Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 08:43 PM

11 posts, read 25,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTruth View Post
Completely agree with your assessment.
I know you're received a lot of flak for your postings, but I really have appreciated reading your criticism. It gives a unique perspective for those of us not sure if Indianapolis is the best place for a potential relocation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 11:49 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewProspect View Post
I know you're received a lot of flak for your postings, but I really have appreciated reading your criticism. It gives a unique perspective for those of us not sure if Indianapolis is the best place for a potential relocation.
It honestly doesn't. The criticism is completely insane and this is coming from a person that is moving away.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:47 PM

918 posts, read 1,697,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
It honestly doesn't. The criticism is completely insane and this is coming from a person that is moving away.
Why ? From personal experience, as someone who spent 15 years of his life in Indy, the OP's viewpoint is logically sound and shared by many, agree or disagree. "Insane" might be someone telling people not to move to Indy because it's overrun with flesh-eating 10-foot spiders or someone saying Indy is too expensive or too prone to earthquakes.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:09 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
Why ? From personal experience, as someone who spent 15 years of his life in Indy, the OP's viewpoint is logically sound and shared by many, agree or disagree. "Insane" might be someone telling people not to move to Indy because it's overrun with flesh-eating 10-foot spiders or someone saying Indy is too expensive or too prone to earthquakes.
It is one thing to not like a place, it is another to cherry pick asinine things and spam an online forum with vitriol (it happens in every city's sub forum on the city data). Indianapolis is prone to earthquakes in real life, by the way.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:33 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,058,916 times
Quote:
....Indy is too expensive or too prone to earthquakes.
Indy IS prone to earthquakes... Make sure you have earthquake insurance coverage on your home.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
It is one thing to not like a place, it is another to cherry pick asinine things and spam an online forum with vitriol (it happens in every city's sub forum on the city data). Indianapolis is prone to earthquakes in real life, by the way.
Which asinine things were cherry picked ? Many people share the opinion that Indy doesn't have enough to offer young professionals in terms of walkable vibrant neighborhoods, public transportation options and a great happy hour scene.

It doesn't mean that everyone has to agree with this, mind you, but it's hardly asinine or insane. I also just reread the beginning of the thread on page one and the only vitriol I can see starts with overly defensive replies to the OP.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Indy IS prone to earthquakes... Make sure you have earthquake insurance coverage on your home.
Ok, my mistake. Still, generally speaking, quakes aren't one of the primary concerns of someone living in Central Indiana. But I'll concede.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Which asinine things were cherry picked ? Many people share the opinion that Indy doesn't have enough to offer young professionals in terms of walkable vibrant neighborhoods, public transportation options and a great happy hour scene.

It doesn't mean that everyone has to agree with this, mind you, but it's hardly asinine or insane. I also just reread the beginning of the thread on page one and the only vitriol I can see starts with overly defensive replies to the OP.
Can you show me the data where over 50% of 23 year old's in Indianapolis are married? Do you agree with the fact that there are hardly any young people that live in Broad Ripple or Downtown? I also didn't realize Indianapolis was constantly bypassed by musicians so that they could hold their concerts in Louisville.

If you look at the OP's other posts, you'll see that the only things that he or she posts are constantly railing on Indianapolis. Criticism is one thing, pure hatred is another. If you hate where you live, shut up and leave.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Can you show me the data where over 50% of 23 year old's in Indianapolis are married?
I cannot. I'm unable to show the opposite either. The OP is probably speaking from anecdotal experience (i.e. people he or she has met). Hardly scientific, but to call it insane is an enormous reach.

Quote:
Do you agree with the fact that there are hardly any young people that live in Broad Ripple or Downtown?
I don't.

To be fair, OP states that there isn't any "significant" percentage of young people living downtown. That's probably compared to other cities and again, an arbitrary evaluation that's hardly insane.

Quote:
I also didn't realize Indianapolis was constantly bypassed by musicians so that they could hold their
concerts in Louisville.
I'm not sure, even having lived in both cities. Being bypassed by bands/musicians, though, was a constant complaint that I've heard from my concert enthusiast friends during the 15 years I spent living in Indy.

Quote:
If you look at the OP's other posts, you'll see that the only things that he or she posts are constantly railing on Indianapolis.
That's probably true, looking at the username, it appears that this is someone who is frustrated by living in Indy and made an account on CD to vent about the city. Not uncommon

Quote:
Criticism is one thing, pure hatred is another. If you hate where you live, shut up and leave.
Sorry, I still don't see the hatred. I see a certain degree of frustration but nothing that really crosses the line (at least in the OP, I don't recall the other posts made). I called Indy home for 15 years and often I found nothing more annoying than people with whom you couldn't have a conversation and not hear about how much they can't stand my city. Noone wants to hear others bashing the place where they live in. Even so, we shouldn't immediately discount the arguments we don't agree with, no matter how much we hate to hear them. I don't see the vitriol you're talking about, I see a legit argument outlined by specific points from someone's point of view. Of course, it doesn't mean anyone else has to agree with it but people who are considering moving here should hear from all sides.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:33 AM

Quote:
I cannot. I'm unable to show the opposite either. The OP is probably speaking from anecdotal experience (i.e. people he or she has met). Hardly scientific, but to call it insane is an enormous reach.
Only 41% of people in the entire city are married. Anyone that has ever lived Downtown knows the numbers there are significantly lower there.
//www.city-data.com/city/Indianapolis-Indiana.html

Quote:
I don't.

To be fair, OP states that there isn't any "significant" percentage of young people living downtown. That's probably compared to other cities and again, an arbitrary evaluation that's hardly insane.
Roughly 54% of people living Downtown are between the ages of 18 and 34 (Page 28). To me that seems rather significant.
http://www.indyvelocity.com/wp-conte...ActionPlan.pdf

Quote:
Sorry, I still don't see the hatred. I see a certain degree of frustration but nothing that really crosses the line (at least in the OP, I don't recall the other posts made). I called Indy home for 15 years and often I found nothing more annoying than people with whom you couldn't have a conversation and not hear about how much they can't stand my city. Noone wants to hear others bashing the place where they live in. Even so, we shouldn't immediately discount the arguments we don't agree with, no matter how much we hate to hear them. I don't see the vitriol you're talking about, I see a legit argument outlined by specific points from someone's point of view. Of course, it doesn't mean anyone else has to agree with it but people who are considering moving here should hear from all sides.
I'm sorry, I still don't agree with someone just constantly trashing a city they don't like. It's just like how BroadRippleGuy used to constantly bash Chicago, Detroit, and California. It isn't something that leads to productive conversation. Constructive criticism is great, but just trying to do everything you can to stop someone from moving somewhere is crossing a line. That's why you see harsh defensive reactions towards the OP.

I've said this before and I will say it again, I don't love living in Indianapolis. I think it's a decent city for the Midwest and Downtown is developing nicely, but it really isn't big enough for me. As soon as I finish up my degree, I'm moving to a larger city. I only mention that because it isn't as if you're talking to someone that is head over heels in love with this place. I'm a realist that will eventually leave, but don't just trash the city constantly because it isn't exactly what I want for the rest of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis