Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 04:21 PM

42 posts, read 167,698 times

Advertisements

I'm not a transplant but both my sister and her husband have masters in CS. They moved to indy from NC about 6 years ago and neither of them had any problems finding good paying jobs here. He has been with Lily for awhile now and makes quite the hefty pay day. The perks he gets there are unreal. My sister teaches at Depauw.

His only gripe is working with a bunch of statisticians. I guess they aren't the party crowd they're made out to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 04:36 PM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
If thats the case a short commute would be live near I-465 then take that to Indiana 37 i think (get it confused with 67 lol. However in a few years a new interstate will be built connecting Indianapolis to Evansville and that has a route right next to Bloomington. Mitch Daniels did a leasing of our northern Indiana Toll road for 75 years at nearly 4B dollars and the company that leased it is going towards bankruptcy. Heck our governor even said they paid to much and if they go bankrupt we get the toll road back before 75 years and all that money is used to improved our roads and bridges WITHOUT raising taxes Hence why we are the #1 state for road construction go figure
It is a rather well known fact that the Indy to Bloomington portion of the highway is not yet funded. To which I say...good.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:21 PM

12 posts, read 39,934 times
I'm originally from Germany and got married in the US to a service member and have moved around quite a bit. DH got out and got a job in Indy, which is why we ended up here. Honestly, it's not the worst and not the best place. We've only been here for about a year, so we are still learning the area. So far, I like it, but I don't love it, sadly.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:24 PM

3,405 posts, read 3,449,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luked View Post
Thanks Mike. Can you say where you moved from?
Michigan. Metro detroit then grand blanc. Short transfer to savannah ga, then indy(carmel)

Old 08-30-2011, 08:28 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandme View Post
I'm originally from Germany and got married in the US to a service member and have moved around quite a bit. DH got out and got a job in Indy, which is why we ended up here. Honestly, it's not the worst and not the best place. We've only been here for about a year, so we are still learning the area. So far, I like it, but I don't love it, sadly.
you sure? the German Autobah which i love allows you to basically race on it. Indy 500 too lol.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:45 PM

12 posts, read 39,934 times
Quote:
you sure? the German Autobah which i love allows you to basically race on it. Indy 500 too lol.
Lol... Yes, it's true that there are zones on the Autobahn that don't have a speeding limit, however, there are also lots that do While I do miss driving on it, I'm not into racing at all.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:55 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
Quote:
Get around any major German city on an autobahn and see how that works for you.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:07 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luked View Post
5) Based on a survey of private schools in Indianapolis (Indiana Private/Non-Public Schools) it seems relatively religious---we consider ourselves to be tolerant atheists and are quiet about it but feel awkward and uncomfortable around evangelicals.
Most of the private schools in Indy are Catholic. Hardly evangelical.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:39 AM

21 posts, read 47,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rastie View Post
I'm not a transplant but both my sister and her husband have masters in CS. They moved to indy from NC about 6 years ago and neither of them had any problems finding good paying jobs here.
Yeah, CS masters degrees are eminently marketable. I'm more concerned with finding an employer that values PhDs, not so much with getting a good paying job.

Quote:
He has been with Lily for awhile now and makes quite the hefty pay day. The perks he gets there are unreal. My sister teaches at Depauw.

His only gripe is working with a bunch of statisticians. I guess they aren't the party crowd they're made out to be.
Right. As opposed to those of us with CS graduate degrees.

Last edited by luked; 08-31-2011 at 06:39 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 08-31-2011, 06:41 AM

21 posts, read 47,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandme View Post
Do you see yourself staying for 15-20 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis