Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 03:57 AM

9 posts, read 38,253 times

Advertisements

This question goes out to those of you who are not from Indianapolis or Indiana... Perhaps, from a city/state know for its' cuisine (i.e., N.Y.C./L.A./New Orleans/etc.).

I trust your taste buds more than someone who has lived here for a long time (more than seven years) or is a native (who hasn't travel outside of their familiar).

Anyhow, where are some good places to eat downtown? Looking for cheap to moderately priced. American food. Soul food. Middle Eastern. Thai. Japanese/Sushi. Mexican food.

Keep in mind, I have frequented the following establishments and found them to be lack-luster: Yat's, Hoaglins-To-Go, Steak 'N Shake, Aesop's Table(s), and the new tapas restaurant on Delaware.

I am a native of Southern California who moved here in July.
I desperately miss the food/eateries back "home".

Help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 07:09 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Cheap to moderately priced good food, like the ethnic/mom and pop's places (read non-chain), are hard to find in Indianapolis. Although I am a native Hoosier, I spent plenty of time in Chicago and NYC.

Most good food in the Indianapolis area are "destination dining" places. I do have to say one of the best meals I ever had in my life was had at St. Elmo's. I also had very good sushi at Mikados, but again, those are destination dining places.

You could try this website:

Indianapolis Ethnic Food Restaurants, Reviews, Markets, Recipes, and Festivals

good luck!

Old 09-12-2007, 07:16 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,029,877 times
Unlike other large cities, Indy never really established much of a identity in terms of food so good luck trying to find anything. It's about as chain heavy as it gets but natives don't seem to mind (which confuses me btw).

Old 09-12-2007, 08:00 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,536,860 times
I'm definately not a native. I've been clawing my way out of here for 20 years, lol.

My favorite is the downtown location of Bazbeaux's. The large antipasto salad with their house vinaigrette is my favorite. Great atmosphere and service.

My daughter and her friends frequent Naked Chopsticks in Broadripple.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:22 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
I like to read feedmedrinkme.blogspot.com for interesting food and drink reviews. I have actually used it to pick a new retaurant to try and loved the place. Now I check their thoughts on what is interesting and why before we go.

Hubby had some of Da Blue Lagoons food at his company and loved it. We are going to try them out. I think they are on College in Broad Ripple.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:16 AM

9 posts, read 38,253 times
Default Replies to my question about Indianapolis eatries

Thank you for the "tips" everyone.

Bazbeaux is one of the few places I have enjoyed.

I will keep searching. The march is on!

Old 09-12-2007, 02:11 PM

39 posts, read 156,501 times
Thai: Sawsadee is decent on the northwest side. I love Thai Spice, but it is in Greenwood and I don't get down there much.

Pizza: The only place that I found to be like a NY style was Cio's in Fishers. However, I think it is now Stefanos and I haven't tried it since they made the switch. I've heard they have similar (or the same) pizza, though. I've always found Bazbeaux Pizza a bit mediocre.

Greek: Santorini's in Fountain Square

Turkish: Bosphorus...love there appetizer plate. I haven't tried Istanbul Cafe.

Mexican: I think Pancho's Taqueria is great and there are tons of Hispanics eating there every time I go in...love their salsa bar. They have a location at 71st and Michigan and 96th and Allisonville

American: Oakley's Bistro on NW side or R Bistro on Mass Ave (downtown)
People seem to like Elements (downtown) and I am DYING to try Petersons (Fishers). These are all a bit more upscale and priced accordingly.

Personally, I enjoy Mama Carollas in Broad Ripple and although they are not traditional Italian in terms of what you are accustomed to, I'm sure, they make a mean French martini and I love their artichoke fritters and fried ravioli.

Most should have a website with menu that you might want to check out to see if it is what you are looking for.

I'm a born and raised Hoosier, but trust me. These may not be the caliber of NYC/Chicago or wherever, but in those respective catagories, these are about as good as you will get here. As I foodie, I try and sample each new place as it comes up and these are some of my favorites.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:26 PM

39 posts, read 156,501 times
Geez, I totally knew I would think of a bunch of other places after I already posted. But, my fav Indian place is India Garden. I don't like their buffet, though.

Also, Abbyssinia has Ethopian food and they are pretty good...don't have anything to compare it to, though. My friend's husband is from Ethiopia and he always makes her bring him back some. The stretch in that area along Lafayette road has a lot of ethnic restaurants that are run by natives.

I've also heard good things about Cairo Cafe, but when we went, they were closed (I think it was a Tuesday).

Heidelburg House serves German food and there are always German speaking locals in there. I haven't eaten the food, but I have had their black forest cake and I surely enjoy that.

And my hubby used to go to a small dive called Patties of Jamaica at the corner of 56th and Allisonville and said that they were really good and spicy!!

Finally, I have heard MaMa's is good for Korean and I think they are on Pendleton Pike. But, don't quote me on that.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:07 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
We just ate at Village Grill in a strip mall north of I465 on Michigan. I wasnt expecting much but my husband said all 10 people liked their lunch and he wanted me to try it.

I had a gyro, shredded potato, feta, grilled onion skillet with lovely over easy eggs(on top) and toast on the side. So good I took the leftovers home and served them with more onion and scrambled eggs. Wanted more. Not salty or greasy just delicious.

A tiny bit more expensive than some but the omelets and eggs are great. Saw a lot of families and the service was with a big smile and good coffee.

We will be going back to try something else. Not a chain.

Just one big open room with tables and chairs. Bright.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:23 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,760,644 times
Indy used to be used as a testing area for new chains. You want some great "American" food? Go to Gray Brothers Cafeteria in Mooresville. Eat a piece of pie for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis