Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 03:08 PM

155 posts, read 564,358 times

Advertisements

Most businesses do not use online access and their phone number is listed as well as the owners name..

They just throw the paper out for the customers to read.

Really $12.00 a month....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 06:27 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybemover96b View Post
Be interested in why it's not the paper it used to be, if you wouldn't mind sharing.

Well one reason is that they have many fewer local reporters and writers. Indystar relies too much on AP stories and photos.

The Indy 500, Brickyard 400 and MotoGP all take place right here in Indianapolis, but you will see many articles and reports off the AP wire rather than written by local sportswriters. Back in the day (and not so long ago) Indystar actually employed colorful sportswriters to report on the Indy 500 and all the other activities and storylines that went along with it.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:51 PM

144 posts, read 342,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Well one reason is that they have many fewer local reporters and writers. Indystar relies too much on AP stories and photos.

The Indy 500, Brickyard 400 and MotoGP all take place right here in Indianapolis, but you will see many articles and reports off the AP wire rather than written by local sportswriters. Back in the day (and not so long ago) Indystar actually employed colorful sportswriters to report on the Indy 500 and all the other activities and storylines that went along with it.
Agreed, also a year or so ago they changed the format to include less local information, county news, etc., that turned me off. We used to be able to get about a story a day concerning one of the surrounding counties; now we are lucky to get one a week.

I will use my 30 views a month, as there tends to be about 5 stories a week worth clicking, and not really fret not getting to see the other "original" star pieces.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:57 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,661,304 times
$12 a month?

Seriously?

Netflix only charges $8 a month and that is a much better deal.

Look, the Seattle Post-Intelligencer is no longer a print publication and the New Orleans Times-Picayune is only printed three days a week.

These are major cities, folks.

The handwriting is on the wall.

The Star is trying to cling to a dying medium and is late to the game when it comes to charging for online content. I was a loyal online reader, but I'm sure as hell not paying for it. I can get the same stuff on the websites of the local TV stations.

Even so, why would anyone pay $12 a month to read their mediocre coverage of local events? They have been cutting staff for years. Many of those folks were quality writers. Now they employ a skeleton crew and print a lot of wire stories. The same wire stories any of us can read for free on other sites.

You want local sports coverage? There are quite a few blogs and message boards around with talented writers providing it for free. It's the same with politics, human interest, etc. In fact, I learn about events and happenings on other websites several days before they are written about in the Star.

True, they don't have the "access" that the Star writers have. Oh, you mean the "lack of access" that Star writers like Chappell and Kravitz constantly complain about? Please.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:57 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times
I don't know if it was mentioned, but an easy way to continue reading the Star without paying would be to use a different browser. I have Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome on my PC. Each browser is good for 20 articles. So I get 60 articles a month.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:46 AM

261 posts, read 500,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I don't know if it was mentioned, but an easy way to continue reading the Star without paying would be to use a different browser. I have Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome on my PC. Each browser is good for 20 articles. So I get 60 articles a month.

You don't even have to alternate the browsers. You can use the same browser and simply clear the cache, cookies, and history. Then you are good as new. I've hit my 20 article limit twice with Firefox, but when I clear everything it resets the limit and it's as if I've never read anything. IndyStar wouldn't make a dime if everyone did this. Maybe I should delete this in case someone from IndyStar sees it? lol

Old 09-21-2012, 09:01 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy18 View Post
You don't even have to alternate the browsers. You can use the same browser and simply clear the cache, cookies, and history. Then you are good as new. I've hit my 20 article limit twice with Firefox, but when I clear everything it resets the limit and it's as if I've never read anything. IndyStar wouldn't make a dime if everyone did this. Maybe I should delete this in case someone from IndyStar sees it? lol
I don't like clearing the cookies in my primary browser, since I've got so many of my passwords locked in. If I ever come close to the 60 article limit though, I've definitly picked IE as my cashe clearing browser of choice since I use it the least! Don't worry about Indy Star, they probably don't have the manpower anymore to do anything about it anyway.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:02 AM

261 posts, read 500,942 times
Quote:
I don't like clearing the cookies in my primary browser, since I've got so many of my passwords locked in. If I ever come close to the 60 article limit though, I've definitly picked IE as my cashe clearing browser of choice since I use it the least!

Yeah, I didn't appreciate just how many passwords I have stored. So that's been an annoyance. I might use IE next time I hit my limit.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:28 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,267,688 times
Quote:
I don't like clearing the cookies in my primary browser, since I've got so many of my passwords locked in.
I know this is off topic, but you should look into a password manager. I use LastPass. I only have to remember one, strong password and then I can make all my other passwords as crazy as I want with lowercase, uppercase, numbers, symbols, without having to worry about remembering them. And since they aren't stored on my local computer, I can clear cookies without any issues and I can access the passwords for any computer with internet access. It's much more secure than letting your browser remember your passwords.

Back on topic, the Indy Star rarely seems to have exclusive content. If I see a headline I want to read, I just Google it and can find the same content elsewhere, sometimes a better article, too. And for Colts or Pacers coverage, there are many other ways to get that. I'm not a Bob Kravitz fan, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis