Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 01:27 PM

218 posts, read 462,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dommo2007 View Post

As far as good students coming out of "bad" schools, sure, I absolutely agree it can happen. Hell, not on that level, but I suppose I could consider myself in that catagory. That probably isn't the norm however...the fact that you can remember this after a year says to me it's not terribly common. So if it's all the same, I think I will stick with the "good" schools.
So are you trying to find schools where the majority of the students get into Carnegie Mellon? Good luck!

Of course it's not very common--it's not very common anywhere. If that's your standard, you're probably going to have to make sure your kid gets into Park Tudor--an expensive private school for the gifted and talented--or Brebeuf, the expensive Jesuit prep school. Anything else and you'll just be slumming it.

The only public school districts where students routinely get into the top-tier private schools are places like Carmel and Zionsville and maybe Fishers and North Central. But most of these (Zionsville excluded) are huge schools, and it's still only a half dozen people each year, if that.

Warren Central has plenty of people going on to college. A student with aptitude and a supportive family will easily find a college prep track at Warren filled with like-minded peers. This college prep track may not consist of the majority of the students, but it doesn't necessarily do that at most schools, including the suburban ones. Plenty of other Warren Central grads end up at IU or Purdue, which are excellent schools but just about every metric...unless you consider Carnegie Mellon to be a back-up plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 05:57 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,478,655 times
If you are an intelligent student like a friend's son, going to Hamilton Southeast was fine. He went on to Butler and graduated with a Bachelors in music and chemistry and then went on to Stanford for his Masters and now is working on a PhD in computational science. He did a lot of independent study while in high school.

It is so much more having the ambition and desire to succeed and an idea of an area of interest to work towards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis