Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2011, 09:56 PM

10 posts, read 32,529 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm a speculative home buyer on a budget, but an experienced carpenter and have acquired a lot of appreciation for older homes. I've been browsing the Indy housing market on the 'net and have seen many homes which appear to be what i would want. I'm not going to be picky on neighborhoods, sq ft., styles and other luxuries considering i'll be looking in the < $25,000 range. The reason for my post is that
1) there weren't any previous posts on the subject(i checked)
2) i'm from out of state and am very green as for what it's like in Indy
3) don't have any friends or connections in town yet but would like to make some
What i have set up is to rent a room in a 4 bedroom house in South Broad Ripple for November which i will be able to dedicate most of my time to home searching. I'm a 35 YO single guy, conservative, artistic type, have never owned a home but have decided to no longer pay rent, no matter what. Unfortunately, i don't have my real estate license or law degree yet so am hoping that maybe there is someone out there not apt to take too much advantage of the little guy
I should also mention, i'll be looking for work and a church while there, in case anyone has interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 06:30 PM

8,978 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityartisan View Post
Hi,
I'm a speculative home buyer on a budget, but an experienced carpenter and have acquired a lot of appreciation for older homes. I've been browsing the Indy housing market on the 'net and have seen many homes which appear to be what i would want. I'm not going to be picky on neighborhoods, sq ft., styles and other luxuries considering i'll be looking in the < $25,000 range. The reason for my post is that
1) there weren't any previous posts on the subject(i checked)
2) i'm from out of state and am very green as for what it's like in Indy
3) don't have any friends or connections in town yet but would like to make some
What i have set up is to rent a room in a 4 bedroom house in South Broad Ripple for November which i will be able to dedicate most of my time to home searching. I'm a 35 YO single guy, conservative, artistic type, have never owned a home but have decided to no longer pay rent, no matter what. Unfortunately, i don't have my real estate license or law degree yet so am hoping that maybe there is someone out there not apt to take too much advantage of the little guy
I should also mention, i'll be looking for work and a church while there, in case anyone has interest.
I would throw in a plug for Century 21 Sheetz on Mass Ave. I worked with them when I purchased my current house, and when I lived in Fountain Square. I can message you specific people I worked with who know their way around the historic areas of Indianapolis very well.

I worked with a realty office in Avon for a while. They meant well enough, but they would say things like "this house hasn't been upgraded to vinyl" and "you wouldn't believe the area I just drove through."

Speaking from my own experience and opinion, if you are looking for a house in urban Indianapolis, stick with a realtor whose focus is urban Indianapolis, not a realtor whose focus is in the 'burbs and tried to be urban on occasion. I've not had a lot of success with those types.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:45 PM

10 posts, read 32,529 times
Thanks for the input MM and TT. I've done some more research and to be more specific the area of zip codes 46201, 46203 or 46222 are where most of these homes are. Also i've found that pricing for these was all below $15,000. Maybe the better way to go about this is to look at these houses first, find out about the neighborhood, and than talk to a realtor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis