Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2007, 12:24 PM

52 posts, read 213,006 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about these areas. My husband and I are leaving next month to buy a home in Indy. Now we have found numerous unbelieveably cheap homes in these two zip codes. I expect that this is due to not being the best of neighborhoods and run down houses. My husband is a carpenter so we are fine with putting up new walls and I think I can deal with the crime but does anyone have any experience in these parts of the city? Please and thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 02:20 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
Totally personal opinion. Stop do not pass go. 46218 is BAD. If you check with the police you will find out why. When there is a shooting this is one of the areas you expect to be the location. South of 38th and east of Keystone. There may be some pockets to live in in the southern fringe but you are going to have to inspect the neighborhood carefully for vacant houses, etc. It is a big area.

46208 is a lot of old big poorly maintained foursquare houses south of 38th. We used to drive it every day coming to work along Capital and I would not live there(did not even want to stop there). It is less of a problem to move north of 38th on these same streets within the same zip code. There are a few newish infill houses in the whole area built as affordable housing but this area also requires close checking.

I would suggest due to turmoil in the whole real estate market that you rent first and do a lot of checking. Otherwise I can almost guarantee that you will be disappointed in your choice and the price.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:01 PM

57 posts, read 236,129 times
Lightbulb a different view

I live in the 46218 zip code. Yes, there are a plethora of extremely affordable homes in this area. However, I become annoyed when people who obviously don't know what they are talking about spout off about how bad someone else's neighborhood allegedly is.

First, let me say that 46218 encompasses a rather large area. Some neighborhoods within that area are better or worse than others, but the same can be said of every single zip code in the city of Indianapolis.

Second, there are not murders or shootings in this area every day, or week, or whatever the previous poster said. In terms of violent crime and drugs, most of that can be found in the 46201 and 46203 zip codes. Even then, there are neighborhoods, such as Little Flower, Emerson Heights, and Irvington, that are quite nice.

Third, I have lived in the same neighborhood (in 46218) for over 30 years and I have NEVER been the victim of a crime of any sort.

My advice is to drive around and become familiar with the different areas of town when you get here. That way, you will get a better feel for where you are comfortable. My neighborhood, while not trendy, is very quiet and close to shopping.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:03 AM

And that is just why I said "Totally personal Opinion" as the first three words. Just as Broad Ripple is not always everywhere a good place to live because of crowds, rowdiness, crime, etc., there are areas within other zips that on the surface appear to have a bad crime problem but are perfectly fine.

It is scary when people outside the state are trying to find a place to live and just ask about "zip codes". That is way too general. It is like asking for a safe and quiet place.

I am trying to get across to this poster that you have to make your own opinion. Note the end of the post I told them to rent and check out the areas themselves. What can be nice in one area of a zip code can be very bad in others.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:44 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,758,918 times
The north end of 46208 is the Butler Tarkington neighborhood. It used to pride itself with being the only truly integrated neighborhood in Indiana. I haven't been there for years but I can tell you that it used to be a warm, friendly proud area that people were proud to be a part of. I only hope it has maintained its charm.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:10 AM

yes the north end can be really charming. The split in investment seems to be around 38th and 40th and north. The gentrification is rapidly going south to 40th but there are still homes to remodel. Beware houses close to Butler University because many are rented to groups of students and there have been conflicts with too many cars, parties and general rowdiness. I even heard one landlord talking about his rentals with 6 kids pushed into a tiny house for over $2000 per month total.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:10 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,147,548 times
46208 Takes you south of 38th St, which can be bad even though they are starting to rebuild the areas. It is also home to Butler University and the surrounding just east of the Indianapolis Museum of Art. Last but not least, 46208 is also the home zip code of the Governors mansion as well as a nice chunk of the Manion's going up and down Meridian on the North side.

The thing about zipcodes is this, every zipcode in the United States has good areas and bad, so you never want to down an entire zipcode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis