Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2012, 11:22 PM

5 posts, read 16,799 times

Advertisements

What's poppin'?

My employer is transferring me to Indy, and I made my first visit to the city last month. I'm hoping to buy a house in a stately old urban neighborhood. Based on some recommendations, I looked at the Old Northside, but I was less than impressed. It seemed past its prime, with plenty of decay, and I saw a few sketchy-looking people loitering on the streets. Anyway, I'm at the point in life where I don't want to live in "the hood."

ANy other recommendations for urban neighborhoods to check out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 11:56 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,412,772 times
For areas that are maybe more gentrified than the old northside but with similarly old housing stock, I'd suggest the following:

Meridian Kessler (along Meridian and parallel boulevards n of 38th)
St. Josephs (just south of Old Northside on other side of I-65
Lockerbie

Old 08-19-2012, 10:18 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,028,212 times
Did you look at Mass Ave? Probably the best neighborhood in the city for urban living.

For a more stately atmosphere, Butler-Tarkington is also a good choice (north of 43)

Old 08-19-2012, 03:56 PM

5 posts, read 16,799 times
Thanks for the recommendations.

So what happened to the Old Northside? I heard so many good things about it, but it looks like it's fallen far.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:23 PM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdithers View Post
Thanks for the recommendations.

So what happened to the Old Northside? I heard so many good things about it, but it looks like it's fallen far.
Where did you look, and what were you expecting to find? I would be curious to know the expectations and experience of someone who thinks the Old Northside has fallen hard.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:10 AM

583 posts, read 884,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdithers View Post
What's poppin'?

My employer is transferring me to Indy, and I made my first visit to the city last month. I'm hoping to buy a house in a stately old urban neighborhood. Based on some recommendations, I looked at the Old Northside, but I was less than impressed. It seemed past its prime, with plenty of decay, and I saw a few sketchy-looking people loitering on the streets. Anyway, I'm at the point in life where I don't want to live in "the hood."

ANy other recommendations for urban neighborhoods to check out?
Sure. Consider 1998 "old," and move to Carmel. Don't try to make Indy something it isn't. The grown-up thing to do in places like Indy is to find yourself a nice place in the 'burbs and live a comfortable lifestyle.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:35 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,605,430 times
You'll definitely like Meridian Kessler. Next time you're in town looking at houses, go up to 38th and head north on Pennsylvania. After driving about a mile or two, you'll be in the center of one of the nicest urban neighborhoods in the Midwest. It basically spans the area between Meridian, 40th, College, and Kessler. Also, do yourself a favor and get an omelet at Cafe Patachou.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:19 AM

53 posts, read 134,170 times
Another vote for Meridian Kessler or Butler Tarkington here. Tons of variety in homes, from 2br bungalows in the mid $100's to $1M+ estates. Beautiful scenery, plenty to do within walking/short riding distances, and a really good k-8 school in the Center for Inquiry at 57th & Central. You're still likely looking at private school for high school unless you can wrap some knuckles and get your child into North Central, but there are plenty of options around for that too.

My wife and I bought our first home near 56th and College a little more than two years ago and plan our raising a family here. I know what a few co-workers go through with their commutes downtown from Carmel/Fishers and I'm content to avoid spending 2 hours every day in the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis