Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 09:43 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
I went through something similar. Went to HS in Indy, then away for college, and to Chicago after school. Moving back was always in the back of my mind, but I wasn't wild about the idea for the same reason you mention now. My problem was probably a bit worse as I hadn't been there in ages and only kept in close contact with my 4 or 5 very close friends from HS, only 2 of which stayed in Indy...both married, one with kids.

In the end, I opted to stay in Chicago, but I think it would have been entirely workable to move back. In the end, it comes down to what you make of the situation and how much work you're willing to put in to re-establish a social circle. You obviously wouldn't have the number of opportunities to meet people as you would in a place like Chicago. There's just a higher concentraion of transplants and street life that practically requires that you meet people, like it or not. Indy is more spread out without as much daily human contact (home to car to work, work to car to home). That just means you need to try harder and make more of a concerted effort to do find your niche. It doesn't mean it won't happen.

Ya, I agree. The thing is, is that the close contact in Chicago is good and bad. Bad in that it just wears on me after a while and I can't imagine even raising a family the the Chicago suburbs. Just because it's so far from my family, still congested, not much bang for your buck in homes, taxes, corruption, etc. It's just that if I stay here and do find a girl, chances are she will be from the suburbs or Michigan and won't want to move to Indiana and I'll be stuck. But living here makes me realized food in Indy sucks and I would miss so much of it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 09:47 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
But living here makes me realized food in Indy sucks and I would miss so much of it here.
Oh man, I know what you mean! It took awhile to get used to, but food isn't the only reason to stay somewhere. There are good places to eat, but you reallly need to search them out.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:25 PM

218 posts, read 462,719 times
Indy probably isn't the easiest place in the world for someone in your position--I remember it never rated highly as a "city for singles", primarily because it's such a good city for families. But as long as you stay in the older parts of central Indy with the DINKs (dual income no kids) or young unmarrieds, I think you'd have much of the same vibe you get in Chicago, only at a much much smaller scale. You probably know the neighborhoods far better than I do.

And the food scene in Indy, while not great, is certainly moving in the right direction in LEAPS and BOUNDS since I first started visiting here regularly (before moving here). It seems to me that a young professional population WITHOUT KIDS is partly what drives good restaurant scenes--they have a lot more disposable income than they would if they weren't professional, or if they had kids. And young families with kids need to find family friendly restaurants, which all too often are the big chains. Trendy places like Black Market, Mesh, and the new Libertine don't exactly cater to the rugrats, who often would be just as happy eating their own boogers--or other people's, for that matter.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:01 PM

121 posts, read 133,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Oh man, I know what you mean! It took awhile to get used to, but food isn't the only reason to stay somewhere. There are good places to eat, but you reallly need to search them out.
Just moved away from Indy a few months ago to KC. I lived there from 2006 until then and let I will just say that if you haven't paid attention to how the food scene has developed in Indy in just the last 1-2 years then your opinion is completely out of date. Leaps and bounds doesn't even describe it.

To answer the OP's question...I am from Columbus, lived in Indy for 5 years and am now in KC. Would I move back to Indy based on my experience there? In a heartbeat. Indy beats both my hometown and my new town hands down IMHO.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandandjules View Post
Indy probably isn't the easiest place in the world for someone in your position--I remember it never rated highly as a "city for singles", primarily because it's such a good city for families. But as long as you stay in the older parts of central Indy with the DINKs (dual income no kids) or young unmarrieds, I think you'd have much of the same vibe you get in Chicago, only at a much much smaller scale. You probably know the neighborhoods far better than I do.

And the food scene in Indy, while not great, is certainly moving in the right direction in LEAPS and BOUNDS since I first started visiting here regularly (before moving here). It seems to me that a young professional population WITHOUT KIDS is partly what drives good restaurant scenes--they have a lot more disposable income than they would if they weren't professional, or if they had kids. And young families with kids need to find family friendly restaurants, which all too often are the big chains. Trendy places like Black Market, Mesh, and the new Libertine don't exactly cater to the rugrats, who often would be just as happy eating their own boogers--or other people's, for that matter.
This post pretty much nails it. I came back last month for a long weekend to visit some friends and I was STUNNED to see how many high quality new restaurants, breweries and food trucks had opened up since march of this year. Six months apparently makes a world of difference in Indy these days.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:23 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmanuelGoldstein View Post
This post pretty much nails it. I came back last month for a long weekend to visit some friends and I was STUNNED to see how many high quality new restaurants, breweries and food trucks had opened up since march of this year. Six months apparently makes a world of difference in Indy these days.
Just an amusing question. Are you broadcasting out of Hitlers Former Bunker
Lol don't we all wish we could have bunkers. Maybe Stewie Griffin is in a bunker finalizing his plan for WORLD DOMINATION!

Old 09-29-2011, 02:54 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,588 times
Very interesting how some of you say the restaurant scene has changed in Indy the past few years. It's good to hear. I'll be excited to see it.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Just an amusing question. Are you broadcasting out of Hitlers Former Bunker
Lol don't we all wish we could have bunkers. Maybe Stewie Griffin is in a bunker finalizing his plan for WORLD DOMINATION!
Haha, unless the basement of my townhouse is Hitler's former bunker, which I doubt!

Old 09-30-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Very interesting how some of you say the restaurant scene has changed in Indy the past few years. It's good to hear. I'll be excited to see it.
Yes, it has changed a lot. It is not the chain town it used to be when I first moved here. Yeah, there are still lots of chains in the burbs but then again every city has chains in the burbs, even the uber hip cities like Portland, Austin and SF.

And the food trucks...there was maybe one or two when I left and now there have to be at least 25-30 of them, all starting in the last six months.

Breweries are a big deal now there too. Indy is really punching above it's weight in the craft beer scene for a city of it's size and is nearly in a class of it's own compared to it's midwestern peer cities.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:57 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmanuelGoldstein View Post
Yes, it has changed a lot. It is not the chain town it used to be when I first moved here. Yeah, there are still lots of chains in the burbs but then again every city has chains in the burbs, even the uber hip cities like Portland, Austin and SF.

And the food trucks...there was maybe one or two when I left and now there have to be at least 25-30 of them, all starting in the last six months.

Breweries are a big deal now there too. Indy is really punching above it's weight in the craft beer scene for a city of it's size and is nearly in a class of it's own compared to it's midwestern peer cities.
I LOVE the food trucks! They are all so good. I've never had a bad experience at one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis