Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 08:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,076 times

Advertisements

I'm from Anderson, and have lived in Muncie as well.

I have to agree with the previous posters that you can definitely find somewhere better.

Anderson is a dying town. The biggest industry we had were our automotive plants, which have all shut down. There's the Nestle factory, but that's about it. Anderson is mostly just a place to eat at chain restaurants now.

That being said, they do have some good points and aren't completely horrible places to live.

The Paramount Theatre in Anderson is my absolute favorite place in the world, and has been since I was a young child. If you've never been to an atmospheric theatre, you should definitely go. It's truly a sight to be seen. Even now, when I can see the wear and tear on the place, it still takes my breath away. They have a lot of concerts, recitals, etc. there, and the Festival of Trees in December is always fun. We made ornaments for the trees when I was in elementary school.

Mounds State Park is really cool. It's full of ceremonial mounds made by the Adena-Hopewell. There's a pool, plenty of hiking trails, an interpretive center and a restored home built in the 1800s. Shadyside Park is really nice too, although it had quite the reputation when I was a kid. My friends and I used to go there and have picnics a lot, and walks around the lake are really nice, especially in the fall.

There's a big church presence in Anderson. It's the Church of God's world headquarters, and they have a convention there every year. The Colts have their training camp at AU too.

Also, the only Rax in Indiana is in Anderson. People get excited about that. Also, there's a Frisch's Big Boy. There aren't a lot of them left in Indiana. Frazier's Dairy Bar and Madewell's are both really great little places to get ice cream. My absolute FAVORITE place to eat is the Lemon Drop. It's this really tiny diner that used to be a drive-in, and the onionburger is AMAZING. Real Hacienda has great Mexican food, although I prefer the downtown location to the one on Scatterfield.

Muncie has a lot more going for it in terms of night life, because Ball State is a party school. There are a lot of good bars in Muncie. A few of my favorites are the Fickle Peach, MoTinis (a martini bar where all the martinis are pretty much five bucks...at least they were the last time I was there) and Savage's Ale House (they sell school pizza on the menu and have SUPER cheap PBR on tap, which I like when I've already been drinking).

Muncie has more shopping options than Anderson. The Village, an area just off Ball State's campus, is pretty small, but the MT cup coffee shop and Greek's Pizzeria are both great. For a nice meal, you can't beat Vera Mae's Bistro. I highly recommend the Chicken Brie Raspberry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 05:06 PM

32 posts, read 59,419 times
I have lived in Muncie for the first 18 years of my life. I could not wait to get out. I currently live in Florida and been here almost 10 years. I came back to Muncie in spring if 2010 to visit family/friends. I could not believe how run down that town has become. In my opinion I would stay away from both towns. There isn't a whole lot going on.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:25 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagdtaco View Post
I have lived in Muncie for the first 18 years of my life. I could not wait to get out. I currently live in Florida and been here almost 10 years. I came back to Muncie in spring if 2010 to visit family/friends. I could not believe how run down that town has become. In my opinion I would stay away from both towns. There isn't a whole lot going on.
Flordia's Not much better.
Hurricanes/Way to many Blacks/Hispanics not enough whites to make a good diverse area.
Also Crime/Gangs are extremely rampant. Casey Anthony Corruption Trials.
etc etc.
Also not to mention Amusing Elections like with Bush VS Gore.
Flordia sure made that interesting.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:41 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,646,465 times
I'm an Anderson native who lived in Florida for a while before job losses necessitated moving away. While Florida isn't everyone's idea of paradise (even I got sick of life in the Broward county area, too close to Miami), the cost of buying and renting property down there is WAY higher, because the public places much, MUCH higher demand on calling that state home versus calling Indiana home. Every state has it's pluses and minuses, blah blah blah yada yada, but ultimately in the end, living comes with higher price tags in sunny vacation states for very good reasons. But nevermind that, this thread isn't about Florida.

If I had family in Delaware I'd rather be out there, but that's because I spent several years up and down the east coast when I was in the Navy, and I have family in Virginia and New York. Calloway, take it from me and everyone else who's spent time in Anderson - don't bother. Muncie isn't much better.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
I'm an Anderson native who lived in Florida for a while before job losses necessitated moving away. While Florida isn't everyone's idea of paradise (even I got sick of life in the Broward county area, too close to Miami), the cost of buying and renting property down there is WAY higher, because the public places much, MUCH higher demand on calling that state home versus calling Indiana home. Every state has it's pluses and minuses, blah blah blah yada yada, but ultimately in the end, living comes with higher price tags in sunny vacation states for very good reasons. But nevermind that, this thread isn't about Florida.

If I had family in Delaware I'd rather be out there, but that's because I spent several years up and down the east coast when I was in the Navy, and I have family in Virginia and New York. Calloway, take it from me and everyone else who's spent time in Anderson - don't bother. Muncie isn't much better.
lol nice name i might have to start singing
I guess i could see more *Unique* Usernames :P

Old 10-25-2011, 05:20 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Flordia's Not much better.
Hurricanes/Way to many Blacks/Hispanics not enough whites to make a good diverse area.
Also Crime/Gangs are extremely rampant. Casey Anthony Corruption Trials.
etc etc.
Also not to mention Amusing Elections like with Bush VS Gore.
Flordia sure made that interesting.
Wow...just Wow...

Talk about taking the most sensational headlines from the news and the latest television shows, and basing an image of entire state on those things....Wow!

Exactly how many times have you been in Florida? Exactly which towns and cities have you visited? I've had the pleasure of visiting numerous areas of the state. It's as different from north to south and east to west as any state.

If Florida was not a diverse state, Bush vs. Gore would not have happened. The election would never have been close. Perhaps the problem is that it's not a "good" kind of diverse to use your words.

This post is offensive.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Wow...just Wow...

Talk about taking the most sensational headlines from the news and the latest television shows, and basing an image of entire state on those things....Wow!

Exactly how many times have you been in Florida? Exactly which towns and cities have you visited? I've had the pleasure of visiting numerous areas of the state. It's as different from north to south and east to west as any state.

If Florida was not a diverse state, Bush vs. Gore would not have happened. The election would never have been close. Perhaps the problem is that it's not a "good" kind of diverse to use your words.

This post is offensive.
in Reality Flordia wouldn't of had this issue if they brought in electronic voting before the election.
I would trust Electronic voting over *hand counting* anyday.
Also read today about a company expanding in Anderson so gratz

Old 10-25-2011, 01:31 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,274 times
Quote:
in Reality Flordia wouldn't of had this issue if they brought in electronic voting before the election.
I would trust Electronic voting over *hand counting* anyday.
Also read today about a company expanding in Anderson so gratz
Yeah you're probably right, and our country could've been a much better place with Gore as our president.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Yeah you're probably right, and our country could've been a much better place with Gore as our president.
Thats a scary thought with 9/11 though going through my mind
Knowing the Democrats stance on peace baby..
Still i never lost any family/friends on 9/11 but i feel the pain that those 3,000 families have to feel every day due to a husband/wife/child being gone.
God Bless America and the victims of 9/11 will never be forgotten.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:01 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Thats a scary thought with 9/11 though going through my mind
Knowing the Democrats stance on peace baby..
Funny thing is, Gore and many other Democrats are actual war veterans, as opposed to the chickenhawks on the right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis