Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2011, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 10,820 times

Advertisements

As for job reason, we may have to just move to Indianapolis from New Jersey. I have learnt a bit from this site, the area seems just a very flat piece of land and much different from where we are at, but I still hope to see some excitment there and looking forward to meeting some new friends.

I am also looking for good school prek/k as we have a 4years old daughter. My husband and I are very much just water person, we both love beaches, seafood, and as a matter of fact, relocating to Indianapolis could be a big change of everything for everyone. But again I guess just have to learn to deal with it.

We ll be starting with renting a small house/condo, prefer a nice, very low crime and family friendly area. I know so far only a little about Carmel as thats where the office (zip code 46260 ) is about. I would appreciate any thoughts for us in regard to finding a "home" there and school etc....

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 02:20 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judy732 View Post
As for job reason, we may have to just move to Indianapolis from New Jersey. I have learnt a bit from this site, the area seems just a very flat piece of land and much different from where we are at, but I still hope to see some excitment there and looking forward to meeting some new friends.

I am also looking for good school prek/k as we have a 4years old daughter. My husband and I are very much just water person, we both love beaches, seafood, and as a matter of fact, relocating to Indianapolis could be a big change of everything for everyone. But again I guess just have to learn to deal with it.

We ll be starting with renting a small house/condo, prefer a nice, very low crime and family friendly area. I know so far only a little about Carmel as thats where the office (zip code 46260 ) is about. I would appreciate any thoughts for us in regard to finding a "home" there and school etc....

Thank you.
Well you have some choices on education.
You can live in the IPS District (Which people will tell you is the WORST school district in Indianapolis cause obiviously just like Chicago or Detroit the Direct city public schools suck although Indianapolis Public Schools not as bad.
However since Mitch Daniels passed a new Private School Voucher Program you can live actually anywhere you want and get into a good private school without the government controling and sticking their nose into everything
Also i would recommend dropping the Attitude of Indianapolis is a flat Boring Place. You don't need Mountains or a Tsunami Risk Ocean to be a great city. Youll find that out this Memorial Day just like the past 100 years.
Also another thing i recommend is have an open mind and personality etc.
Coming from New Jersey you may be liberal or not idk Chris Cristie is a good Republican Governor i have read up on.
Indianapolis is considered a conservative/Moderate city. Politically speaking that actually has given us a better advantage cause unlike most of the country our state and cities budgets are balanced so we have a AAA credit rating from ALL THREE credit agencies.
Tell me if your Credit Score goes up a few points just for moving here
Also Welcome to Indianapolis! The Racing Capital of the World and the Crossroads of America!

Old 10-12-2011, 07:51 AM

2 posts, read 10,820 times
Thanks Broadrippleguy. Appreciate your response. Actually did some reading of Indy last night, it doesnt sound that bad to me at all from other posts/comments. A growing midwest city sounds quite exciting to me.

I was born in a musician family. I love arts, gallery, orchestra and opera. Music has become part of my life and I feel just cant miss it. It s been always one of my top lists wherever I moved to. And I think i would love it a lot of art fest here too. We are a mixed couple (Asian/Caucasian) actually just moved back to NJ last summer after a 3years overseas contracts based in Shanghai working in Asia and my husband travelled intensively. He is very social likable guy so I dont worry him much about moving to Indy. But one thing I do concern a bit is, although his career had been taking him all over the world, he seemed just got lucky able to choose and live wherever he likes coastal cities/suburban. This time, it is a bit exceptional. At least he wont be seeing the ocean as much as he wants to.

My daughter has been going to Private school here in NJ for Pr-K program and she is ready for Public Kindergarten next Sept. As a mother like many others, school has been a big concern for me cuz we like other parents, want to be sure that kid can get the best education while enjoying her childhood. She has a lot of friends now in school, changing school would be another adjustment for her but again she s very social kid been travelling with us all the time so we dont think it will be a big problem for her.

I am looking at Carmel, Zionville and Westfield, seem quite family friendly area for raising a kid. Also, would love to know local farmer market, asian food store and restaurants (Chinese, Japanese etc...) and again, looking forwards to learning a bit more and making new friends when we settle down.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Well you have some choices on education.
You can live in the IPS District (Which people will tell you is the WORST school district in Indianapolis cause obiviously just like Chicago or Detroit the Direct city public schools suck although Indianapolis Public Schools not as bad.
However since Mitch Daniels passed a new Private School Voucher Program you can live actually anywhere you want and get into a good private school without the government controling and sticking their nose into everything
Also i would recommend dropping the Attitude of Indianapolis is a flat Boring Place. You don't need Mountains or a Tsunami Risk Ocean to be a great city. Youll find that out this Memorial Day just like the past 100 years.
Also another thing i recommend is have an open mind and personality etc.
Coming from New Jersey you may be liberal or not idk Chris Cristie is a good Republican Governor i have read up on.
Indianapolis is considered a conservative/Moderate city. Politically speaking that actually has given us a better advantage cause unlike most of the country our state and cities budgets are balanced so we have a AAA credit rating from ALL THREE credit agencies.
Tell me if your Credit Score goes up a few points just for moving here
Also Welcome to Indianapolis! The Racing Capital of the World and the Crossroads of America!

Old 10-12-2011, 09:02 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times
Also since Indianapolis is the Crossroads of America traveling by car amongst the interstates is easy plus we have an International Airport.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:56 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,149,395 times
Quote:
Thanks Broadrippleguy. Appreciate your response. Actually did some reading of Indy last night, it doesnt sound that bad to me at all from other posts/comments. A growing midwest city sounds quite exciting to me.

I was born in a musician family. I love arts, gallery, orchestra and opera. Music has become part of my life and I feel just cant miss it. It s been always one of my top lists wherever I moved to. And I think i would love it a lot of art fest here too. We are a mixed couple (Asian/Caucasian) actually just moved back to NJ last summer after a 3years overseas contracts based in Shanghai working in Asia and my husband travelled intensively. He is very social likable guy so I dont worry him much about moving to Indy. But one thing I do concern a bit is, although his career had been taking him all over the world, he seemed just got lucky able to choose and live wherever he likes coastal cities/suburban. This time, it is a bit exceptional. At least he wont be seeing the ocean as much as he wants to.

My daughter has been going to Private school here in NJ for Pr-K program and she is ready for Public Kindergarten next Sept. As a mother like many others, school has been a big concern for me cuz we like other parents, want to be sure that kid can get the best education while enjoying her childhood. She has a lot of friends now in school, changing school would be another adjustment for her but again she s very social kid been travelling with us all the time so we dont think it will be a big problem for her.

I am looking at Carmel, Zionville and Westfield, seem quite family friendly area for raising a kid. Also, would love to know local farmer market, asian food store and restaurants (Chinese, Japanese etc...) and again, looking forwards to learning a bit more and making new friends when we settle down.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
Saraga, Brothers Oriental and Asia Mart are the three I know about, don't know if all of them r still open but there are other Asian/International markets in the area. As far as restaurants, I'm not a fan of PF Chang so I would never recommend them but for where you are looking there is the Asian Grill in Noblesville, Sakuras (Japanese) on North Keystone, Ginza Japanese steak house but all the way down on 38th st so would be a trek for you if you r looking at Westfield, Shanhai Lil on 86th St (closer to your liking). There are several asian restaurants (not buffet's) and hopefully you would like one of them.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:30 AM

3,405 posts, read 3,449,324 times
Carmel and indy are plenty arty. Carmels downtown is called the arts district. I agree you are looking in the right area with carmel, zionsville, westfield, noblesville, fishers area. My kids go to carmel schools. Tops in state and it seems the top minority is asian kids.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:32 AM

3,405 posts, read 3,449,324 times
Carmel has a huge farmers market. Right next to the palladeium

Old 10-14-2011, 12:50 PM

121 posts, read 133,017 times
Quote:

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
If your office is close to Carmel, chose Carmel. They have a very lively arts district with lots of galleries and restaurants, a brand new concert hall called the Palladium for musical performances that are right up your alley and two smaller theaters for plays and other events as well. Top notch public schools, infrastructure and roads unlike anywhere else in the state and a wide variety of housing styles to chose from. They also have a huge farmers market (60+ vendors I believe) and lots of awesome festivals. Excellent park and trail system as well, best in the state.

I just recently moved to KC from the Indy area and if I decide to work there again I would chose Carmel in a heartbeat without even considering the alternatives. In KC folks like to think that JoCo (Johnson County, Kansas) is this really wealthy, progressive suburban place but even though there might be as much wealth in JoCo as there is in Carmel and Hamilton County none of the cities here even come close to comparing to Carmel.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis