Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 07:05 PM

82 posts, read 178,684 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We currently live in the suburbs of Birmingham, AL and we are thinking of moving to Noblesville, IN. We loved Indianapolis. I'm originally from Detroit, so its a breath of fresh air to see such a clean and booming downtown area.

What we wanted to know was, if many people working in downtown Indianapolis live in Noblesville. We're not sure if it is way out. We currently drive about 45mins to an hour to work. The suburbs here are know as bedroom communities, where people just live here but most people work downtown. The traffic can be hectic. if it rains, you had 20 mins to your drive.

Any help would be appreciated!!! Thanks Y'all! (I had to add the y'all )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 04:37 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,478,655 times
Lots of people, a whole lot, live in Fishers/Noblesville. Now there is south Noblesville where friends of mine lived for 20 years and north Noblesville. Living north adds a lot more time. It is the area they keep talking about high speed rail or there traffic mitigation solutions.

It is our area's most stressful commute. Winter issues or accidents can cause really significant increases in the time it takes to get to work or home.

Your description of bedroom community and the time to work sounds about right.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:30 AM

Thank you so much!

Old 07-14-2012, 08:49 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,267,688 times
I think you are spot on if you figure an hour commute during rush hour from Noblesville to downtown Indianapolis. But Noblesville is a pretty big and spread out city so the time could vary depending on where in Noblesville you would live. They are currently in a 2-year project to redo the I-69/SR 37 interchange which has caused bottlenecks for Noblesville and Fishers drivers for years. When that's done at the end of 2013 it should be much better. The project will also widen I-69 to 4 or 5 lanes in each direction from SR 37 to I-465 and that should help out a lot as well since I-69 is currently only 3 lanes southbound.

There is also an express bus that runs from Fishers to downtown Indy. It loads in a parking lot at the corner of 106th St and Lantern Rd on the west side of I-69 and then makes a few stops downtown. I think it makes 3 trips during the morning rush hour and 3 in the evening rush hour. You can get more information on that here Central Indiana Regional Transportation Authority | Express Bus It lists only 30 minutes to get downtown from Fishers. There's also one that leaves from the Meijer store in Carmel which could be closer to you depending on which part of Noblesville you live in. It may not make sense to use it every day, but it certainly could come in handy on snowy days when the commute might be 2 hours or more.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:07 PM

Awesome!!! Thank you!!! Did not know there was plans to expand the highways there. That is a huge plus. Also, GREAT to know about the express bus! Very helpful, this is the first time I have heard about that. We are thinking of renting an apt or home for a bit to get a feel for the areas and not be tied down if we find the drive is too much for us. In Michigan, I was used to driving in a few feet of snow, but I never worked further than 10 miles from home. That makes a big difference.

Thank you very much again!

Old 07-15-2012, 05:56 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,449,665 times
As a former metro detroiter let me welcome you to indy. Theres a ton of us who escaped michigan and ended up here. You will be amazed at the amount of michigan plates in carmel, fishers and noblesville.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:31 AM

Aaww well thank you! The past yr and a half, we have been in Alabama. We went too far south lol. It makes us happy to hear this Mike!! Down here we are outsiders; Indianapolis feels like home in just the few visits.
Thanks again!

Old 07-15-2012, 10:01 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
As a former metro detroiter let me welcome you to indy. Theres a ton of us who escaped michigan and ended up here. You will be amazed at the amount of michigan plates in carmel, fishers and noblesville.
maybe we should just call the whole state Michiana?
if were going to be invaded by any state let it be by our neighbors and not some far away place like california or New York

Old 07-15-2012, 11:52 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,449,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
maybe we should just call the whole state Michiana?
if were going to be invaded by any state let it be by our neighbors and not some far away place like california or New York
Actually getting invaded by ohio or illinois ( chicago) would suck.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:01 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
Actually getting invaded by ohio or illinois ( chicago) would suck.
ohio lol not really. Ohio isnt great but its not bad either its just *ok*
now Illinois? well good point. lets keep the corruption pit of the nation where its at and confine the corruption there. Or better yet chop off Chicagoland then the rest of Illinois wouldnt be so Ill and corrupt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis