Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 08:46 AM
REM

368 posts, read 995,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Why did IPS have to go around and make sure kids came to school on the first day etc.?
Schools raising kids. Never seems to stop
Sometimes that's what needs to happen, some parents don't care about their children education and as wrong as it is it happens. Please tell me how taking the school out of the situation and leaving it up to just the parents(while know full well that they don't care) make the problem better? Oh wait, it doesn't.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:55 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
Quote:
Depends on the situation. I laugh at people in poverty because of laziness. Its one thing to have a low paying job and live in poverty Which is fine it happens. Its another thing to sit on your @ss and be lazy and in poverty and be surprised and shocked..........
so now poverty is fine?

keep digging young person.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:06 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
so now poverty is fine?

keep digging young person.
No. Poverty is not fine but theres 2 situations that could have you end up in poverty.
What i mean is if your in poverty cause your lazy and don't want to get a job etc. then you deserve to be in poverty.
If your hard working and have kids to feed etc and your in poverty if i were Bill Gates i would help you.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:51 PM

225 posts, read 755,439 times
Quote:
No. Poverty is not fine but theres 2 situations that could have you end up in poverty.
What i mean is if your in poverty cause your lazy and don't want to get a job etc. then you deserve to be in poverty.
If your hard working and have kids to feed etc and your in poverty if i were Bill Gates i would help you.
While it is indeed true that some people are just lazy, most people who are in poverty are not there by choice; they are there because their jobs have been eliminated by Corporate America, which is looking to outsource their jobs to China or India. Corporate America, being the fine upstanding "person" that it is (at least according to our United States Supreme Court), does not care one iota about the middle class or the underclass. BroadRippleGuy seems to presume that most, if not all, people in poverty are there because they want to be.

One has to wonder: would BroadRippleGuy be as against welfare for the corporations that our Supreme Court calls "persons" as he seems to be against welfare for those people who genuinely need it?

Old 10-14-2011, 04:59 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brssplr View Post
While it is indeed true that some people are just lazy, most people who are in poverty are not there by choice; they are there because their jobs have been eliminated by Corporate America, which is looking to outsource their jobs to China or India. Corporate America, being the fine upstanding "person" that it is (at least according to our United States Supreme Court), does not care one iota about the middle class or the underclass. BroadRippleGuy seems to presume that most, if not all, people in poverty are there because they want to be.

One has to wonder: would BroadRippleGuy be as against welfare for the corporations that our Supreme Court calls "persons" as he seems to be against welfare for those people who genuinely need it?
Depends if corporations are going to employ people or just give it to their CEOS.
Like we saw with the Obama Bailouts AIG and other banks just gave their CEOS pay raises at the taxpayers expense........ And Somehow the Democrats want to support the OWS protest lol. Hypocrites but that will be fixed in 2012.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:55 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Depends if corporations are going to employ people or just give it to their CEOS.
Like we saw with the Obama Bailouts AIG and other banks just gave their CEOS pay raises at the taxpayers expense........ And Somehow the Democrats want to support the OWS protest lol. Hypocrites but that will be fixed in 2012.
How is that different from Republicans giving corporations tax breaks to encourage hiring US employees, but those corporations choose to let the fat cat CEOs keep that extra coin while sending jobs to Mexico?

Old 10-14-2011, 07:02 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,534,599 times
Quote:
While it is indeed true that some people are just lazy, most people who are in poverty are not there by choice; they are there because their jobs have been eliminated by Corporate America, which is looking to outsource their jobs to China or India.
Wrong. Poverty generally spans generations within the same family. So, it's not that they're lazy or have been laid off from their corporate job, it's because they carry on with the same behaviors that kept their ancestors in poverty.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:17 PM

225 posts, read 755,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Wrong. Poverty generally spans generations within the same family. So, it's not that they're lazy or have been laid off from their corporate job, it's because they carry on with the same behaviors that kept their ancestors in poverty.
You sound as if you've been listening to a certain "news" channel that likes to call itself "fair and balanced," but in reality is nothing of the sort. What actual evidence do you have to document your beliefs? Documentation, please.

Most people who are in poverty are of one minority group or another. Most of these people are not there by choice; if they're there, it is because they do not know of any other way to live.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:00 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,605,926 times
Quote:
You sound as if you've been listening to a certain "news" channel that likes to call itself "fair and balanced," but in reality is nothing of the sort. What actual evidence do you have to document your beliefs? Documentation, please.

Most people who are in poverty are of one minority group or another. Most of these people are not there by choice; if they're there, it is because they do not know of any other way to live.
He is actually right, take a sociology course. I also don't understand how anything he said has to do with Fox News.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:01 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,077,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
From my perspective, on the stadium tax, those that use the facility the most should be taxed. If you polled the crowd at a Colts game, I would bet that less than 50% of those folks live in Marion County. In effect, you are asking Marion County to pay for something that is used primarily by people who live in HamCo or Greenwood, etc. How is that any different than your opposition to Hancock County getting the shaft on mass transit?
It isn't any different. I'm all for user fees/taxes to be the #1 revenue stream. The fact remains that pro-sport ticket prices are so high already (except maybe the really, really high up seats) that a true add-on tax would likely turn a $100 ticket into a $1,000 ticket (maybe even more?). The same would hold true for a rail line system (at least the dedicated, few stops type rail), the actual cost to the rider would be astronomical, thus the need to steal from others who will never, ever benefit.

Quote:
While it is indeed true that some people are just lazy, most people who are in poverty are not there by choice; they are there because their jobs have been eliminated by Corporate America, which is looking to outsource their jobs to China or India.
Some of this is due to the current state of the US. I have to wonder about the affirmative action and similar laws in China and India. Do they have to worry about walking on egg shells to make sure they don't get accused, rightly or wrongly, of sexism, racism, etc.?

Look at some of these 2009 payouts by companies. These are companies who have been accused of wrongdoing in some fashion and someone filed a complaint with the Indiana Civil Rights Commission. This commission is a state agency, they don't have to make a buck, they have a decent sized war chest. A company on the other hand has limited funds. They can't raise taxes, they can't print their own currency. They also have to deal with public relations. If you look at some of the payouts, we are talking a few grand here and there. Tells me that some of these companies may be in the right, but they are settling. Why do they settle? It is cheaper than fighting it in court and winning. So what if you get a judgement against the plaintiff, if they don't have a job, how are you going to collect? It isn't always the wages that are killing our jobs, its the mentality of a huge % of our population.

http://praiseindy.com/files/2009/11/ICRC-Cause-Findings-and-Settlements-20095.pdf (broken link)

I can't understand why anyone in this country would own or start a business. You are liable for all the business loans, yet various government agencies can adopt rules and regulations that can make your life a living nightmare. I know a person who ran a food joint. The government raised the minimum wage and he is out at least $10K. Plans to hire someone to manage that store (likely a $50Kish/year job) are gone. It no longer makes sense to try and go into sales, with a small side business managed by someone. So the government killed a $50K/year job and additional tax income from a newly created sales company, all so high school kids could make an extra $1 or so an hour.

And folks wonder why companies are on the fast track out of the US of A?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis