Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2012, 06:45 PM

316 posts, read 660,574 times

Advertisements

My plan is to purchase a home within a year of renting an apartment in Indiana, after moving from overseas back to Indiana. I will be looking for a house in Fishers and it will be a for a family of 3.

State apt rental law requires that for more than 2 people you must rent a 2br place. I think that might be a bit pricey in the Fishers area, so I was looking for advice on reasonable Apt rentals between Walkerton and Fishers, where I could drive once a week to look at places in Fishers.
I have family in Walkerton so somewhere in the middle of the two could be good.
I figure it would be cheaper to drive with lower rent and be closer temporarly to family.

Any suggestions or anyone been in the same similar situation out there?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 09:29 PM

218 posts, read 462,553 times
Anyone else have to look up Walkerton on a map?

Considering that it is all the way up near South Bend, you're talking about a huge range. The first place that comes to mind is Kokomo, which should have a reasonable apartment selection that won't be too expensive. You might also try northern Hamilton County, like Cicero. You could also try the mid-point small city of Peru. It's economy hasn't been so great in recent years, but I doubt it's so depressed that it would be overrun with crime--and rental units there should be dirt cheap.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:24 PM

Thanks!
Yes Walkerton is 21mi SW of south bend, and between Fishers and Walkerton it's about 122mi.
Seems like the rentals are high in Fishers compared to the house prices.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:02 AM

218 posts, read 462,553 times
My guess is the Fishers apartments are higher because its a nice area with excellent schools and there's high demand to live there. Most of those apartments are new as well and target young professionals. It'll be interesting to see what happens as they age. Because Fishers is a nice suburb, maybe the owners will renovate them enough that they stay desirable as market rate. Otherwise, in 20 years, they could easily settle back into Section 8 slums that a fair number of the 1960s-era apartment complexes in Marion County have become.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:29 PM

I hear Fishers has a high rate of people with college degrees over HS diplomas, but I guess that wouldn't effect teenagers looking for jobs...

Old 07-21-2012, 08:32 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,723,787 times
Fishers has a high concentration of white collar professionals.

But that is a pretty large expanse of geography you are looking at between Walkerton and Fishers. Just look at US 31 on a map. You'll see that Kokomo, Peru and Wabash are pretty much right in the middle of the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis