Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 11:42 AM

105 posts, read 145,533 times

Advertisements

Domergirl was my inspiration for this post (Thank you, Domergirl!)

Indy is a nice city. I am not going to visit until August, but I hear NOTHING but good things from all sorts of people, whether they are from here, live near here, or visited here. So why in the world does Indy get hated on so much? Maybe I am missing something, so everyone is welcome to enlighten me. Side note: Regardless of the negative aspects that may get posted about Indy, if I get a job offer here, I am still moving here .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 11:57 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,865,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBound75 View Post
Domergirl was my inspiration for this post (Thank you, Domergirl!)

Indy is a nice city. I am not going to visit until August, but I hear NOTHING but good things from all sorts of people, whether they are from here, live near here, or visited here. So why in the world does Indy get hated on so much? Maybe I am missing something, so everyone is welcome to enlighten me. Side note: Regardless of the negative aspects that may get posted about Indy, if I get a job offer here, I am still moving here .

Nice is, well.......nice.

Nice is good. Nice is not exciting, beautiful, edgy, trendsetting or breathtaking.

It's just nice.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:06 PM

8,985 posts, read 17,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBound75 View Post
So why in the world does Indy get hated on so much?
If you scan the sub-forums for each city on city data, you are going to find people who hate that place. It's part of life. I think the hatred toward Indianapolis is overstated on this forum; much like the hatred directed toward Chicago, Houston, Atlanta, Des Moines, Omaha, Jacksonville, and every other city.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
If you scan the sub-forums for each city on city data, you are going to find people who hate that place. It's part of life. I think the hatred toward Indianapolis is overstated on this forum; much like the hatred directed toward Chicago, Houston, Atlanta, Des Moines, Omaha, Jacksonville, and every other city.
Toxic, you raise a valid point. People drinking haterade on Indy may have nothing better to do, have some sort of complex, whatever. You never know.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:10 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,756,420 times
The only people that get upset at Indy being called "nice" are people in Indy who seem to think that's an insult.

At my wedding reception, my old grad school roommate brought her "flavor of the day", who was a lawyer in Indianapolis (we were in Chicago at the time). I was making the rounds at the guest tables, and I chatted him and my old roommate up and I made the mistake of saying that Indianapolis is a nice city. He went off ... "oh you Chicago people, you think that Chicago is the center of the world" ... I meant nothing by it! Needless to say, he was chucked soon after ... my old roommate was from New York City.

Indianapolis is nice. It's by no means the center of anything except maybe auto racing and a major sports town. It's a nice place to raise a family. You can live well on a modest salary and still have money in the bank at the end of the day.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:40 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,275,625 times
My wife and I met here. She moved to Indianapolis in 2002 from New Jersey (after getting her bachelors at the University of Evansville). And she stayed in Indy because it had a lot of big city amenities without really feeling like a big city. I'd always loved Indianapolis having grown up in northern Indiana because Indy was the big city. I was like her, in that Indianapolis had big city amenities but didn't really feel like you were in a big city. I moved here in 2007 following my parents who followed my sister who remained here after graduating from Butler.

I agree with domergurl that the only time Indy being called nice becomes a problem is because some people seem to think it's an insult. I grew up closer to Chicago and could have just as easily have moved there. But it's not a good fit for me. I love visiting Chicago but I'm always just as happy to get back to the slower pace of life here in Indianapolis. Nothing wrong with that. Some people love the hectic, always-on-the-go lifestyle of bigger cities like Chicago or New York and they think Indianapolis is boring because it is slower paced. I would not survive that lifestyle and prefer the more laid-back life that Indianapolis provides.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
My wife and I met here. She moved to Indianapolis in 2002 from New Jersey (after getting her bachelors at the University of Evansville). And she stayed in Indy because it had a lot of big city amenities without really feeling like a big city. I'd always loved Indianapolis having grown up in northern Indiana because Indy was the big city. I was like her, in that Indianapolis had big city amenities but didn't really feel like you were in a big city. I moved here in 2007 following my parents who followed my sister who remained here after graduating from Butler.

I agree with domergurl that the only time Indy being called nice becomes a problem is because some people seem to think it's an insult. I grew up closer to Chicago and could have just as easily have moved there. But it's not a good fit for me. I love visiting Chicago but I'm always just as happy to get back to the slower pace of life here in Indianapolis. Nothing wrong with that. Some people love the hectic, always-on-the-go lifestyle of bigger cities like Chicago or New York and they think Indianapolis is boring because it is slower paced. I would not survive that lifestyle and prefer the more laid-back life that Indianapolis provides.
I agree with pretty much everything you said. I am a country girl at heart (grew up in the boonies of South Carolina) but the urban vibe is more my speed. Although I LOVE visiting Chicago and someday, New York, I feel those places would be too overwhelming for me to live. Indy, from what it sounds like, is a city that doesn't really feel like a city, and for me, that's perfect.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:21 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,155,687 times
A place is as bad or as magical as you make it. If u want nice you'll get it. If you want crap you'll get that too. People usually on cd tend to put down certain places in irder to boost their own. People just get like that. It gets funny actually to hear em chirp. The other crowd have their idea of what a "real" city is and if you don't fit that then you live in a fake city. Again, people to chuckle at.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:40 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,520,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
A place is as bad or as magical as you make it. If u want nice you'll get it. If you want crap you'll get that too. People usually on cd tend to put down certain places in irder to boost their own. People just get like that. It gets funny actually to hear em chirp. The other crowd have their idea of what a "real" city is and if you don't fit that then you live in a fake city. Again, people to chuckle at.
couldnt of said it better myself.

Also i should mention that my thread thats stickied at the top is more than just *nice* its incredible the Urban Transformation Indianapolis has gone through. check out the year 1956 and 1962 then jump forward to 2011.

Last edited by Broadrippleguy; 02-08-2013 at 08:08 AM..

Old 02-08-2013, 04:30 PM

218 posts, read 463,239 times
From the 1980s to 2011, Indianapolis underwent an urban transformation, from a downtown where you couldn't buy a sandwich after 6pm.......to a downtown that is nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis