Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 08:50 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times

Advertisements

I've heard people say recently that they don't go to Broad Ripple after dark any longer to restaurants and bars due to increased crime.

WISH TV recently had a report stating that police were called to a 1000 ft. radius area in Broad Ripple 92 times in August. The crimes included armed robbery and assaults.

I know that there have been large crowds of teens standing on the sidewalks, making it difficult to navigate from one business to another. It seems the "no loitering" that many businesses have posted aren't helping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 11:09 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I've heard people say recently that they don't go to Broad Ripple after dark any longer to restaurants and bars due to increased crime.

WISH TV recently had a report stating that police were called to a 1000 ft. radius area in Broad Ripple 92 times in August. The crimes included armed robbery and assaults.

I know that there have been large crowds of teens standing on the sidewalks, making it difficult to navigate from one business to another. It seems the "no loitering" that many businesses have posted aren't helping.
I think quoting a stat of 92 police runs within 1000 ft of some random spot is a tad dishonest. It would be interesting to see what that spot is, and what those runs were for. I say that because the local media is known for misrepresenting stats and blowing things out of proportion to scare people.

However, I too know people who have stopped going to Broad Ripple because of crime concerns. I know scores more who haven't. I know people who continue to visit Broad Ripple weekly with no problems. I like what the residents of Broad Ripple are doing, banding together and not waiting for the city to take action for them. The parking garage will help too, it seems that the most common crimes have been people mugged walking on the dark side streets.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:39 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,054,484 times
I've heard of the same thing but have never had a single issue personally.... *knock on wood*. I think one does need to have a certain amount of street smarts and be aware of his/her surroundings to avoid at least some of the risk.. Example, if you are a mildly buzzed 20 something year old guy/gal, you probably shouldn't be walking alone on a dark, empty side street @ 2:30 AM. I wouldn't do that in any town... That's just asking for trouble. Always walk in groups or just take a cab at those hours... You could always be armed too but that comes with a whole new set of issues as well that you'd have to really think through...

Old 09-23-2012, 01:13 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times
I haven't had any problems but it is rather annoying to have to walk around and through groups of teens just to get from your car to a restaurant or other business.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:14 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,054,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I haven't had any problems but it is rather annoying to have to walk around and through groups of teens just to get from your car to a restaurant or other business.
Yeah, I've noticed that as well and I agree! It's very irritating....

Old 09-28-2012, 09:48 AM

102 posts, read 143,417 times
The truth? Former High School jocks turned pseudo-yuppies (ie: aggro jerk-offs) and teen Blacks = hostility, hatefulness and crime (bad vibes, in general). Back in the mid/late 80's crime was a rarity (to say the least), loitering was heavy, but it was White Alt.Punk types, so it consisted of little crime (as opposed to today).

Old 09-28-2012, 11:01 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,264,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Yeah, I've noticed that as well and I agree! It's very irritating....
From what I've gathered based on news articles, the police have really stepped up patrols downtown on weekend nights and started making the teens that used to hangout there after Circle Centre closes at 9 leave. So those groups have migrated to Broad Ripple instead.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:18 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBeano View Post
The truth? Former High School jocks turned pseudo-yuppies (ie: aggro jerk-offs) and teen Blacks = hostility, hatefulness and crime (bad vibes, in general). Back in the mid/late 80's crime was a rarity (to say the least), loitering was heavy, but it was White Alt.Punk types, so it consisted of little crime (as opposed to today).
What does any of this have to do with criminals pistol whipping and robbing people on dark side streets?

(nothing)

Old 09-29-2012, 05:09 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,075,685 times
Crime in Broad Ripple seems to be getting worse. However, it isn't shocking. We have a large % of people who are born and raised on various welfare programs. They have no money, so they go and take what they need. Some rob, some burglarize. They will target people who have money, and for the most part, there is minimal money in poor areas so they go outside to areas where there is stuff worthy of taking. This is why you have seen increased thefts in Broad Ripple, Fall Creek Place, and Fishers (the places where the news has been reported most frequently within the last couple of months).

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Example, if you are a mildly buzzed 20 something year old guy/gal, you probably shouldn't be walking alone on a dark, empty side street @ 2:30 AM. I wouldn't do that in any town... That's just asking for trouble. Always walk in groups or just take a cab at those hours... You could always be armed too but that comes with a whole new set of issues as well that you'd have to really think through...
The problem is that groups are getting robbed. This has been an issue for many years really, but it has gotten worse this past year. When I lived in Broad Ripple back in the early 2000s, a group of three got robbed on the Monon Trail. There were one or two other incidents. You are correct in that many of these folks (heading back from the bars) are like intoxicated, buzzed. If you are a criminal and get caught and get a halfway decent lawyer, they can paint the victim(s) as a drunkard whose recollection of the facts should be suspect. If things are so bad that one has to take a cab 1/2 mile home, I would consider moving from that area.

The timing just seems to be based on many factors: Less police out on the street, horrible economy (despite what some say), exploding cradle to grave welfare generation, slap on the wrist criminal justice system for minor things like driving while suspeneded, no place to house these dangerous people as we have limited prison/jail space, a target rich environment that is fairly close to home, and the abundance of costly electronics that almost everyone with money has (smart phones, digital cameras).

Check out the Keep Broad Ripple Safe Facebook page. It has some good details about just how bad things are getting (seems that the bulk of the media has focused on the robberies, but there are burglaries occurring on a constant basis).

I don't see things getting better anytime soon.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:20 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,909,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
Crime in Broad Ripple seems to be getting worse. However, it isn't shocking. We have a large % of people who are born and raised on various welfare programs. They have no money, so they go and take what they need. Some rob, some burglarize. They will target people who have money, and for the most part, there is minimal money in poor areas so they go outside to areas where there is stuff worthy of taking. This is why you have seen increased thefts in Broad Ripple, Fall Creek Place, and Fishers (the places where the news has been reported most frequently within the last couple of months).
You keep chewing on that same ole rag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis