Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 02:42 AM

316 posts, read 660,622 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to first rent an apartment for a year or so and during that time look to purchase a home in Fishers or Carmel, can anyone give me the pro's and con's of living in each area?
How is the retired military availability of tricare healthcare and VA services in those areas?
And do most homes have city water and what is the average property taxes on homes in these areas?

I heard home prices are reasonable in Fishers and the crime is low, but recently heard its a noisy place? Is this true from new home building subdivisions or company building?
Also is there any factories located near either of these places?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 04:59 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
There is a VA Medical Center in Indianapolis. It wouldn't be a bad drive from Fishers or Carmel. Maybe 30-45 minutes depending upon where you live.

I believe most homes have city water.

I was in Fishers over the weekend. It didn't seem noisy to me at all, but I don't live there. Perhaps there is a problem in a particular neighborhood.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:18 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,266,803 times
Both Fishers and Carmel are about as noisy as any city with major highways. It's certainly nothing that's going to keep you awake unless your house backs up right to I-69. Fishers is cheaper than Carmel but Carmel has an actual downtown area with art galleries, restaurants, bars, and shops. I can't really help you with military and VA info.

Neither Fishers nor Carmel have much at all in the way of factories. Mostly big warehouses in Fishers and office parks in Carmel. Property taxes in Indiana are capped at 1% but throughout Hamilton County, property taxes are pretty low.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:05 PM

Thanks for the replies;

How about rentals for apartments there in Fishers, what is the average price and how is the job market in that area?

Old 07-17-2012, 05:19 AM

I think the job market all across the northern suburbs is pretty good. As for apartment rentals, average prices probably range from $650-1000 depending on what all you want with your apartment.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:08 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,854,170 times
I can recommend Conner Farms apartments near the intersection of 116th and Allisonville Rd. It is a great location, there are stores, banks, restaurants and shops within walking distance. I am often in the area and see residents walking everywhere.

They are townhouse-style apartments and the grounds are very well maintained. The apartments range from one bedroom to three bedroom, and some have attached garages. The sizes range from around 850 sq. ft. to over 1500 sq. ft.

I have a coworker who sold her home and lives here and she loves the neighorhood.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:23 AM

Conner Farms is a very nice area with a lot of restaurants and shopping you can walk to. There's a kroger across the street, a CVS down the street, and several restaurants, both fast food and sit down. My only apartment experience down here was the year I lived in Sunblest Apartments off 116th Street by the Municipal Complex before I decided to buy a house. I loved living there. Never had any problems. I enjoyed being able to walk to CVS and, if I was up for a longer walk, to Super Target. You could also easily walk across the street to McAlister's Deli, Cold Stone Creamery, or Chatham Tap. You can walk next door to the library or just down the street to Handels ice cream, Nickel Plate bar & grill, Greeks Pizza, and many other places. Plus during the summer you don't have to worry about driving and parking to things like the summer concert series at the Municipal Complex, the Freedom Festival parade, or the fireworks as they are all right there.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:12 PM

Thanks

ischyros, how long did it take you to find your home, and what is CVS?
Looking into Sunblest Apartments & Conner Farms, I believe Conner Farms are all furnished.

I need a place for me and my wife & stepson for a while until we can find a house to purchase.

Anyone have any info on the Sand Creek Woods or The Woods of Britton Apartments as well?
A furnished apt would be ideal, but may be too expensive.

Quote:
I have a coworker who sold her home and lives here and she loves the neighorhood.
I want to do just the opposite, rent for a while and then buy a home

Last edited by ranosb; 07-17-2012 at 06:34 PM..

Old 07-17-2012, 08:25 PM

Where are you from that you've never heard of CVS? It's a drug store like Walgreens or Rite-Aid. They are on about every other corner here it seems like. I lived in an apartment for a year knowing I wanted to buy a house after that. It took me maybe 2 months from when I first met with my realtor until I closed on my house.

I can't help you with Sand Creek but i live very close to The Woods at Britton. It's a nice area. Monicals Pizza and tge Britton Tavern are next door with great food and the Tavern has live music some nights. There's also a Marsh Supermarket right there too. But there are constant rumors of construction about to start in the giant empty lot on the south border of the apartments. It was supposed to he retail, apartments, a big hotel and large indoor waterpark but that fell through when the economy took a dump. Now it's just a bunch of weeds. You may not need to worry about construction noise anytime in the near future.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:02 AM

Thanks!
Yes I haven't lived in the USA since I moved from Imperial Beach California to Guam in 1996, but I'm ready to come back home to the continental USA!
I grew up in Tinley Park ILL and left for California in 1982 and haven't lived in cold weather since, but I remember it!
All my family is from Indiana and would like to be much closer to them now.

Are foreign cars [Toyota/Nissan and the likes] well accepted for maintenance/parts/repair in Indiana now like in California?
Anyone driving one of those Hybrid cars like the Toyota prius or similar? I hear it gets the best gas mileage of the lot.

Last edited by ranosb; 07-18-2012 at 01:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis