Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2007, 01:52 PM

4 posts, read 10,006 times

Advertisements

I am a young professional with extensive experience in banking and corporate finance (treasury-related). My wife currently works in the wire room for a bank in Miami, but has more experience with administrative and assistant duties.

We live in Miami (close to downtown) and this place BLOWS! Too congested, noone speaks english, rude inconsiderate drivers, etc. We are desperate to leave within the next two years to somewhere quieter. My highest concern is jobs. Where can a treasury analyst and an administrative professional find work in IN? Is Indianapolis our only choice?

We don't mind commuting to a big city for work, but we need our commute to be around 10-30 minutes. Are there any quiet towns with affordable housing within proximity of Indianapolis or another metropolitan area with lots of jobs? Also, what are the salaries like? More/less/the same as Miami?

Any input is much appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 06:38 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,709,164 times
The banking situation in Indianapolis is really chaotic right now ... everyone is buying everyone. You may want to consider a little longer commute and live in NW Indiana and commute into Chicago. There's a Fed there as well as every major bank ... just a thought.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:48 AM

14 posts, read 53,354 times
indianapolis isn't too bad. there are some really nice housing areas on the outer areas of indy. driving here is pretty easy. i just warn you...there isn't much to do here. it's a farmer/industrial state. i love it here but i'm leaving to go to cali and try my wings there but you're more established than i am so it should work for you. if you like it quiet, relaxed, and good midwest hospitality....you'll love it...plus the cooking is good!

Kyle

Old 08-15-2007, 09:06 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,470,460 times
Most high income jobs are located in Indy. Have you considered working for the Federal government? The Defense Finance group (DFAS) (someone once said it was the second biggest Fed. Building after the Pentagon) is located here and therefore they are always hiring financial types. Fed. gov. benefits and work life is good. With our lower cost of living and the fact you could have a minimal commute and still be within the best school districts in the state, a lower income may even get you a higher standard of living.

There are a lot of other government jobs. See usajobs.com

Old 08-16-2007, 03:15 PM

22 posts, read 116,180 times
Indianapolis is one of the major insurance process areas in the us.
You may check into this
Sallie Mae is also located in Indianapolis, I am sure the pay will not be as high as in Fla but the COL will be much less.
You are still going to get the traffic headaches if you plan on living on the north side of indianapolis, say castleton to Carmel which is in Hamilton county.
There is a local bank in Indiana "Star Financial" which still headquarters in Indiana. The main office in Ft Wayne I think or up north, but they may offer you some consideration.
Most of the others are based out of state.
There are a few corps that you may want to consider. Try Simon investments. They own quite alot property and manage quite a large amount of funds.
I am not sure but you may check to see if Browning investments is still around.
Michael Browning is quite a nice person and may treat you well, but it has been a few years since I had dealings with them.
Good luck

Old 08-16-2007, 04:59 PM

27 posts, read 142,700 times
reading your profiles you people dont even live in Indy so how can you even tell anyone about it? I have lived here for 41 years. Indy has a lot to offer entertainment wise. Museums, speedway track, colts( superbowl champs) pacers, hockey , Home of NCAA, shopping galore, downtown Indy is alive and growing with festivals every other weekend. You people need to get a clue and come out of your cornfields. when were you last in Indy? 1964??? There are plenty of high end jobs in Indy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis