Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 08:43 PM

30 posts, read 128,478 times

Advertisements

I have multiple questions. If you are able to answer even one of them I would be grateful. I will place them in list order. We are moving this week from Ellicott City MD to Indy. We will be on the northwest side, about 1 mile south of Zionsville (I believe we are in Pike township?)

1. Has anyone dealt with Indiana Realty Partners before? We rented our house through them in May. We paid our security deposit and first month rent on the home. We have called the office multiple times to schedule the walk-through, a housekeeper to do a deep clean and to pick up the keys. We get voicemail only, nobody ever calls us back. I set up a walk through via email, but it makes me VERY nervous they have over $5k of our money and are not returning phone calls. I have logged over a dozen calls to them. Our moving van shows up next week, all of this makes me very nervous. They may be fine and just bogged down, but not returning calls for a whole week seems odd to me.

2. Swimming - Currently I take my child to a 90 degree kids pool for her swimming lessons (it is just a mommy and me class). The entire facility is designed just for kids and kids swimming (thus the higher water temps). Is there any comparable facility in Indianapolis?

3. Shopping - I like to pick up a few items at organic stores as well as Indian stores. Do you have a Whole foods, Fresh Market, MOM's or other local organic store, and do you have an Indian grocery store?

4. Museums/Zoo - I saw you have a top rated children's museum and a good zoo. I was looking at pricing and I saw they have memberhips available. We were spoiled by our free Smithsonian museums and zoo in DC. Do you think the memberships would be worth it for a 19 month old? She really enjoyed the DC museum as well as the please touch museum in nearby Philadelphia.

5. Music classes - I take our toddler to music classes on a weekly basis. She goes to Kidermusik here. Does anyone know of any Kindermusik classes in the area?

6. Mom's/Parent's groups - Out here we have a local Parent's group 800 members strong that we organized activities, trips and playgroups through. We each took turns hosting various events and playgroups. What similar groups are available in Indianapolis?

7. Walking - I am looking for paved parks with walking trails that I could push my jogging stroller on.

8. Kids Gym - In the winter we take our child to an indoor gym for an hour a week. The franchise out here is "My gym". I think there is one listed on the website in Fishers, are there any similar places closer to Zionsville?

9. Adult Gym - Any adult gyms near the Zionsville area that offer child care services.

10. Pediatrician - Looking for Pediatrician.

Thank you for looking at my questions and answering any if you are able.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 09:14 PM

29 posts, read 33,152 times
Swimming i would assume you could talk to your local YMCA for that cause most of them in America allow that. Pricing on the Zoo and Childrens museum not sure but its not an outrageous price i can tell you that. There is the Indianapolis 500 Hall of Fame Museum i personally went too on the weekend of Good friday and 1 word ITS AWSOME! i totally recommend it when your kids are somewhat into cars. Walking is iffy. Indy overall is a safe city however some places you don't want to stroll around on foot. Downtown and White River State Park are good for walking and pushing a stroller around though. Shopping has some good places fashion area is the Circle Centre and you have the keystone area shopping Malls and Greenwood.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:28 PM

3,397 posts, read 3,435,065 times
Theres a fresh market and a whole foods in westfield. Not that far from zionsville. Pike twp area.

Monon trail is perfect for strolls.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:30 PM

29 posts, read 33,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
Theres a fresh market and a whole foods in westfield. Not that far from zionsville. Pike twp area.

Monon trail is perfect for strolls.

This. lol totally forgot about the monon trail

Old 06-07-2011, 10:44 AM

6,458 posts, read 6,625,769 times
I lived most of my life in Indianapolis, raised my children there, and in fact am moving back to Indy next month after a few years in Chicago and Boston. I am very excited about living there again! I think you will find it to be a very family-friendly city, with a strong music/arts emphasis. You'll want to pick up the free newspaper "Indy's Child" at your local library. Try meetup.com to find parent groups (or any other interest group) in your area. I know there are a lot of kindermusik and other music groups, as I taught various music classes when I lived there, so I was pretty familiar with my competition! I would suggest you google "The Music Playhouse." I like their programs very much!!! As someone suggested, the Monon Trail is nice; you'll be relatively close to Eagle Creek Park, which is nice for walking as well as children's nature type activities. Also walk along the canal in downtown Indianapolis--it's beautiful. The Pike Performing Arts Center has a lot of nice programs for adults as well as children (I've been to children's concerts there for example), and a performing arts center just opened in Carmel, which I hear is magnificent. I strongly suggest you attend the Penrod Arts Fair in September, on the grounds of the Indianapolis Museum of Arts. There is a nice children's area, and you can learn about so many artsy opportunities in the area (ie children's music programs, and much more). The Penrod Arts Fair | Indiana's Nicest Day There are Whole Foods, and one of my friends used to belong to an organic foods coop, so google that. Good luck in your move, and I hope you love Indy! We're looking for a house on the northwest side, so maybe we'll end up as neighbors!

Old 06-08-2011, 08:33 AM

8,952 posts, read 17,200,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubagirl007 View Post
3. Shopping - I like to pick up a few items at organic stores as well as Indian stores. Do you have a Whole foods, Fresh Market, MOM's or other local organic store, and do you have an Indian grocery store?
I don't think anyone went in depth on this, so here goes.

There is a Fresh Market in Carmel and there is one in Indy at 54th and College.

There is a Whole Foods on 86th Street in Indy.

I get my international goods at Saraga International near the corner of 38th and Lafayette. There is a place called Om India further north on Lafayette Road by Value City Furniture.

Om India Plaza

Old 06-08-2011, 07:28 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,493,505 times
Quote:
4. Museums/Zoo - I saw you have a top rated children's museum and a good zoo. I was looking at pricing and I saw they have memberhips available. We were spoiled by our free Smithsonian museums and zoo in DC. Do you think the memberships would be worth it for a 19 month old? She really enjoyed the DC museum as well as the please touch museum in nearby Philadelphia.
Without a doubt, buy memberships. They pay for themselves in just a couple of visits. I have a 13-year-old son for whom I carried memberships to the zoo and Children's Museum for several years, and I continue to carry them now that I have a 2-year-old.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:32 PM

6 posts, read 20,868 times
Quote:
I have multiple questions. If you are able to answer even one of them I would be grateful. I will place them in list order. We are moving this week from Ellicott City MD to Indy. We will be on the northwest side, about 1 mile south of Zionsville (I believe we are in Pike township?) I live on the Northeast side. Can't help that much. But will try.

1. Has anyone dealt with Indiana Realty Partners before? We rented our house through them in May. We paid our security deposit and first month rent on the home. We have called the office multiple times to schedule the walk-through, a housekeeper to do a deep clean and to pick up the keys. We get voicemail only, nobody ever calls us back. I set up a walk through via email, but it makes me VERY nervous they have over $5k of our money and are not returning phone calls. I have logged over a dozen calls to them. Our moving van shows up next week, all of this makes me very nervous. They may be fine and just bogged down, but not returning calls for a whole week seems odd to me.

Welcome to Indy!! This is typically how all business is handled.

2. Swimming - Currently I take my child to a 90 degree kids pool for her swimming lessons (it is just a mommy and me class). The entire facility is designed just for kids and kids swimming (thus the higher water temps). Is there any comparable facility in Indianapolis?

For you it would be a long drive, but Lifetime Fitness has an excellent swimming program this time of year for children and it is a great gym. Definately the best in Indy. It is in Castleton which is on the northeast side.

The Childrens Museum is a great place. It is free the first Thursday of every month. The zoo is $8 per person I believe the first Tuesday of the month for the next few months.

5. Music classes - I take our toddler to music classes on a weekly basis. She goes to Kidermusik here. Does anyone know of any Kindermusik classes in the area?

Kindermusik

- Place page
maps.google.com - 100 86th Street West, Indianapolis

6. Mom's/Parent's groups - Out here we have a local Parent's group 800 members strong that we organized activities, trips and playgroups through. We each took turns hosting various events and playgroups. What similar groups are available in Indianapolis?

7. Walking - I am looking for paved parks with walking trails that I could push my jogging stroller on. Definately the Monon but I do not believe you have access from where you live. Not sure.

8. Kids Gym - In the winter we take our child to an indoor gym for an hour a week. The franchise out here is "My gym". I think there is one listed on the website in Fishers, are there any similar places closer to Zionsville?

9. Adult Gym - Any adult gyms near the Zionsville area that offer child care services. I believe all the gyms here offer childcare services. Cardinal is the cheapest gym w/childcare. There are several locations throughout Indy. You should have no problem finding one near you.

10. Pediatrician - Looking for Pediatrician.

Thank you for looking at my questions and answering any if you are able.
Hope this helps.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:48 PM

30 posts, read 128,478 times
Thank you everyone who has responded. I have arrived in Indy and am already started to put the information to use. Thanks again!

Old 06-13-2011, 03:12 PM

15 posts, read 26,724 times

There is also Trader Joes! There is one on 86th and Michigan RD which sounds like it will be close to where you are living.

Definately for the Children's Museum go for the membership!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis