Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 04:00 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Where are these various articles?
Just posted them on the Seasonal Effect disorder on the main Indiana Forum with a link to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 04:08 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Ya way its estimated between 55-70k of those people are from Chicago theres no exact number cause obiviously you cant track 60,000 people moving But the 3 main reasons people from Chicago to Indy are A a better economy and stable job outlook and growth 2nd lower cost of living 3rd a balanced budget and stable low taxes.
We're talking about this here. What is the source for this?

Old 07-21-2011, 11:21 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,099,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I appreciate your enthusiasm, but there is zero chance this is true. You are suggesting that 37.5% of people who have moved to metro Indianapolis in the past decade are from Chicago? No way.
The Chicago Metro has not lost population- the trend has been to will county and other collar counties- that was at the last census. who knows where that stands right now

with the downward slide in the housing market and tight lending standards many people not able to sell their home many are stuck no matter what

In addition just yesterday in the NWI times Lake county real estate is showing a very large decline in home sales

Most people that have migrated out of Chicago proper have gone into the collar counties-

No one knows where numbers are currently at anyplace because the census figures are almost 2 years old now

Indianapolis is a great place and i look forward to visiting there in about two weeks for the war memorial

Indy is not chicago and chicago is not indy
so i wish this war of words on the sites would just come to an end between neighbors here plenty of nice things in both areas and enjoy both metros
be thankful not spiteful

Old 07-21-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
The Chicago Metro has not lost population- the trend has been to will county and other collar counties- that was at the last census. who knows where that stands right now

with the downward slide in the housing market and tight lending standards many people not able to sell their home many are stuck no matter what

In addition just yesterday in the NWI times Lake county real estate is showing a very large decline in home sales

Most people that have migrated out of Chicago proper have gone into the collar counties-

No one knows where numbers are currently at anyplace because the census figures are almost 2 years old now

Indianapolis is a great place and i look forward to visiting there in about two weeks for the war memorial

Indy is not chicago and chicago is not indy
so i wish this war of words on the sites would just come to an end between neighbors here plenty of nice things in both areas and enjoy both metros
be thankful not spiteful
so true but also dont forget people were tired of the same old Chicago politics running the state well before the economy went downhill. A bunch of my neighbors are from Chicago and they moved here in 2005 BEFORE the housing bubble burst

Old 07-21-2011, 11:47 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
so true but also dont forget people were tired of the same old Chicago politics running the state well before the economy went downhill. A bunch of my neighbors are from Chicago and they moved here in 2005 BEFORE the housing bubble burst
About a third of the cars on my block in Chicago have Indiana license plates.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:05 PM

631 posts, read 1,093,008 times
Indiana's also sitting on a $1.18 Billion surplus, and Indy is the Governor's baby, so the city will be in great shape for quite awhile.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:55 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,099,444 times
I live in the Metro of Chicago and do not know any person who moved into Indiana not one.

I know several who have moved from Michigan One from Schererville to Chicago because of the commute

I have known two people who moved south one to Atlanta and one to Jacksonville

One from Nebraska and

Most of these people are co-workers but i kid you not not one has moved to lake county or indy none

Most people I talk to kind of laugh at the polictics
No one is going to vote for quinn and the new mayor has announced several large additins to the loop like GE

Like I mentioned earlier I like the MIdwest and both metros can compliment eachother

Old 07-21-2011, 02:02 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,147,548 times
Man, I know a lot of people who have moved from Chicago to Indy and a few who crossed the border in NWI for the lower cost of living. If you work in the NW burbs then you probably would never see anyone move to NWI because the commute would be a b%54h to say the least.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:47 PM

85 posts, read 238,021 times
Default nice

Been in the midwest for 15 yrs. From East Coast. Moved to Lake County. Lived in Rogers Park, in Chicago. 3 yrs. Loved it. Commute made me come back to Lake Cty. I go to Hoosier National Forest, couple times in summer. 60 miles west of Indianapolis. I stop their. I really like Indianapolis. Probaly would never live their. Wouldnt be against it if cards were right. Its not bad. Every place has ? areas. You dont have to go to those areas. All and all Indianapolis is ok in my book. Been crusen their for couple of yrs now.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:02 PM

when you say crusen do you mean living there or vacationing alot? huge Difference in both. Indy has a great quality of life compared to many major midwest cities and hence why its the #1 city in the midwest for growth in the past 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis