Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2011, 04:08 PM

3 posts, read 4,322 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My partner, my dog and I are relocating to Indianapolis at the end of this year (late December, early Jan). I'm going to be attending IUPUI and we're looking for places that are sort of close to the campus but not expensive. The max rent we can pay would be $600/month. I've heard of the south side being sketchy and the north side being the place to be. kind of like Chicago!

We're not really opposed to any area. As long as we're not getting mugged or are victims of a hate crime(we're lesbians) it's fine with us.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 04:13 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigodissC View Post
Hi everyone,

My partner, my dog and I are relocating to Indianapolis at the end of this year (late December, early Jan). I'm going to be attending IUPUI and we're looking for places that are sort of close to the campus but not expensive. The max rent we can pay would be $600/month. I've heard of the south side being sketchy and the north side being the place to be. kind of like Chicago!

We're not really opposed to any area. As long as we're not getting mugged or are victims of a hate crime(we're lesbians) it's fine with us.

Any suggestions?
If your going to IUPUI i would look around the Downtown area. Since Indianapolis has the most affordable housing market in America+low cost of liviong 600$ actually goes a long way in our city without sacrificing quality.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:34 PM

Downtown was really nice. I've been to Indy once this year but it was sort of passing through and late. Do you know any apartment complexes specifically that would be worth checking out? Thanks!

Old 09-13-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Downtown was really nice. I've been to Indy once this year but it was sort of passing through and late. Do you know any apartment complexes specifically that would be worth checking out? Thanks!
No sorry however you could check Rent.com etc. and see which ones are nice then ask which ones are in a safe area.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:51 PM

Thank you for your help.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your help.
np remember though google will be your friend lol.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:54 AM

218 posts, read 462,719 times
I wouldn't call the south side sketchy---definitely not similar to the southside of Chicago. The southside of Indy isn't happenin' by any means, and there is a North/South divide (like Chicago) but it's not a hotbed of crime the way southside Chicago is. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the southside of Indy has the lowest rates of crime among the four sides. The eastside probably has the highest rate, though it still has some cool neighborhoods. But yes, the northside is the most hoppin' side of town, where the professional class tends to congregate.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:16 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandandjules View Post
I wouldn't call the south side sketchy---definitely not similar to the southside of Chicago. The southside of Indy isn't happenin' by any means, and there is a North/South divide (like Chicago) but it's not a hotbed of crime the way southside Chicago is. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the southside of Indy has the lowest rates of crime among the four sides. The eastside probably has the highest rate, though it still has some cool neighborhoods. But yes, the northside is the most hoppin' side of town, where the professional class tends to congregate.
Correct, IMPD east district is the highest crime district in the city. The south side tends to have less crime than the other 4 sides. Looking at neighborhoodscout.com, safest neighborhoods are 1. Meridian Hills (North), followed by 2. Acton (South), 3. Perry Manor (South), 4. Wanamaker (South), 5. County Line & SR 135 (South), 6. US 31/Pennsylvania (South of Downtown) 7. Traders Point (NW), 8. Shore Acres (North), 9. Warren Hills (East) and 10. 86th and Spring Mill (North). This doesn't include Southport, Beech Grove, Lawrence or Speedway; only the city limits. You can verify the numbers by going to IMPDs Web site, they have a neat little map with all reported crimes.

As far as the north side being the hoppin part of town, well....that's up for debate. Lived in several areas of the north side and never cared for it. Personally, Downtown is the best area. Everything the north side has, the south side has except the houses are cheaper and you normally get more land. The south side has a lot of working professionals (don't know why northsiders always think it doesn't) just like the north side has a lot of blue collar residents although they act like they don't.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:37 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Any suggestions?
It has been at least 2 years since we had large anti-gay fire mobs roaming the streets and performing bed checks. You might want to keep some pepper and feathered boas in your house just in case.

The divide between Indy's north and south sides is nothing at all like what you will find in Chicago. But, if you have read this thread, you know that already.

1201 Indiana Ave just opened, it is geared toward IUPUI students. There have been a few apartment complexes opening up near IUPUI and geared toward IUPUI students (I think), you might look some of those up. IUPUI might have a listing of nearby apartments geared toward students.

You can probably rent a house for under $600 a month in Fountain Square. I used to live in that neighborhood, loved it. You may also find something south of Broad Ripple, say closer to 52nd and College moving south and east from there.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:15 PM

682 posts, read 1,629,534 times
You might look at Holy Cross and Woodruff (just east of the downtown) You can probably find a carriage house apartments or a half double if you look hard. Both areas have substancial Gay populations.

FYI: Indy has a much larger gay population than most people realize. The gay pride event and parade this year attracted 50,000 people. Most gay couple have no problems living in the downtown area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis