Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 09:37 PM

218 posts, read 462,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTramp1 View Post

I didn't say it wasn't a real city, I said it was particularly urban. Every city has its strength, Indy's is being affordable and pleasant, not dense and/or sophisticated.

Why do you list dense and sophisticated together in the same sentence? Does one mutually follow the other?

Saying Indianapolis isn't very dense is one thing entirely--you can support it with numbers. We get it.

Calling people here unsophisticated and assuming it is because it is a low density city is clearly condescending. Most other Midwestern cities are still shrinking--even if they are denser than Indy, they are becoming more like Indy and are often far far less dense than they used to be at peak population. Indy, meanwhile, is still growing in population and, as a whole, is becoming more dense.

But I guess for you density and sophistication are the same? I mean, obviously New York, being pretty densely populated, is just overall more sophisticated. Too bad the mayor doesn't seem to think that about his own constituents (his subjects) because apparently they're too dumb to know the right size of soda pop to buy at the convenience stores!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 06:53 AM

6,341 posts, read 11,084,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandandjules View Post
Why do you list dense and sophisticated together in the same sentence? Does one mutually follow the other?

Saying Indianapolis isn't very dense is one thing entirely--you can support it with numbers. We get it.

Calling people here unsophisticated and assuming it is because it is a low density city is clearly condescending. Most other Midwestern cities are still shrinking--even if they are denser than Indy, they are becoming more like Indy and are often far far less dense than they used to be at peak population. Indy, meanwhile, is still growing in population and, as a whole, is becoming more dense.

But I guess for you density and sophistication are the same? I mean, obviously New York, being pretty densely populated, is just overall more sophisticated. Too bad the mayor doesn't seem to think that about his own constituents (his subjects) because apparently they're too dumb to know the right size of soda pop to buy at the convenience stores!
Since he equates sophistication of a region with how dense the population is then surely Supercramp1 must be the most dense person here. Based upon what I can glean from his posts on this string he's a recent transplant to the Indy area and a dissatisfied customer at that.

Here's another one. If the people in NYC were so sophisticated then surely they would not need their local government mandating what they can and cannot eat. Apparently they don't possess the common sense to eat well balanced meals that are low in fat.

NYC fast food chains cut trans fat under regulations | Reuters

Old 07-26-2012, 11:06 AM

15 posts, read 24,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
You keep hammering home the fact that Indianapolis isn’t as densely populated as 8th, 27th, 55th, 60th,74th and 81st, largest urban centers of the world. We get it. Mission accomplished. Indianapolis comes in at a lowly 303. Yes ranked 303 in the world in population as an urban area. But since you are high on density lets examine that line of thought. World urban areas over 500,000 people, New York City (as an urban area) ranks 755 although it is the largest urban area in land mass. The Los Angeles, San Francisco, Las Vegas, and Honolulu urban areas are more densely populated than (drum roll) New York City. They are ranked 724, 738 and 751 respectively. In case you’re wondering lowly Indianapolis is 814. The New York City urban area is just 59 spots ahead of Indianapolis worldwide in population density. They must have counted the corn in the cornfields huh?

Source: http://www.demographia.com/db-worldua.pdf
What does this have to do with the level of urbanity in the city's core? Yes, NYC has such a large workforce because of its massive economy that people commute in from 1.5-2 hrs away in Connecticut and New Jersey (and can often do so because of a world-class public transport system), which leads to a far less dense total metro area. What does this have to do with NYC's urban core, Manhattan, which has the same number of people as the entire Indianapolis metro area, but is 35x as dense?

Quote:
I used the and/or conjunction which implies both traits may exist simultaneously or they may not. Just because they're in the same sentence doesn't necessarily imply correlation. I was merely listing two characteristics Indy is not known for. Doesn't IPS teach grammar?

Old 07-26-2012, 01:13 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,910,655 times
Quote:
What does this have to do with the level of urbanity in the city's core? Yes, NYC has such a large workforce because of its massive economy that people commute in from 1.5-2 hrs away in Connecticut and New Jersey (and can often do so because of a world-class public transport system), which leads to a far less dense total metro area. What does this have to do with NYC's urban core, Manhattan, which has the same number of people as the entire Indianapolis metro area, but is 35x as dense?

What does anything regarding NYC has to do with the originator of this threads simple question, "do you think Indy has an urban environment"? The question wasn't Indy's urban environment compared to NYC. If you don't think it has an urban environment just say no. Btw what do you consider a whole class public transportation system? World class by American standards which isn't saying much.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
I used the and/or conjunction which implies both traits may exist simultaneously or they may not. Just because they're in the same sentence doesn't necessarily imply correlation. I was merely listing two characteristics Indy is not known for. Doesn't IPS teach grammar?
I love NYC for its wealth of restaurants and museums and opportunities to have the world within reach, all while getting around by foot. That's probably sophisticated, I guess, in a lot of people's minds.

I don't crave the idea of spending 50% of my income on housing, as many friends who live there do--or of living in outer Queens and depending on an hour commute each day to my Manhattan job, simply because Queens is the only place where I wouldn't spend 70% of my income on housing. I can't stand seeing tons of morbidly obese people like you often do in metro Indy, but I hardly see a mayor feeling the right to ban drinks of a certain size as a good indicator of sophistication. (And NYC is hardly free of fatties.) Sophistication is completely subjective, which seems to escape you as you obviously come here to take a dig at Indy.

Indy might not have a fraction of the museums that New York does--heck, the whole state has fewer people than the city. But several of what we do have are world-class, the symphony is among the top-tier for metros of its size, and the restaurant scene has improved leaps and bounds in just the last five years that I started visiting here regularly (before I moved here). Public transportation is awful, but as someone else said, PT in most American cities is bad by global standards (even New York is mediocre at best).

I guess by your standards Indy just isn't sophisticated enough, and those of us who are content with it as a comfortable, manageable place to live are just bumpkins. If that's the case, and I'm an unsophisticated bumpkin in your mind because I chose to live here, somehow I'm not going to lose much sleep over that.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:

Oh, and the "and/or" combination is unnecessary 99% of the time because they are connotatively interchangeable. Think about it: remove them both and substitute with one (either one) and it conveys the same meaning as it would with the other. Besides, that isn't grammar, that's semantics.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:19 AM

6 posts, read 5,866 times
hello everybody , what do you think about living in indianapolis i mean is it a boring place or not !

Old 10-21-2012, 09:23 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anya08 View Post
hello everybody , what do you think about living in indianapolis i mean is it a boring place or not !
of course its NOT a boring place.
The people that say that on the internet are either A boring people. B lazy. or C havent been to Indianapolis.
now if you have other questions about Indianapolis i would recommend starting up a thread and list all the questions/concerns you have about Indy

Old 10-21-2012, 09:48 AM

are there aquatic&fitness centers

Old 10-21-2012, 09:53 AM

thank you to be honest with you i have never been at indy by the way i m not from usa i m from france my fiancé will go soon to indy so i don t have any idea about it ,but i heard some peopole say that newyork is better and the way of life is not urban . i like going to fitness center and practice swwiming is there acquatic&fitness centers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis