Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2007, 04:04 PM

12 posts, read 44,550 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any thoughts about Butler Tarkington? We are a family of 5 moving from the Chicago suburbs to Indy in the spring. We would prefer to send the kids to public schools, but want a more established neighborhood than we have been able to find in Carmel or Zionsville. We like the feel of Meridian Kessler, etc., but the high taxes and the not-so-great schools are concerning. I guess Butler Tarkington probably also fits into that category too, but wondered if any of you have any pearls of wisdom to impart. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 04:05 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
I loved Butler Tarkington when we lived there. We had no kids. I used the canal walk to walk from Butler to Keystone. Used the library in Broad Ripple. Lots of good to great private or religious schools.

The taxing issues do cause me concern. Housing prices are in a state where no one really knows what something is worth. Make sure your kids will have friends as close as you want. Some neighborhoods have few kids with age since the houses are being occupied with two income families with little kids or no kids.

Butler Tarkington is exactly like MK except it is on the other side of Meridian. Same schools, same houses, same good and bad. There are some nice subdivisions all around so choose your schools and commute and then really concentrate on the housing.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:14 AM

12 posts, read 44,550 times
thanks sweetana, that's good advice.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:07 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,760,644 times
I haven't been in BT for twenty years but it used to pride itself with being the only truly integrated neighborhood in Indiana. It was a wonderful area with friendly helpful neighbors who looked out for and cared for each other. When a house when up for sale it may be a middle class or retired black family or a young family of yuppies who would move in.
I hope the area has held up. It used to be a jewel.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:26 AM

2 posts, read 6,691 times
Default Butler/Tarkington

Hi,
Another area you may want to look at is Irvington. I've just been working with a professional couple and have made an offer on a wonderful home. The historical homes are beautiful and the area is becoming very popular without the price tags of Butler Tarkington or Kessler Meridian. Most all have Indiana Public School systems, which are not the greatest. Many residents send their kids to private schools. [MOD CUT: NO BUSINESS PROMOTION]

Last edited by Sage of Sagle; 08-30-2007 at 04:05 PM..

Old 08-30-2007, 06:39 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
I like certain parts of Irvington also. Still some brick streets and some great homes from around the 1920s/1930s with great woodwork.

However, do your due diligence carefully. It was reported to me that Ellenberger Park is having some crime issues and groups of young men congregating. There is still quite a prostitution problem reported by a friend and as reported in the paper. The police just had a major sweep with many arrests.

There is a community spirit in Irvington that is hard to find elsewhere. But again, watch to make sure your kids will have others their age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis