Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 07:07 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,734,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
#1 kroger does NOT have a monopoly in Indianapolis. Dont have to live there to know that
Ever heard of Walmart/Target/Meijer? In addition to Kroger. Sams Club/costco and many other places.
Have you been to downtown Indianapolis eateries? as the old saying goes with meat you get the quality you pay for. If you want a 1$ Hamburger from Mc Donalds the quality of the meat is going to match that 1$ hamburger.
Compared to a 25$ burger from Harry and Izzy's
Have you ever heard of Jewel/Osco, Dominicks, Food for Less, or Ultra Foods? Excuse you but you are talking to a native Chicagoan that recently moved here. Contrary to what you may believe, Sams Club, Target, Meijer, Costco and Walmart are NOT dedicated grocery stores.

Major cities have a selection of grocery stores. Indy is a small city and despite searching high and low since I arrived, the only grocery stores here are Marsh (which is identical to Kroger and may even be a subsidiary) the quality of what they stock is nothing special to merit the exhorbitant cost. Kroger does indeed have a monopoly here which is why their prices are sky high.

Last edited by PurpleRain_1; 05-12-2012 at 07:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 07:35 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,509,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
Have you ever heard of Jewel/Osco, Dominicks, Food for Less, or Ultra Foods? Excuse you but you are talking to a native Chicagoan that recently moved here. Contrary to what you may believe, Target, Meijer, Costco and Walmart are NOT dedicated grocery stores. Major cities have a selection of grocery stores. Indy is a small city and despite searching high and low since I arrived, the only grocery stores here are Marsh (which is identical to Kroger and may even be a subsidiary) and Kroger. Kroger does indeed have a monopoly here which is why their prices are sky high.
Marsh is as Hoosier as you can get.
Kroger is HQed in Cincy although they do like Indy alot too ironically.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:29 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,528,870 times
Quote:
Have you ever heard of Jewel/Osco, Dominicks, Food for Less, or Ultra Foods? Excuse you but you are talking to a native Chicagoan that recently moved here. Contrary to what you may believe, Sams Club, Target, Meijer, Costco and Walmart are NOT dedicated grocery stores.

Major cities have a selection of grocery stores. Indy is a small city and despite searching high and low since I arrived, the only grocery stores here are Marsh (which is identical to Kroger and may even be a subsidiary) the quality of what they stock is nothing special to merit the exhorbitant cost. Kroger does indeed have a monopoly here which is why their prices are sky high.
Marsh is not a subsidiary of Kroger.

Basic economics: you can't have a monopoly when there's a lot of competition. I'm struggling to recall the last time I shopped at Kroger. And while the big boxes may not be solely grocers, fact is they provide competition. Besides, Jewel and Dominick's are no different than Marsh in that they are local chains. Kroger is more national.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:40 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,075,279 times
Quote:
Meijer and Super Walmarts are definitely dedicated grocery stores. I can't understand why selling other things such as prescriptions, health and beauty stuff, clothing, etc. magically negates that thousands of grocery products they sell. Also, Meijer stocks different depending on the store. The Meijer up on the NE side of 96th St. seems to have a much larger international foods offering then the one on the east side.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:58 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,098,971 times
Quote:

Food 4 less has a parent and its name is Kroger....

Old 05-13-2012, 08:49 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,509,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy18 View Post
The steakburger at Harry and Izzy's is 12 dollars. 14 if you add bacon (it's worth the extra two bucks).

Harry & Izzy's - Indianapolis, Indiana

It's definitely one of the best burgers I've ever had. All of their sandwiches are delicious. The BLT, Prime Rib sandwich, fish sandwich, etc are all top notch.
Goes to say you get what you pay for in the Meat Department

Old 05-13-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Marsh is not a subsidiary of Kroger.

Basic economics: you can't have a monopoly when there's a lot of competition. I'm struggling to recall the last time I shopped at Kroger. And while the big boxes may not be solely grocers, fact is they provide competition. Besides, Jewel and Dominick's are no different than Marsh in that they are local chains. Kroger is more national.
Really? I have seen the meat and prices at the big box stores and the prices are higher and the selection is mediocre. But then again they don't specialize in providing quality food, it's just thrown in for the purpose of profit.

Can you please provide a list of GROCERY STORES considered as competition to Kroger in Indy or the surrounding suburbs (Greenwood would be nice)? Thank you in advance.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Food 4 less has a parent and its name is Kroger....

I was naming the grocery stores in and around the Chicago area. FYI I already knew Food 4 less was a subsidiary of Kroger, but unlike Indy it does NOT have a monopoly in or around the Chicagoland area. Useless information, but thanks for pointing that out anyway.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317;24281709[B
]Meijer and Super Walmarts are definitely dedicated grocery stores. [/b]I can't understand why selling other things such as prescriptions, health and beauty stuff, clothing, etc. magically negates that thousands of grocery products they sell. Also, Meijer stocks different depending on the store. The Meijer up on the NE side of 96th St. seems to have a much larger international foods offering then the one on the east side.

Dedicated grocery stores, since when? Um, not.

[quote] Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT), branded as Walmart since 2008 and Wal*Mart before then, is an American multinational retailer corporation that runs chains of large discount department stores and warehouse stores. The company is the world's 18th largest public corporation, according to the Forbes Global 2000 list, and the largest public corporation when ranked by revenue. It is also the biggest private employer in the world with over two million employees, and is the largest retailer in the world. Walmart remains a family-owned business, as the company is controlled by the Walton family who own a 48% stake in Walmart.[/quote]

Walmart - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.meijer.com/

Last edited by PurpleRain_1; 05-13-2012 at 10:39 AM..

Old 05-13-2012, 10:36 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,899,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Uh, ever heard of Marsh??
There is also Safeway, Whole Foods, Trader Joes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis