 5-year old Ryland homes yesterday, and they looked brand new. I couldn't find any defects in them.

Fishers/Noblesville is better for my for the commute to work. I've looked at several older homes also. I haven't been able to find a good floor plan, and the prices are nearly the same as new homes.
What kind of floor plan are you looking for? If you're wanting open floor plans (that's what my wife wanted), check out the models listed on Ryland for my subdivision, Westminster. I've been in quite a few neighbors places and most of them are really open.

All said, I think I've got about 4200 square feet including my unfinished basement/man cave. Additionally, you can get full brick wrap in our subdivision I believe -- or at least you could when I moved in back in 2007.

---
Jason

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 05-14-2011 at 08:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 06:37 AM

245 posts, read 683,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svoboda View Post
We were in the Lawrence school system prior to moving to Fishers and it is nowhere near the quality that is available out here. Our son went from being in "double advanced" classes and had to move down because the Fishers schools were very much further ahead.

Additionally, if you have a kid with special needs, the HSE school district also has some very nice options available.

---
Jason
I don't know if your kid was in the program or not, but Lawrence Township has a foreign language immersion program, starting at the elementary level, which I think is unique in the area. Also, the charter school options around the city are all outstanding. Herron High School, on East 16th Street downtown, was rated the best in the state a year or two ago. I've heard good things about the Irvington charters as well.

Don't take this as a slam because that's not how it's meant. I'm glad you like the suburbs, but you can keep them. In the grand scheme of things, there are only a few schools around Indianapolis that I wouldn't send my kid to because the vast majority of influence over a kid's education isn't the school or even the teacher, but the parents. Furthermore, there is a lot more to education that what is learned from a book, and I think the wealthy, homogeneous bubble of Hamilton County is hardly representative of most of reality.

The bottom line is, this is a personal choice and I'm glad you're happy with where you are. I stand by my suggestion to the OP and anyone else that reads this board looking for similar advice.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 05-14-2011 at 08:48 PM..

Old 05-12-2011, 06:59 AM

386 posts, read 261,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.dawsn View Post
I don't know if your kid was in the program or not, but Lawrence Township has a foreign language immersion program, starting at the elementary level, which I think is unique in the area. Also, the charter school options around the city are all outstanding. Herron High School, on East 16th Street downtown, was rated the best in the state a year or two ago. I've heard good things about the Irvington charters as well.
Rated best by who? Whomever it was obviously didn't look at the numbers. Less than a third of the kids passed the math and English assessments compared to 80% for Fishers HS. Considering that Fishers has 2,100 students and Herron High has 454, that's a pretty shocking number if you ask me. It underperformed the state level in the SAT (983 to 1083) whereas Fishers students averaged 1087.

All of this can be found on the IDOE website.

Quote:
Don't take this as a slam because that's not how it's meant. I'm glad you like the suburbs, but you can keep them. In the grand scheme of things, there are only a few schools around Indianapolis that I wouldn't send my kid to because the vast majority of influence over a kid's education isn't the school or even the teacher, but the parents. Furthermore, there is a lot more to education that what is learned from a book, and I think the wealthy, homogeneous bubble of Hamilton County is hardly representative of most of reality.

The bottom line is, this is a personal choice and I'm glad you're happy with where you are. I stand by my suggestion to the OP and anyone else that reads this board looking for similar advice.
Wealthy, homogenous bubble? How about you drop the absolutes and stereotypes? I'm not even getting any deeper into that rabbit hole. That said, I'm glad you stand by your suggestion. Someone that is looking at Indianapolis or the suburbs should visit each community and make their own decision.

---
Jason

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 05-14-2011 at 08:48 PM..

Old 05-12-2011, 07:03 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
.... there are only a few schools around Indianapolis that I wouldn't send my kid to because the vast majority of influence over a kid's education isn't the school or even the teacher, but the parents.
And as parents, one of the things we have to recognize is what works best for our children. In the case of the poster to whom you responded, it sounds like HSE offers a curriculum and environment that works better for his/her children.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:13 AM

245 posts, read 683,075 times
Quote:
Rated best by who? Whomever it was obviously didn't look at the numbers. Less than a third of the kids passed the math and English assessments compared to 80% for Fishers HS. Considering that Fishers has 2,100 students and Herron High has 454, that's a pretty shocking number if you ask me. It underperformed the state level in the SAT (983 to 1083) whereas Fishers students averaged 1087.

All of this can be found on the IDOE website.
The ranking was done by Newsweek, and is based on AP test data. In any case, based on Newsweek's ranking, North Central also ranks higher than any school in Hamilton County.

Quote:
Wealthy, homogenous bubble? How about you drop the absolutes and stereotypes? I'm not even getting any deeper into that rabbit hole. That said, I'm glad you stand by your suggestion. Someone that is looking at Indianapolis or the suburbs should visit each community and make their own decision.
Yes, wealthy and homogenous. I rescind the "bubble" part. According to the US Census, Hamilton County is 90% white. That's pretty homogenous by any reasonable assessment. HamCo is politically homogenous too - Democratic candidates don't even run because it's a waste of money...they know they won't stand a chance. I'm not even going to get into the "wealthy" part. It's the richest county in the state.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:32 PM

15 posts, read 26,810 times
We have friend that purchased with Ryan Homes and they are very happy. They got a lot for thier money. I would never build with Shoopmann Homes. I know a guy who worked there and he said they treat thier customers and employees bad. It's the old "Dura Builders". good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis