Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 06:27 PM

261 posts, read 501,009 times

Advertisements

I foolishly dinged the side of my car up a bit against concrete in a tight parking spot the other day. Nothing major, just a couple of scrapes, but I want to get it fixed. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here had some body shops in the Indy area that they could recommend to me? I've already taken it in for one estimate and it was considerably higher than I thought it would be. I know body work is super expensive, but I still thought this was a bit high.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 12:43 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,152,933 times
Can the scrapes be buffed out with light rubbing compound or is the metal also pushed in? If the metal is also pushed in then some filler will be needed to smooth things out and then painted with a clear coat.

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 04-15-2012 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: add

Old 04-15-2012, 01:48 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,058,916 times
The Shrek is on to something. Try to fix it yourself first before taking it in. Wash the car, dry it really well, then use some high quality wax/cleaner/scratch remover and buff it out a few times. You may be able to get most if not all of it out. Unless it's too deep and in the medal.

I have never had body work done in Indy but generally have heard good things about Butler body shop on Rangeline road in Carmel and equally have heard horrible stories about Church Brothers especially the one in Greenwood. Not from personal experience though, just word of mouth....

Old 04-16-2012, 06:56 PM

21 posts, read 51,584 times
While we're talking about cars, can anyone recommend a full-service garage that's reputable?? I have to point out that I'm Asian and 25, so garages tend to rip me off. It's really disappointing as well as disconcerting that this happens due to my age, gender, and race, but life isn't fair and this is what happens.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:16 AM

83 posts, read 180,846 times
Walker Auto Body on Churchman Avenue. I wouldn't take my car anywhere else.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snactres View Post
While we're talking about cars, can anyone recommend a full-service garage that's reputable?? I have to point out that I'm Asian and 25, so garages tend to rip me off. It's really disappointing as well as disconcerting that this happens due to my age, gender, and race, but life isn't fair and this is what happens.
Don't take it too personally. I am not Asian but there are a lot of garages out there who want to rip me off too. Sad but true. For example, I brought my BMW 740 to one garage and they quoted me all that they wanted to do to my car. The figure was astronomical and more than the cost of a new one so I just drove away.

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 04-30-2012 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: add

Old 04-30-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
The Shrek is on to something. Try to fix it yourself first before taking it in. Wash the car, dry it really well, then use some high quality wax/cleaner/scratch remover and buff it out a few times. You may be able to get most if not all of it out. Unless it's too deep and in the medal.

I have never had body work done in Indy but generally have heard good things about Butler body shop on Rangeline road in Carmel and equally have heard horrible stories about Church Brothers especially the one in Greenwood. Not from personal experience though, just word of mouth....
Be extra careful using a power buffer because you can burn the finish.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:06 AM

86 posts, read 295,817 times
Langfords Collission for body work and Malless Automotive for general full service stuff. Both NW Indy and both honest.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:15 AM

4 posts, read 29,305 times
There's a place on Harding street. I don't remember the name of the shop, but the name of the guy that owns it is Felix. It's very cheap and they do an excellent job.. Its a Mexican body shop.. I've been there over and over again, and I've recommended a lot of ppl there. It's a great shop.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:42 AM

261 posts, read 501,009 times
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Southside, I don't think the scrapes could be buffed out because the metal is also pushed in a little. Indybail, I'm going to try that Walker place out. I'm also going to try out Butler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis