Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 04:43 PM

42 posts, read 167,698 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. Have any of you dealt with a grossly over assessed property in Indy? I am starting to get majorly fed up. I filed an appeal nearly 3 years ago and they still haven't gotten back to me yet. I called them last week to make sure everything is still ok. Was basically told I am still on the "list".

I bought the house for less then 15k, I am currently assessed at over 85k. Almost 30k more then any house on my street which I easily check on the tax map.

My house has no garage and has less bedrooms/baths then both the properties next to me. I had a appraisal done when I filed the paperwork and my house came in around 45k.

Has anyone dealt with this before? Any way to get it sped up? I am starting to feel like I will have moved before this friggin house get re assessed. ARGHHHH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 09:15 AM

53 posts, read 134,170 times
My wife an I are in the same boat. We bought our house for $190k and it's assessed for over $260k. We filed our appeal close to two years ago, including a number of nearby comparable sales from around the neighborhood and have heard nothing. I was given the same line as you when I inquired about the status of my appeal.

It's no surprise; why would the county be in a harry to refund our property taxes? It's still frustrating, though.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:30 AM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
I'm glad someone brought up this subject. I've been viewing the property history of many homes in the Indy region to get an idea of what the property tax bills are like and I've noted a great disparity from year to year over a period of two to four years in many areas. Valuations changed dramatically over a short period of time and I am wondering what kind of methodology is used to determine the value of a home for levying a property tax in central Indiana. Some examples. I don't plan on buying any of these but I am simply linking to them as a means to illustrate my point. Click on Property History to see the property tax bills over a several year period:

3119 Ruckle St Indianapolis IN - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #21171706 - Realtor.com®

1676 Hannibal St Noblesville IN - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #77071492 - Realtor.com®

827 Country Ln Anderson IN - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #21155944 - Realtor.com®

Old 04-24-2012, 09:45 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I'm glad someone brought up this subject. I've been viewing the property history of many homes in the Indy region to get an idea of what the property tax bills are like and I've noted a great disparity from year to year over a period of two to four years in many areas. Valuations changed dramatically over a short period of time and I am wondering what kind of methodology is used to determine the value of a home for levying a property tax in central Indiana. Some examples. I don't plan on buying any of these but I am simply linking to them as a means to illustrate my point. Click on Property History to see the property tax bills over a several year period:

3119 Ruckle St Indianapolis IN - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #21171706 - Realtor.com®

1676 Hannibal St Noblesville IN - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #77071492 - Realtor.com®

827 Country Ln Anderson IN - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #21155944 - Realtor.com®
Without looking at your links, I can see right away that your examples cover 3 different counties. It's well known that Marion County has over-assessed properties and is way behind dealing with appeals. I can't speak for Madison County. A lot of folks on this board will talk trash about Hamilton County, but the tax situation here is much more organized and stable.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:34 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,151,799 times
grmasterb is right on. Marion County is about 3 to 4 years behind dealing with appeals and there is not much one can do about it.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:48 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,477,418 times
Plus there are a lot of errors. Friends have their exemptions input by Marion County on the wrong lines of the forms causing a huge increase in taxes. Now they have to file to have them corrected.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:12 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,151,799 times
I had one Township Assessor back in late 2007 tell me when I appealed an assessment: "Everybody's taxes went up. My taxes went up on my farm and commercial property." His attitude was one of shared pain but I did not want to share in his pain. I am glad that he was not the one who decided my appeal.

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 04-24-2012 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: add

Old 04-24-2012, 04:29 PM

42 posts, read 167,698 times
Yea this is so frustrating to me right now. The state will tax sale your property if you don't pay your taxes on time but damn if it isn't ok for them to mess around for half a decade. I mean a couple grand or even 10 grand no biggy. But being over assessed almost double of what I should be paying is driving me nuts.

I was hoping to have this all settled by now and have this place on the market. I think that it will probably be sold before I even hear back from them. They told me 2 years and now I'm thinking it'll be 3+.

The worst part is that I have almost paid more in taxes then what I paid for the whole house.

Lesson learned I suppose. Next house I will be extra sure to make sure its been assessed more with todays housing market and not circa 2000.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:24 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,077,296 times
Nothing is free folks. If you want to see action, get a lawyer. Do a cost benefit analysis before you hire an attorney. I have no idea how much it would take, but find out that your not going to end up paying more to save more. Hancock County is also playing games with assessments. Over the years, my home was assessed at $121K with $500 in "other residential property and farmland." Now the $500 is odd enough. So after the change, they also assess "all other property, including personal property."

So after years of not lowing assessments in a down market, they finally lower my home value by $5000. They then zero out the $500. However, they magically come to the conclusion that the value of all my other property is $5,500. Wow, imagine that, it still works out to the same overall assessment as last year and the years before. But here is the kicker, only the home value has the 1% cap, there is a 3% cap on the personal property assessment. So this is nothing more than a backdoor tax hike, but made to look like "we are doing our jobs in lowering home values."

I'm done supporting anything anymore. The government is taking more and more of our money, so everything from school fundraisers to fire department fundraisers shouldn't even be needed. But of course it is never enough. I plan on making copies of my tax bill and sending it out when I get a letter begging to pay even more for local entities like the schools or fire department. I wouldn't be so upset if they didn't play these games with people. Our assessor must be clairvoyant to know our personal property is valued at $5,500. Then again, maybe they think we drive junk cars? Oh, and I can't believe the assessment is the exact same as before. With those odds, I should have won Mega Millions.

Folks, this is a serious problem. Your vehicles are personal property, and most two parent working families likely have two vehicles at least worth $5,000 each, if not more. Now maybe if you owe on the vehicles, that would reduce that amount. However, how many wives are wearing a $5,000 wedding ring and their husbands own two $1,000 hunting rifles? Don't forget the two $300 iPhones, and $2,000 in HDTVs. That right there would be $9,300 in personal property that would be taxed at 3%.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:30 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,688 times
How is your personal property taxed in Indiana?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis