Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 03:46 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times

Advertisements

Do you guys think Indy will host the Super Bowl again? Maybe 2017? 2020? etc.
Also Sunny the Indy 500 attracts near 400,000 people total. Estimated people for the Superbowl is 150,000-200,000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 03:52 PM

3,406 posts, read 3,450,301 times
Lions vs chargers. Remember you heard it here 1st

Old 09-08-2011, 05:28 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Do you guys think Indy will host the Super Bowl again?
Depends on how we do this year.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:30 AM

156 posts, read 434,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
It won't be so much the traffic as the parking downtown. I'm not sure what to predict. However, given that we handle it well for Colts games, and after seeing how things looked in Miami the day before Super Bowl XLI (I literally parked in the Wall Mart Supercenter lot across from Dolphin Stadium), I think it'll be OK.
Traffic won't be an issue. Most people will fly in for the Super Bowl, where nearly everyone is driving in for a normal Colts game.

Which teams would be the best for the city?

If you narrow it down to just teams who have a realistic chance there's just a handful would be the most beneficial to the city financially. The following criteria would work best:

1) We don't want fans from teams that are 6 hours or less by car. They will spend less money as many of them will drive in for the day and head back. They might stop somewhere half way to spend the night but you're not likely to see as much hotel & restaurant revenue from them. That eliminates the Steelers, Packers, and Bears.

2) We want as many tickets as possible going to people who live far away. If the New York Giants were to make it, you'd have a higher percentage of locals going just to see Eli Manning. On the other hand, having the New England Patriots would probably see the fewest number of locals buying tickets. The last thing a Colts fan wants to witness is Bill Belichick holding the Lombardi trophy at Lucas Oil Stadium.

3) Teams from markets with a high concentration of wealth would dramatically help the local businesses. I remember when Formula One was here and the restaurants loved it. I would always ask the waiters and they all had the same story. The F1 fans would eat at the high-end restaurants, while the NASCAR fans would eat at Cracker Barrel and Hardee's. I'm not trying to poke fun at NASCAR fans, just stating the facts. Every waiter I've ever asked has told me they made far more money when F1 was here than they ever did for a Brickyard race. More dollars are going to be spent in Indy if we get a team that has a substantial number of fans with money. I'm sure there are plenty of people in Baltimore or New Orleans with money, just fewer of them. Remember all the complaints in Miami from the businesses down there about Colts fans not spending much money during Super Bowl week? We don't want that happening here.

4) We need teams that travel well. That would eliminate the Atlanta Falcons and probably the San Diego Chargers.

Strictly looking at the best matchup for bringing in the most money into our city, I think it's:

New England Patriots vs. Philadelphia Eagles

Those two teams will bring in tons of fans, very few will drive, they will spend lots of money and fewer locals would buy tickets. Fewer tickets bought by the locals means more available to those fans in the New England and Philly areas, which means more hotel rooms, meals at restaurants, etc.

It'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:14 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Quote:
Also Sunny the Indy 500 attracts near 400,000 people total. Estimated people for the Superbowl is 150,000-200,000
Thanks , Figured the stat was higher than a super bowl then I was wondering if that is spread out over the course of the week.

I know they have practice and the people attend the events pretty much all week.

If I am not mistaken isnt the same place holding the Big 10 championship game.Although not the same ambiance it is still good for you guys.

Think of the SEC and Atlanta and Chick Fil- A.
When someone says Atlanta I automatically think of that statdium
Bottom line big win for the Indianapolis area.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:10 AM

261 posts, read 501,009 times
I think it's neat we are getting the Super Bowl. I really do. But it's freaking ridiculous that we are spending all of that money jacking up those downtown roads/sidewalks that were COMPLETELY FINE to begin with. There are roads all over this city which are in awful shape and truly need to be repaired, but the downtown ones were fine. Such a waste of money (not to mention a bit of a pain for drivers/walkers).

Old 09-09-2011, 05:27 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy18 View Post
I think it's neat we are getting the Super Bowl. I really do. But it's freaking ridiculous that we are spending all of that money jacking up those downtown roads/sidewalks that were COMPLETELY FINE to begin with. There are roads all over this city which are in awful shape and truly need to be repaired, but the downtown ones were fine. Such a waste of money (not to mention a bit of a pain for drivers/walkers).
I disagree that the downtown roads were completely fine, but, yes, more work has to be done in the neighborhoods. And it is being done, albeit at a slower pace.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:21 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserable Midwest View Post
1) We don't want fans from teams that are 6 hours or less by car. They will spend less money as many of them will drive in for the day and head back. They might stop somewhere half way to spend the night but you're not likely to see as much hotel & restaurant revenue from them. That eliminates the Steelers, Packers, and Bears.
Wrong. When the Steelers played in the Super Bowl in Detroit, the town was painted black and gold, all week long.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:34 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,078,282 times
Quote:
We only got the super bowl because at least one other cold weather city is trying to shake down their government for a new stadium. It was hinted at to the extreme that we would get a super bowl the first slot available. We all see how that went. The NFL realized that if they want cities in the snow belt to subsidized their business ventures in the future, they had best make good on their promises/hints of super bowls for building new stadiums. Blocking an Indy bid after the enormous output of tax money would have looked bad. One and done.

Quote:
It won't be so much the traffic as the parking downtown. I'm not sure what to predict. However, given that we handle it well for Colts games, and after seeing how things looked in Miami the day before Super Bowl XLI (I literally parked in the Wall Mart Supercenter lot across from Dolphin Stadium), I think it'll be OK.
Parking wouldn't be an issue. If they seriously thought it would be an issue, they would just get with IUPUI and use their numerous garages/lots and run a shuttle back and fourth to the downtown area. IUPUI is pretty much empty from Friday to Sunday.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:41 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Thanks , Figured the stat was higher than a super bowl then I was wondering if that is spread out over the course of the week.

I know they have practice and the people attend the events pretty much all week.

If I am not mistaken isnt the same place holding the Big 10 championship game.Although not the same ambiance it is still good for you guys.

Think of the SEC and Atlanta and Chick Fil- A.
When someone says Atlanta I automatically think of that statdium
Bottom line big win for the Indianapolis area.
Yes, Lucas Oil Stadium is hosting the B1G championship this year, and every year until 2015.

Quote:
I don't know what the plan is, but my friends who live due south of Lucas Oil Stadium in the Sacred Heart/Concord neighborhood have been told they will not be allowed to park on the street the week leading up to the Super Bowl. They are being forced to park in the alley to allow for "Super Bowl related" parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis