Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 01:44 AM

368 posts, read 638,415 times

Advertisements

when i see a panhandler approaching i always ask him or her if they have any change or cigs.i dont smoke and they leave me alone so it works for all invloved
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 03:23 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,075,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
I've never heard of "Knockout King"... Isn't that some sort of video game? Do tell....

As for getting a "random beat down" by a bunch of teens, I think most punks would think otherwise by the way I look! Not to mention I do have a CC license and usually carry and will protect myself if my life is in danger...
Knockout King is a "game" that is just a random beating of a person. The motive is the beating of the person, not robbery, not due for any particular reason. It may or may not involve a gang initiation. The term is believed to have come out of St. Louis. One older Korean man was beaten to death by younger people and it is believed the reason for the beating was Knockout King. There are numerous news reports available if you Google the term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
Isn't it illegal for beggers to ask for change in downtown? I mean I know that is not going to stop them, but I heard someone talking about a law against it.
There is a city-county ordinance (for Indianapolis) and a state law. The state law prohibits panhandling in certain circumstances: Near an ATM, near outdoor seating areas at restaurants, between certain times, only allowed to ask once, and a few other actions. The city-county ordinance was said to be more strict, and they wanted an even stricter ban. The thing is, people have freedom of speech, but since some in the general population are so skittish, they demand that the undesirables be silenced.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:06 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
I do get asked often if i have a smoke. I dont smoke so it works out good. Smokers stink so the pan handlers would know if was lying.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:56 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,443 times
Panhandling is common in a lot of cities. I do think Indianapolis has a particularly bad problem with it, though. The beggars there are numerous and aggressive.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:58 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
The thing is, people have freedom of speech, but since some in the general population are so skittish, they demand that the undesirables be silenced.
Which "undesirables" are you referring to, Rave?

Old 10-04-2012, 03:45 PM

261 posts, read 500,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Panhandling is common in a lot of cities. I do think Indianapolis has a particularly bad problem with it, though. The beggars there are numerous and aggressive.

Agreed. Indianapolis has worse panhandlers than NYC. The ones here are rude and aggressive.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Which "undesirables" are you referring to, Rave?
Those people (maybe homeless, maybe not) who are loitering, asking (some call begging) for something (money, food, gas, etc.).

Old 10-04-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy18 View Post
Agreed. Indianapolis has worse panhandlers than NYC. The ones here are rude and aggressive.
NYC got very tough on various crimes, which panhandlers/beggars (homeless or not) seemed to be more inclined to do than others: Block traffic, urinate in public, be intoxicated in public, etc.. They say that strong enforcement really got the point across to stop being so aggressive towards the general public. Also, it takes undercover operations to sometimes enforce panhandling laws. Most victims don't want to deal with the issue, and if the victim doesn't want to press charges, there is no reason to make arrests and press charges that won't stick. So plain cloth undercover officers are needed to just walk around and become victims of panhandlers who violate the law. Of course that sometimes means taking officers off the street, or overtime, both of which are likely negatives given the current situation in Indianapolis (money and number of officer issues). I do believe I've read where IMPD in the past (though not recently) has engaged in these types of stings, likely when enough people complain about certain very aggressive panhandlers.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:25 PM

261 posts, read 500,769 times
Has anyone else encountered the aggressive people downtown who will insist that you take a rose or some other crappy little object so that they can get a buck out of you? They don't take no for an answer.

I never give anyone any money. One time though, I was walking out of the CVS at Ohio and Illinois with a 12 pack of coke. A man asked me for a coke and I gave him one. You would have thought I handed him a 100 dollar bill. He was very appreciative.

Overall though, most of them just want money and many don't like to take no for an answer.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:49 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
Sure not new. Remember the "Moonies" that used to hit people up in airports and other public places. I think a smile, a no and keep walking, is fine and sufficiently polite. Sometimes I will compliment a nice looking dog they might have and then keep on walking. I never get in conversations with aggressive people and will pretend to be deaf if necessary.

Of course, it helps to look a little like a homeless person than some of the well dressed workers downtown. I am usually in a garage sale/thrift store outfit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis