Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 02:55 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,605,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
It's the same link we've both posted for today's article. I just hope it will do what it says it will do when projects sometimes never go the way they were originally proposed. It should be interesting to see what this street side electronic displays will look like when it actually happens. Here's one of my photos of New York's Times Square for illustration. Obviously, it won't be as big as this. If the Star can pulls this off then I'm all for it. May be we can start mounting video screens on the side of some of the buildings at Monument Circle and down the Meridian Street corridor to create our own Times Square. Nothing wrong with dreaming just an idea. I'm so urban open minded anything goes in my book. The more the better. Here are my photos.
I would have to say absolutely not on Monument Circle or that part of Meridian Street. If Monument Circle had more retail or restaurants on the Northern half of it, I'd say that it would be perfect. It's already a great area and has a very historic feel. Electronic signs and video screens everywhere would ruin it.

With that said, you're idea sounds like a real winner on Georgia Street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 09:26 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,980,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
I would have to say absolutely not on Monument Circle or that part of Meridian Street. If Monument Circle had more retail or restaurants on the Northern half of it, I'd say that it would be perfect. It's already a great area and has a very historic feel. Electronic signs and video screens everywhere would ruin it.

With that said, you're idea sounds like a real winner on Georgia Street.
Georgia Street could use a bit more life to it. It's no Denver 16th Street Mall but I can see potential. Where ever they want to place video screens or crazy flashy billboards makes no difference to me as long as they can make the area a success.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:40 AM

1,607 posts, read 2,014,888 times
Quote:
... I use to live in 3 million dollar home ...
Expensive high income homes downtown market (Carmel isn't the only area)
Source: Downtown Indianapolis Real Estate - Homes for Sale in Downtown Indianapolis, Indianapolis, IN - realtor.com®
And why is this important to us... Okay we get it, you're rich. I'm not jealous or anything, I'm sure you earned it; but why mention it? That part I just don't get.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
And why is this important to us... Okay we get it, you're rich. I'm not jealous or anything, I'm sure you earned it; but why mention it? That part I just don't get.
Let's not take it out of context. If your going to quote at least quote the complete point I made earlier about people living in a wealthy area with up scale stores aren't the only shopping options for them as not everyone is confined to them. Also notice I said "use to" referring to a different moment of my life experience living in a 3 million dollar home which doesn't mean right now. There's a difference between I live (present) vs use to live (past). May be if I were to say I grew up in a rich environment it would be more clear. Can I relate to rich people living in the higher income demographic? yes but I can also relate to the middle and poor classes because I actually lived in all 3. Why should I lie about my life experience when it's the truth. Rather if I am or not is not important but I only bring that up to make a point because I can relate living in that environment and know that I would rather go downtown but that's just my preference. I'm only speaking from my own experience. You shouldn't be offended because of someone sharing the truth about their life experience regardless of class. It's one thing if I did it all the time just for the sake of bragging but I don't.

My original quote referring to past experience
Quote:
I use to live in 3 million dollar home but that didn't keep me from going downtown from the burbs to shop at Saks (Cincy).
What it does not mean presently in my original quote.
Quote:
I live in 3 million dollar home but that didn't keep me from going downtown from the burbs to shop at Saks (Cincy).

Old 07-19-2013, 09:33 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,975,078 times
Quote:
Let's not take it out of context. If your going to quote at least quote the complete point I made earlier about people living in a wealthy area with up scale stores aren't the only shopping options for them as not everyone is confined to them. Also notice I said "use to" referring to a different moment of my life experience living in a 3 million dollar home which doesn't mean right now. There's a difference between I live (present) vs use to live (past). May be if I were to say I grew up in a rich environment it would be more clear. Can I relate to rich people living in the higher income demographic? yes but I can also relate to the middle and poor classes because I actually lived in all 3. Why should I lie about my life experience when it's the truth. Rather if I am or not is not important but I only bring that up to make a point because I can relate living in that environment and know that I would rather go downtown but that's just my preference. I'm only speaking from my own experience. You shouldn't be offended because of someone sharing the truth about their life experience regardless of class. It's one thing if I did it all the time just for the sake of bragging but I don't.

My original quote referring to past experience

What it does not mean presently in my original quote.
It's painful to see that mass amounts of money still can't buy education or smarts when it comes to language and grammar skills. Should be "used to".

Old 07-19-2013, 09:35 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
It's painful to see that mass amounts of money still can't buy education or smarts when it comes to language and grammar skills. Should be "used to".

Should be "upscale" instead of "up scale" also.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:55 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,975,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Should be "upscale" instead of "up scale" also.
Lol, I suppose you're right on that one. The things that really bug me is the use and used, the it's and its, and there their and they're, those are the most common and annoying mistakes that even people I presumed were educated make.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:16 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,911,229 times
Quote:
Lol, I suppose you're right on that one. The things that really bug me is the use and used, the it's and its, and there their and they're, those are the most common and annoying mistakes that even people I presumed were educated make.
Language is just one form of an individual cognitive ability. Mathematical geniuses often have grammar issues but does that make him or her uneducated? I'm sure there are many disciplines you have failed to master.

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 07-20-2013, 01:00 AM

Quote:
It's also painful to see that some people like to judge others when they also have flaws in the closet they can't admit to. English wasn't my favorite subject in school but I won't pretend to live in a perfect world. There are also corrupt politicians who lack common sense with their great grammar education.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:08 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
as long as this thread has devolved into newspapers ... here's a great one ... check out the list of papers:

The Internet in 1981: Primitively Hilarious - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis